New VPI Table

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Ultra 5s under Groove Master DD

Based on my experiences using Ultra 5s under the plinths of non-suspended tables I believe their contribution can be significant. I attached Ultra 5s to the plinth of my Aries 1 and replaced the stock fee of the motor pod with 6/32 Ultra Minis. With the table already using the HRX bearing/platter/periphery ring, this Aries now has a blacker background than any previous VPI I have heard save the VPI DD. I believe that to be a significant improvement. YMMV, of course...

ZERMATT, do you mind sharing the context under which you made the above observation ("IT sounded good (the VPI DD), but not as good as other tables I have heard").....Was this in your own system, and if not how familiar were you with the system that you did hear it in?.... Just curious how you know what the VPI DD was doing , (or not doing ), that caused your look warm evaluation of it. Reason I ask is we just installed a PBN AUDIO GROOVE MASTER DD, in our studio and it is easily the best analogue front end we have ever heard. THE PBN unit uses the same motor, drive system and controller as the VPI DD View attachment 16235 , but in a custom EBONY PLINTH with STILLPOINT ULTRA 5'S . Don't know how much the plinth and the STILLPOINTS brought to the over all sound, however we also had the pleasure of using the VPI DD, in our demo room at 2014 CES, and it worked exceedingly well (so much so, that AVSHOWROOMS gave us a GOLD award for one of the best rooms at CES/THE SHOW )

Cheers.................T.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Mr. JAZZ;
You are correct my observations are not completely true to an objective scientific methodology. The only way to really judge the performance is to measure the motor performance and isolation and then have other TT in the listening room to compare.
On the other hand, I do not believe that using the retail cost is a reliable indicator for better performance or long term value.

BTW: My friend will be bring his VPI over to the individual with the CALIBURN this weekend. I will be there. IF its OK with them, I will report back on our findings.

Peter A: your comment: 'it must take much more experience than I have to know what a particular analog component is contributing to the sound'. I like to believe that I am just having fun when listening to my system or my friends; and, given that view point I look for the following features in new products.

A: What is the resolution (detail level) vs. the level of musicality in the overall performance.
B: When using my favorite LP's and CD's, I ask myself do I want to hear more or is the same old song.

We often use Shelby Lynee on LP and CD as a consistent source. There are others like Patrica Kass Live but this is not on LP.

When you do this comparison, try to make sure both tables are re checked for proper VTA, tracking forces, etc, and if at all possible, make sure you use the same interconnects and cartridge (IF you fail to do this, the interconnects and cartridge "may have" a greater effect on the sound than either of the tables ). Have fun, and please report back.

CHEERS........T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing