Accuphase DP-900/DC-901...thoughts?

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Evening,

Has anyone here heard this combo?? I heard its two generations ago predecessor, the DP-100/DC-101 several years ago, and despite a long flashing TOC message, I remember it did a great job on CD and killer job on SACD playback. Now, we have those old timer's grandchildren and I wonder what the new kids sound like. While I am sure the new dCS Vivaldi stack is the cat's meow, I bet this Accuphase kit is a lot less expensive and certainly calls for a smaller gaggle of cables...

Any feedback would be appreciated!!!

Cheers,

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You may try 'Ozy' on Audiogon...he owned the Accuphase 900/901 for about a year (replacing Esoteric P-01 4-box)...and most recently changed over to the DCS Vivaldi stack.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
From what I've heard, the DP-900/DC-901 sounds a bit different to the DP-800/DC-801 combo I'm familiar with (and DP-100/DC-101, which is similar in tonality to DP-800/DC-801). The new DP-900/DC-901 combo is based on the new ESS chip, which makes it sound more resolving and more transparent than the older stuff. The older stuff on the other hand was more rounded, fuller, more relaxed sounding - which was a classic Accuphase sound.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
You may try 'Ozy' on Audiogon...he owned the Accuphase 900/901 for about a year (replacing Esoteric P-01 4-box)...and most recently changed over to the DCS Vivaldi stack.

Hmmmm, that sort of answers my question as the Vivaldi stack is the other kit I was interested in.....

Cheers,

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
When the others are obsolete, one can just upgrade C1+D1 with new firmware and cards - the sound is better too.

If, and that is a big IF, the company will be with us in 5 years time. And IF they do provide the upgrades they are promissing now. (I could list coutless companies, even the biggest names, that promissed upgrades to their products, but never offered them).

Plus, dCS can also be upgraded by firmware updates, as it is all based on programmable FPGAs. dCS is one of those companies that DOES provide FREE upgrades to their stuff.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wizard,

Have you heard the MSB Diamond IV?
How does it compare to the CH Precisions?

thanks,
alexandre

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
If, and that is a big IF, the company will be with us in 5 years time. And IF they do provide the upgrades they are promissing now. (I could list coutless companies, even the biggest names, that promissed upgrades to their products, but never offered them).

Plus, dCS can also be upgraded by firmware updates, as it is all based on programmable FPGAs. dCS is one of those companies that DOES provide FREE upgrades to their stuff.

Which products is that? do you mean X1 PSU? it's already out at the dealers. Firmware upgrades are free. CH also use FPGA.
dCS hardware can't be upgraded so easily, with CH you can do it yourself.

The CH founders has worked with Goldmund, started Anagram (now ABC PCB) and Orpheus so they will be here for a long time.
And I know CH will release a more expensive products series in the future, the dac will use technology not used before.

C1 main board, which can also be easily be removed too.
View attachment 10554

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Which products is that? do you mean X1 PSU? it's already out at the dealers. Firmware upgrades are free. CH also use FPGA.
The CH founders has worked with Goldmund, started Anagram (now ABC PCB) and Orpheus so they will be here for a long time.

And here is the answer to your question - they will probably be around, but will they be with CH precision still ? As you have said - in only a few years time thay have set up/worked with and then abandoned quite a few companies ...

I'm not saying that it will happen, but maybe try NOT to discredit certain companies using this kind of rhetoric.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
And here is the answer to your question - they will probably be around, but will they be with CH precision still ? As you have said - in only a few years time thay have set up/worked with and then abandoned quite a few companies ...

I'm not saying that it will happen, but maybe try NOT to discredit certain companies using this kind of rhetoric.

They designed Goldmund's first digital products, but they don't want to hire them, and see what Goldmund is doing now - just delta sigma very expensive designs with boring sound - I've heard 20H dac and know what I'm talking about.
So they started Anagram instead (they are still in this company), and with Orpheus they were like Dan Agostino of Krell bought or thrown out. So they started their own companies from scratch so they have full control of it.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Okay....so the CH D1 plays SACD.....COOL...I will add it to the audition list.....I will ONLY consider a digital front end as long as it plays SACDs....

Cheers,

Last edited:

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
View attachment 10594

C1 at the back, from left two mono dac boards with Zeel, rca and xlr connectors, Sync clock card, Control and digital input card.
If used a Network card the Control card is replaced with it.

C1 can also be used as a preamp.

THANKS Wizard...

I will now add CH Precision to the audition list as well another company I learned about, Orpheus Labs....they also make a SACD transport and DAC as well as a stand alone SACD player...that gives me dCS, Accuphase, EMM Labs, CH Precision, Orpheus Labs and Playback Designs.....that should be plenty to listen to as any more will, I feel, become hard to keep track of....

Cheers,

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wizard,

Have you heard the MSB Diamond IV?
How does it compare to the CH Precisions?

thanks,
alexandre

Wizard,

Care to answer my question?
Additionally, have you heard the CH Precision through the Zeel outputs, into the darTZeel pre (or directly to the powers) ?

Thanks!

alexandre

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
Yes I've heard MSB Diamond IV with Galaxy clock - I didn't connect with the sound of it, but my favorite input was Pro IS not USB 24/384.

Never heard C1 connected with Zeel outputs only balanced.
It sound even better used as a preamp, and now soon CH will release a analog input card.

CH stands for the last name of the founders - Cossy and Heeb - they also designed Orpehus Labs Heritage dac.
The last product Cossy designed before bought out was the Privilege Mono amps.

Heritage Dac uses 4 delta sigma dacs, while C1 uses 4 R2R 1704 pr channel - C1 sounds better of the two.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks!

alexandre

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
A update - C1 as a preamp vs one of the best preamps in the world: Horch Stage.

"Done the comparison. C1 as preamp direct into power amp. Its not even close to the Stage! Magic is gone. Sound is flat and lifeless.
Thin sound. Gone back to the Stage and the magic is back! Stage is truly exceptional and Pavischitz is a genius!"

FYI - Pavischitz was the designer of Dynaudio Arbiter and Esoteric P/D-01.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
A update - C1 as a preamp vs one of the best preamps in the world: Horch Stage.

"Done the comparison. C1 as preamp direct into power amp. Its not even close to the Stage! Magic is gone. Sound is flat and lifeless.
Thin sound. Gone back to the Stage and the magic is back! Stage is truly exceptional and Pavischitz is a genius!"

FYI - Pavischitz was the designer of Dynaudio Arbiter and Esoteric P/D-01.

If not compared with Horch, it wouldn't be too bad. I guess its also synergy between Stage and Power Stage amps.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
A fellow audiophile from another forum had compared the CH precision combo to the Vivaldi stack today. He have been using the CH combo for the past couple of days and got the dCS yesterday for comparision from another dealer.

According to him - there simply no comparision between the two. The dCS blew the CH away. The dCS was more dynamic, had more resolution, but at the same time - was much smoother and analog sounding.

The other DAC he tried was Metronome C8 fed by Metronome CDP (and CH precision transport).

The dCS was a clear winner.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing