Calgary, AB
Simple elegance! Nice!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I like the 33/45 option on the turntable... maybe making the SDS superfluous?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
<ducking> I wish VPI would offer a 'table with a hinged dust cover again.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, how much is that set-up. Looks really good and probably sounds as good as it looks.

Price TBD but in the neighborhood of $20K. Available probably late summer.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think that VPI tables will compete at whatever their price points are. History tells us so. And VPI has a history to reflect back on.

Reactions: assessor43

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, it's going to face some VERY stiff competition at that price. Including the AMG table among others. Will it compete?

Time will tell.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Myles, it's going to face some VERY stiff competition at that price. Including the AMG table among others. Will it compete?

Just IMO, one reason I'm interested in it is VPI's long history of good customer service and support for old products. Personally I want my next TT to be my last, so being able to get it serviced in 20 or 30 years is something I take into consideration.

Harry Weisfeld compared the Classic DD/3D arm to tape running at 30 ips! I don't think vinyl would ever be able to reach that level of performance, but a strong statement none the less.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
hvbias, did you hear the comparison between the tape and his new TT/arm.IF Harry's new TT can compare to tape, it's definitely a winner IMO. ( that's a very BIG if though).

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
hvbias, did you hear the comparison between the tape and his new TT/arm.IF Harry's new TT can compare to tape, it's definitely a winner IMO. ( that's a very BIG if though).

I haven't, that was something HW posted on Audio Asylum.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Really good LP playback already 'compares' to tape. It's already much closer than you think.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Really good LP playback already 'compares' to tape. It's already much closer than you think.

Maybe at Mike's but it doesn't approach here. Just more of everything. Especially when it comes to dynamic ease.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i like the new table but the footprint borders on being too large. my only beef with any new VPI is that you're stuck using their arm, i off'd my classic and kept the TNT for that reason (removable armboard). someone should also tell them the black n gold look went out with the 1980s.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Maybe at Mike's but it doesn't approach here. Just more of everything. Especially when it comes to dynamic ease.

I don't know about Mike's place because I have never been there. I was specifically speaking about my system and what I hear. You may well have a better tape playback system than me and the differences are more pronounced at your place. I'm not trying to say LPs sound as good as tape, just that I don't see a big difference with well-recorded LPs, specially 45 RPM LPs. I have a professional Otari deck and Ampex 350s. I think the combo sounds really, really good, but I'm sure there is better sound to be had with even better gear.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
LP will never reach Studer and a great outboard pre like Doshi or King/Cello

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Again, I'm not saying that LPs sound as good as really good tape, but it's closer than some people think. Buying tapes is a crap shoot because just like LPs, their quality can vary all over the place. There are bad sounding master tapes that make bad sounding copies and some tapes can suffer during the transfer process. There is a reason I sold my TP tapes.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Again, I'm not saying that LPs sound as good as really good tape, but it's closer than some people think. Buying tapes is a crap shoot because just like LPs, their quality can vary all over the place. There are bad sounding master tapes that make bad sounding copies and some tapes can suffer during the transfer process. There is a reason I sold my TP tapes.

Was there quality issues with the TP tapes?

The gold is actually bronze, those parts will also be available in silver.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing