Accuphase DP-900/DC-901...thoughts?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Mark - I know that we have joked offline regarding what is going on on the forums and the the agendas behind certain opinions that are beeing posted, but this time I really ment what I said, and such comparo really took place today :)

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Mark - I know that we have joked offline regarding what is going on on the forums and the the agendas behind certain opinions that are beeing posted, but this time I really ment what I said, and such comparo really took place today :)

Gosh, it was not my intent to insult anyone....and I hope I did not!!! I have heard quite a few folks who ears I trust implicitly say that they have heard the dCS Vivaldi (DAC & Transport only) trounce Esoteric (no surprise there), Playback Designs, Accuphase, etc....your post was just another report that the mighty Vivaldi came out on top of another worthy competitor!!

Cheers,

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You didn't Mark :) I just thought that following our last conversation you thought I was sarcastic :)

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
A fellow audiophile from another forum had compared the CH precision combo to the Vivaldi stack today. He have been using the CH combo for the past couple of days and got the dCS yesterday for comparision from another dealer.

According to him - there simply no comparision between the two. The dCS blew the CH away. The dCS was more dynamic, had more resolution, but at the same time - was much smoother and analog sounding.

The other DAC he tried was Metronome C8 fed by Metronome CDP (and CH precision transport).

The dCS was a clear winner.

System used?

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
I'm a CH Precision owner. When the opportunity to listen to the dCS Vivaldi came, I was a bit worried it may better the CH Precision. I listened to the dCS with a couple of my friends who are familiar with my CH Precision and we unanimously agreed that the CH was better.

Last edited:

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Hell, enjoyed the words used here... trashing trouncing blowing bouncing - WWE?LoL..:p
I'd like to think that at this level, after having heard a couple of the aforementioned, that just isn't happening. Different yes. Slightly better probably. Yet again, it's a matter of taste and pretty much system matching/synergy/dependent.. and as always, very subjective.

My criteria of buying into high end digital today is rather simple : 1) Enjoyable 2) Reasonable 3) Resell-able.
Hate to get caught up like some friends who bought into best of the best (supposedly) foray of mere 2-3yrs ago (Stahl-Tek, Orpheus) only to find to their horror what dealers are willing to take them back in for trade deals today.

So for me, moderation plus some consideration as these had me settling with the more mainstream players. One that will also be easier to rid off in case the next upgrade bug bit again in a couple of years. FWIW :b

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm a CH Precision owner. When the opportunity to listen to the dCS Vivaldi came, I was a bit worried it may better the CH Precision. I listened to the dCS with a couple of my friends who are familiar with my CH Precision and we unanimously agreed that the CH was better.

And CH precision discussion which you just luckily spotted in ACCUPHASE thread, made you register and post your first post. Riiiiight.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
System used?

He has the Focal Stella Utopia EM (one model below the top of the range, Grande Utopia EM) and T+A M10 monos.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I like Accuphase digital works a lot, and have had at least three CDP from them - they do have a "house sound" that I would describe as golden, velveted and crisp, defintely of my liking.

I have heard on the other hand highly over-prices, hyper-detailed CDPs/DACs letely, not of my liking!

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Okay....so the CH D1 plays SACD.....COOL...I will add it to the audition list.....I will ONLY consider a digital front end as long as it plays SACDs....

Cheers,

You need to add the Soulution 745 to that audition list and the new APL combination with the DSD-Master DAC. Orpheus Labs has to two very good SACD capable combinations (Privelige SACD Transport & DAC Mk.II and the very recently released new top model Heritage SACD Transport & DAC Mk.III).

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
Very interesting link.

I spoke right now with the developer. They have very interesting pre/power amps. I hope I can hear this amps soon.

Josef

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very interesting link.

I spoke right now with the developer. They have very interesting pre/power amps. I hope I can hear this amps soon.

Josef

Great...please post your thoughts if you hear them.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
CH stands for the last name of the founders - Cossy and Heeb . . . while C1 uses 4 R2R 1704 pr channel.

I thought it stood for CHip Dac. I am sure it sounds great. But it's overtaken the Stahl Tek as the world's most expensive CHip DAC. :)

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
I have never heard the famous ACCUPHASE sound. The DAC that I prefer so far is the NAGRA HD DAC. Very musical but very precise. Have you heard some NAGRA sound yet ? Is ACCUPHASE in the same emotional territory ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing