In For Review: The Merill Audio Veritas Monoblocks..interesting...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
In For Review: The Merrill Audio Veritas Monoblocks..interesting...

I just received the $12,000 per pair Merrill Audio Veritas
Hypex Ncore based Mono Block amps.

Very impressive feature set:

Stillpoints Ultramini Risers footers
Synergistic Research Tunnel Fuse
Cardas XLR Silver input pins with Rhodium plate, Gold plated Body
Cardas Billet Copper Speaker posts with Rhodium plate
Billet Aluminum chassis engineered

Compartments for internal circuit isolation, limiting interference
Engineered with ribs to limit vibration and microphonics
1” thick walls with center support.

Cardas Litz Pure copper, soft annealed, oversized wire
Five year transferable warranty
Options: Color and Stillpoints UltraMini Risers footers.
Switchless AC power for IEC for cleanest power connections.
1 MA-10 Custom Power Cord for VERITAS by Triode Wire Labs. 10 AWG, high strand copper wire, red copper receptacles.
Soldered or Screwed connections.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Too bad the "impressive feature set" are an audiophile laundry list of "must have" parts vice a description of the actual circuit which is really the most important "feature set" of any amplifier. Boutique parts are cool and have some bragging rights among the audio cognoscenti, but the circuit is always the most important contributor to the sound of a component (assuming the circuit is properly laid out and built).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Too bad the "impressive feature set" are an audiophile laundry list of "must have" parts vice a description of the actual circuit which is really the most important "feature set" of any amplifier. Boutique parts are cool and have some bragging rights among the audio cognoscenti, but the circuit is always the most important contributor to the sound of a component (assuming the circuit is properly laid out and built).

Of course, I agree with you. The circuit layout and design is key. But I have to say that the parts quality is stellar, and I can
tell you for a fact there are amps costing many multiples of these that do not not ship with Synergistic or Stillpoint feet stock,
and do not have custom designed power cords, etc.

With just a few hours of listening, I can tell you these are very, very good amps. Full review to follow.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
color me skeptical as well that any switching amp needs all that audiophile approved stuff. will be interesting in a month what you think. digital always rears its ugly head over extended listening...would be nice if you can crack open the hood and give us a report as well.

shipping with a Synergistic anything is actually a negative selling point for me :)

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
AFAIK, they're just stock Hypex Ncore NC1200 modules in a nice box with audiophile passive parts.

You should try and get a pair of the new Audience wavePower II mono block amplifiers for comparison.

wavePower II Features:
Audience exclusive Ohno wireinput transformer for noise rejection, safety and true balanced or single endedinput.
Exclusive Audience input circuitry designed for utmost resolution and lowest distortion.
Exclusive Audience aR-TSpower conditioner
New Neutrik 20 Amp Powerconpower connectors
Magnetic breaker power switch
Puresonic input & outputconnectors
WBT binding posts
Audience exclusive Auric Ohnopoint to point hand wired throughout
Audience exclusive Au24 SE powerChords

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Why do you want to compare $12K amps with an $18K amps? Do you want to know if amps that cost 1/3 more and share the same technology sound better than amps that cost 1/3 less?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Why do you want to compare $12K amps with an $18K amps? Do you want to know if amps that cost 1/3 more and share the same technology sound better than amps that cost 1/3 less?

Yes, I'd like to know if the wavePower II sounds better.

Like I said,
AFAIK, the Merill amps are just stock Hypex Ncore NC1200 modules in a nice box with audiophile passive parts.

The Audience amps use their own input circuitry design.

Price difference:

A
u24 SE powerChords - a 5 footer retails for $2050.

Merill's 5 foot 10 AWG
Triode Wire Labs sells for $329.

A two outlet Audience aR2-TSpower conditioner retails for $4200.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
color me skeptical as well that any switching amp needs all that audiophile approved stuff. will be interesting in a month what you think. digital always rears its ugly head over extended listening...would be nice if you can crack open the hood and give us a report as well.

shipping with a Synergistic anything is actually a negative selling point for me :)

Hey Keith:

But should we not be beyond judging a technology instead of the final product? I will see if I can pop that sucker open.

Switching amps have already been embraced by Audio Research, Mark Levinson, Soulution, and just every other marque name.

I will judge with my ears certainly, and report.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
AFAIK, they're just stock Hypex Ncore NC1200 modules in a nice box with audiophile passive parts.

You should try and get a pair of the new Audience wavePower II mono block amplifiers for comparison.

wavePower II Features:
Audience exclusive Ohno wireinput transformer for noise rejection, safety and true balanced or single endedinput.
Exclusive Audience input circuitry designed for utmost resolution and lowest distortion.
Exclusive Audience aR-TSpower conditioner
New Neutrik 20 Amp Powerconpower connectors
Magnetic breaker power switch
Puresonic input & outputconnectors
WBT binding posts
Audience exclusive Auric Ohnopoint to point hand wired throughout
Audience exclusive Au24 SE powerChords

What about when everyone gets excited about $80,000 speakers with audiophile approved parts and tweeters in a nice box?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
What about when everyone gets excited about $80,000 speakers with audiophile approved parts and tweeters in a nice box?

Then as a "Professional Audio Reviewer" you should compare them to other speakers using similar drivers and parts to see who's recipe produces the best sounding results.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Also, please explain your comment about Synergistic...?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Then as a "Professional Audio Reviewer" you should compare them to other speakers using similar drivers and parts to see who's recipe produces the best sounding results.

Are you under some sort of impression that reviewers have a storage facility they can just pull any speaker or amp out of and "compare" it to what is under review?

Even Michael Fremer, who deals in SOTA owns ONE pair of speakers, and can only compare what is under review to what just left (strictly through memory), and his one reference.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey Keith:

But should we not be beyond judging a technology instead of the final product? I will see if I can pop that sucker open.

Switching amps have already been embraced by Audio Research, Mark Levinson, Soulution, and just every other marque name.

I will judge with my ears certainly, and report.

ML Class D amps got panned everywhere. Big fail. I've heard the AR Class D, and it's awful. People relegate it to bass duties for big speakers (what Class D amps are good for).
And Soulution is using switching power supplies, not Class D amplifier modules. Let alone off the shelf ones...

alexandre

Reactions: RussR

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
ML Class D amps got panned everywhere. Big fail. I've heard the AR Class D, and it's awful. People relegate it to bass duties for big speakers (what Class D amps are good for).
And Soulution is using switching power supplies, not Class D amplifier modules. Let alone off the shelf ones...

alexandre

You may want to check that..ML "universally" panned? Really?
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mark-levinson-no53-monoblock-power-amplifier-tas-213-1/

The Nº53 has some remarkable—even stunning—sonic qualities. These include dynamics, bass grip, midbass articulation and expression, and the ability to present music as separate instruments rather than as slightly homogenized. In these areas, the Nº53 was world-class.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Are you under some sort of impression that reviewers have a storage facility they can just pull any speaker or amp out of and "compare" it to what is under review?

Even Michael Fremer, who deals in SOTA owns ONE pair of speakers, and can only compare what is under review to what just left (strictly through memory), and his one reference.

If we assume these unnamed $80K speakers are large, then I can understand some professional reviewers might have a storage problem.

In the case of the Merill vs. the Audience, storage shouldn't be an issue

I'm sure John McDonaldwould love to get the wavePowerII reviewed.

If you don't know him. I'd be happy to give him a call.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
If we assume these unnamed $80K speakers are large, then I can understand some professional reviewers might have a storage problem.

In the case of the Merill vs. the Audience, storage shouldn't be an issue

I'm sure John McDonaldwould love to get the wavePowerII reviewed.

If you don't know him. I'd be happy to give him a call.

Thos $80K speakers were hypothetical, btw,...:D Although there are such products.

I do know John McDonald. I have reviewed his cables, conditioners, and speakers.

We have never discussed electronics reviews. I don't think a comparison is warranted. I will have 3 other amps on hand..two tube,
and a very nice Class A/B solid state amp from Burson in for review.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You may want to check that..ML "universally" panned? Really?
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mark-levinson-no53-monoblock-power-amplifier-tas-213-1/

The Nº53 has some remarkable—even stunning—sonic qualities. These include dynamics, bass grip, midbass articulation and expression, and the ability to present music as separate instruments rather than as slightly homogenized. In these areas, the Nº53 was world-class.

They also seem to come up for sale often at 50% of their retail cost or less which tells you something.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
They also seem to come up for sale often at 50% of their retail cost or less which tells you something.

ALL flagship gear is sold at deep discounts as soon as it leaves the showroom..applies to Magico, Focal, Levinson, CJ, etc.

I don't think it says anything about the sound quality. There are toys for big boys...look at JTinn's famous traded in Q7's.

Don't get me wrong. I am not defending the No.53. I have heard it a few times, I was addressing the sweeping comment about it being "universally panned", which I proved, is untrue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing