Rockport Technologies System III Sirius turntable & arm + Lyra Olympos - I need help

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I have purchased a used Rockport Technologies System III Sirius turntable and arm in addition to a Lyra Olympos cartridge. With my current illness and since I am a perfectionist without any setup experience With turntables or cartridges I would like some help to set up this baby.

I live in Europe and since the local distributor and dealers only appeared quite a while after the Sirius III was discontinued I assume they don't have any experience with it.

So I am looking for a dealer or someone else having set up this turntable before to help me. I would pay you and cover your travel expenses.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Roysen

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have purchased a used Rockport Technologies System III Sirius turntable and arm in addition to a Lyra Olympos cartridge. With my current illness and since I am a perfectionist without any setup experience With turntables or cartridges I would like some help to set up this baby.

I live in Europe and since the local distributor and dealers only appeared quite a while after the Sirius III was discontinued I assume they don't have any experience with it.

So I am looking for a dealer or someone else having set up this turntable before to help me. I would pay you and cover your travel expenses.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Roysen

hello Roysen,

first of all, congrats on acquiring the Sirius III. I know that has been on your agenda for a long time.

I cannot travel to you. but I would be happy to assist in any way. it could even be done over Skype. and honestly all you really need is Andy Payor available for questions if you get stuck.

the Rockport System III Sirius is actually a very straight forward product to set up. I moved mine 4 times when I owned it without a problem.

and the arm is quite easy to install a cartridge on since the arm wand can be removed from the arm assembly. the actual dialing in of the cartridge is very straight forward on the Sirius III. the different aspects relate to making sure the plinth is level as the arm wand is very sensitive to that issue. that is done with the three valve adjusters under the plinth. next; making sure the tiny air hose and the signal wires are properly placed so they do not restrict the full free movement of the arm wand assembly along the air shaft. and when tightening the tiny tiny arm wand set screws do not over tighten and strip them....or lose them. then regulating the air flow. and finally simply keeping the air shaft clean. the other big deal is whether to use the silicone fluid for the arm dampning. I preferred no dampning for the Olympos myself, whereas my vdH Colibri's needed the dampning.

added notes; the tightness of the arm wand set screws does have a considerable influence on the tightness of the bass performance. and additionally; there is an assembly at the end of the tonearm airshaft that can come loose and the sound will get all confused. it takes one of those 2-point tools to tighten. do not raise the arm assembly too high or it will come off the tracks. these are all things I learned living with this beast.

and power cords matter.

doing the overhang for the cartridge is fairly easy since you can line it up on the grooves in the platter, the trick is nailing the alignment and azimuth since there are no linear tracking templates to give you references. it seemed to work best to tape down another template in place. this part is a bit tricky.

and make sure the gasket for the vacuum hold down is in good condition on the platter. it will still work if it has small cuts, but for a new one you would need to contact Andy.

your compressor can be 'weak'; but if it is weak, a rebuild kit is cheap ($30 plus shipping) for the compressor motor and easy to install. it took some sleuthing for me (Andy was little help on this issue) to figure out the cure when I had compressor problems. let me know on this and I will look up the info. the Sirius should come up to full air pressure within a couple of minutes.....if not then it needs to be checked. it is important to shut the unit off once quickly every 2 hours for the compressor to expel the moisture build-up. otherwise you can/will get moisture in the arm shaft and possibly the air bearing too. just 10 seconds off and on will do it.

it does take a couple of reasonably strong people to place the rack where you want it, and then to set the plinth down properly on top. and then the motor drive is not too heavy, but the 55 pound platter is heavy too.

assuming you have the instructions on hand for guidance and someone who carefully goes over them with you it should be a reasonably straight-forward procedure. all the connections are color coded. I did it the first time with minimal hassle (so anyone should be able to do it. ;))

it's actually more trouble for disassembly since there are no clear instructions on what not to dis-assemble. and I assume you know that this unit was working 100% correct before it was shipped to you.

there has never been a piece of audio gear built quite like the Sirius III, and it is a wonder in construction.

if I can help please let me know.

best regards,

Mike

PS; stuff keeps popping into my head as I sit here and recall the 8 years of pleasure with my Sirius III. i'll come back and add thoughts that I think could be helpful.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Johan K

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks Mike. I really appriciate this and will try to give it go myself. The Sirius has not arrived yet, so I am a little bit premature. It will arrive soon.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Roysen's

Hope recovery's on the way. There is a new UK dealer for Rockport but he has owned the Sirius personally for many years and has a reputation of really knowing his stuff. If you need his contacts let me know.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi Roysen's

Hope recovery's on the way. There is a new UK dealer for Rockport but he has owned the Sirius personally for many years and has a reputation of really knowing his stuff. If you need his contacts let me know.

Thanks Lloyd.

That would be great. He could be a great person to have as a backup solution. I would be very grateful if you could provide his contact info.

cakeaudio

Jun 8, 2012
Southern California

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Roysen

Roysen, I spoke to Andy Payor today about your concern. Let me know if you have specific questions and I can get Andy involved and see if we can get it taken care of.

Ken Boyce
Cake Audio
Authorized Rockport Technologies Dealer
California USA

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Roysen, I spoke to Andy Payor today about your concern. Let me know if you have specific questions and I can get Andy involved and see if we can get it taken care of.

Ken Boyce
Cake Audio
California USA

Ken-Thanks for being a standup guy and jumping in here to help Roysen. I for one think it's really nice of you to reach out and help someone that was never a customer of yours. Kudos to you my friend.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011

Ken Boyce
Cake Audio
California USA

Thank you so much Ken. This shows customer service on a Level I am not accustomed to. I have also been offered help from a bit more local Sirius owner. I guess it would be more practical. I would however like to have the option to contact in case I should need it if you don't mind. As far as Arrakis goes, I will try to find a spot in my schedule to come over to hear the Arrakis. I will keep in touch.

Thanks again for this level of help.
Roysen

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd.

That would be great. He could be a great person to have as a backup solution. I would be very grateful if you could provide his contact info.

Done. Meanwhile, also great to have Cake Audio help. Good luck.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
My hired help to set up this turntable had to pull out due to illness in the family. I need new help for this task preferably from someone with experiance with a Sirius III setup.

I will pay to have help flown in both in terms of plane ticket, hotel and for the actual job. I live in Norway, close to the Oslo international airport.

Does anyone know Ernest Lau from Hong Kong. I believe he has set up several himself.

All the best,
Roy

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
LL21should have a bead on Lau ...

yogaflyer1

May 22, 2011
Hi,

I bought a system III new many years ago from Andy, and would be glad to try help you. I live in Omaha, NE. I am quite happy with the turntable, and find it easy to work with.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My hired help to set up this turntable had to pull out due to illness in the family. I need new help for this task preferably from someone with experiance with a Sirius III setup.

I will pay to have help flown in both in terms of plane ticket, hotel and for the actual job. I live in Norway, close to the Oslo international airport.

Does anyone know Ernest Lau from Hong Kong. I believe he has set up several himself.

All the best,
Roy

I know Ernie...have him on my Facebook page.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi,

I bought a system III new many years ago from Andy, and would be glad to try help you. I live in Omaha, NE. I am quite happy with the turntable, and find it easy to work with.

Great. I just want to point out again that I live in Norway - Europe, but that I would cover travel expences, hotel and your fee.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Myles! I will get back to you on this if it doesn't work out with yogaflyer1

I guess Ernest did not reply my email to him and you? Sorry...I am happy to email him again if you wish. He is usually pretty responsive.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I guess Ernest did not reply my email to him and you? Sorry...I am happy to email him again if you wish. He is usually pretty responsive.

Actually he didn't reply, but lets keep him as a backup. I don't know him or if he would be willing to fly over. Since it seems I can get help here I don't want him to feel any preasure. So lets wait.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Actually he didn't reply, but lets keep him as a backup. I don't know him or if he would be willing to fly over. Since it seems I can get help here I don't want him to feel any preasure. So lets wait.

Done. Just let me know. Good luck.

Wilson Ng

Aug 19, 2014
Hong Kong
Rockport Problem

All the best,
Roy

Yes, I am from Hong Kong and I know Earnest Lau for over 30 years. If you still need to contact him, please let me know.

108CY

May 4, 2013
It was very sad to Hear that Roysen had died recently after battling with his illness. He will always be remembered by myself as a very enthusiastic audiophile who really followed this passion to the maximum.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing