Oppo BDP-103 and 105 2 channel stereo audio quality - Does the DAC difference matter?

SholaBaby

Jul 2, 2013
Manama, Bahrain
1. The OP has a JVC AX-R551 BK (BlacK) Integrated Stereo Amplifier. ...Circa 1989-90 ...No HDMI jacks. ...And with a SEAS EQ.

2. He's going to use the Stereo Analog connections.

3. His Stereo Integrated Amp is NOT a high resolution audio component (amp/preamp). BTW, the amp section is rated at 100 watts per channel (into 8 Ohms).

* 4. The Oppo BDP-103 ($499) player is perfect for his own particular system, and for his own use (Stereo analog connections: front Left and Right channels).

5. Digital HDMI is totally out of the equation.

6. And the Oppo BDP-105 ($1,199), wouldn't be the smart choice for his particular system. ...And I bet that his speakers are not the high res type either.
Btw, they are the Pioneer CS-607 speakers. ...Circa (old vintage).

----

- As for the lag time, analog vs digital HDMI, for playing CDs: I am less than 1% concerned about it! ...Which means that the difference is so minimal (I just checked) that to be of no concern.
{You can also 'skipback' the first track, if you wish to; in case your degree of acceptance is not up to it and that you want to fight it with another option.}
Personally, I prefer the sound from the analog connection, and in Pure Audio mode, in both my Oppo 103 player and in my Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro.
...And that, for CD (stereo) playback only.

Actually, now that I managed to trade in the 103 for the 105 made me realised how really good 105 is and what the difference is as well —Huge difference! Forget about my non-high resolution components (JVC AX-R551 BK, Technics SL-D30, Pioneer CS607 speakers, Pioneer VSX-D711 A/V receiver, etc and vintage or no vintage, I ain’t gonna junk them in the bin if they are still performing well to my satisfaction, I do not have the knack of keeping up with the Jones —It ain’t me), what I now discovered with Oppo 105 is that it just does not matter what you connect it with, what it does best is that it brings the best out of anything you put it up against and I’ll say that is just good enough for me. I just appreciate its dynamic range, THD level as well as its stereo soundstage presence, every instrument always comes out clearer no matter how small and distance the effect and it sounds even better through the JVC than the Pioneer (The JVC has the direct RCA stereo analog connection and the Pioneer has the 5.1 RCAs). Incredible and crystal clear difference it has been. Any reason why it was said that in music sound system, the source component is always very important... Oppo 105 lives up to that fact. Now that I have used both 103 and 105, the difference is now clearly grasped and I sure really like and relish it. So the 105 stays (DV). :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing