Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Actual number of tapes??

Actual number of tapes??

Hey all, is there anyway to see just how many tape recordings are available for purchase?? I am pretty much a classical guy, though tapes of Rush, Boston, CCR, The Eagles, Moody Blues,The Beatles and Elton John would be okay...There is a list of highly recommended tapes in the current issue of TAS but surely that cannot be the entire listing of whats available....or is it???

Also, what might be a killer sticky for this part of the forum is a listing of all the currently known tape dealers (well, those who sell prerecorded tapes) so that hard core newbies like me who are just learning about the glories of tape can have some resources....

Cheers,

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by NMMark1962 View Post
    Hey all, is there anyway to see just how many tape recordings are available for purchase?? I am pretty much a classical guy, though tapes of Rush, Boston, CCR, The Eagles, Moody Blues,The Beatles and Elton John would be okay...There is a list of highly recommended tapes in the current issue of TAS but surely that cannot be the entire listing of whats available....or is it???

Also, what might be a killer sticky for this part of the forum is a listing of all the currently known tape dealers (well, those who sell prerecorded tapes) so that hard core newbies like me who are just learning about the glories of tape can have some resources....

Cheers,
    If you do a search here you will find several threads detailing exactly what you ask
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Can you link the article?

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Asamel View Post
    Can you link the article?
    Commercially Available Tapes

"Search is Your Friend"......
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Thanks Bruce.

NMMark1962 can you post the TAS link?

Quote Originally Posted by Asamel View Post
    Thanks Bruce.

NMMark1962 can you post the TAS link?
    Evening,

What I read about tapes is in the current issue #234 (July/August). I just started reading TAS after a long hiatus so I am not sure what TAS' policy is regarding the reading/viewing of articles. Maybe once an issue is old (say, May/June) and the new issue (July/August) is out you may be able to view it as an archived report...The special report/article I am talking about starts on page 60 and is written by Jonathan Valin and deals with United Home Audio's UHA-HQ Tape Deck and the "New-Gen Reel-to-Reel tapes"....part of his report he refers to a "Select Reelography" and then proceeds to cover examples of several companies who produce R2R tape, like Opus3, The Tape Project (hideously expensive) and others...the tapes he mentions are classical, pop, rock, blues.....thus my question about the creation or the locating of an exhaustive as possible list of tape companies and the releases that are offered...I have to now curse Mike Lavigne for sparking this unhealthy interest in tape.....BLAST, as if wanting to buy a killer turntable was not enough, now I am getting interested in tape....CURSE YOU!!!! May you be forced to listen to Justin Bieber on scratched CDs (wait, i will apologize to any Bieber fans here)....

Sorry that until the current issue is "old" the only way to read it is to buy the magazine.....or, sign up for a free trial issue, get the current and then cancel the subscription....

Cheers,

Member Sponsor Member Greg Beron's Avatar
    The quick list off the top of my head of commercial Master Tapes is as follows.
    I have contacted many more recording companies that are kinda on the fence about issuing their libraries on tape. I believe they want to see a bit more activity or probably sales from tape copies before they jump into the ring.
    I have one new company with a great classical library and a great name in audiophile recordings that should be announcing their entry into the Master Tape arena soon, but I won't steal their press. The tapes will be available from Kevin Berg at Elusive Disc. There is also an operation in Germany that sells tape copies but I cannot recall their name.
    Please post any additions to this list, or if I left anyone out.

Opus 3 : http://www.opus3records.com/

International Phonograph Inc. : http://internationalphonographinc.com/

The Tape Project : http://www.tapeproject.com/

Yarlung Records : yarlungrecords.com

Premonition Records : premonitionrecords.com

Ultra Analogue Recordings : ultraanaloguerecordings.com

Groove Note Records : Can't find a web site but the tapes are available from Kevin Berg with Elusive Disc.

Master Tape Sound Lab : http://www.mastertapesoundlab.com/Ma...b/Welcome.html

Thanks for posting Greg. Could you please post the details when that new company comes on line?

BTW Yarlung has recently released some new tape titles which I've ordered after this thread prompted me to revisit the web site.

Bruce in PA

MANY thanks,

This is what I was referring to....something that could become a sticky and could have new links added to as perhaps new companies come in line to release new material...and if tape continues to grow and prosper we will see more new companies appear....more for the better of all!!!

Cheers,

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    sticky it is
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast