Vapor Audio, the best value in audio

I have a story to tell. I'm not financially involved with Vapor Audio, but I certainly want to buy one of their speakers.

Two years ago I was exhibiting at RMAF, using this time some well-known megabux speakers. (We got a best sound of show from TAS that year BTW). One of my partners in the room knew Ryan Scott of Vapor Sound and told me he was at the show. Ryan had brought some speakers to the show to be used in another room, but that arrangement evidently fell-through. Lots of flakes in this business. Anyway, I met Ryan and decided to audition his Cirrus speaker on the included stands in the room after show hours.

Well, we just plopped the Cirrus speakers down outside of the other floorstanders, not trying to optimize this at all. We played a track and immediately I knew we had a winner here. The 2-way Cirrus actually crushed the megabux speakers at 1/10 the price. Even the bass from the 2-way was impressive, and fast. Only had a 7 inch woofer. The vocals from this speaker were more live than anything I had heard, either in my own systems or other rooms at all of shows that I exhibited at for the last 15 years, including RMAF, CES, Newport and Stereophile. Imaging was superb and dynamics off the charts.

Anyway, after this experience I just had to have some Vapor speakers in my room at my next show in Newport, CA.

Ryan had something very special in mind this time. He was developing a new speaker, the Nimbus, which is a 3-way floorstander with high-efficiency. He would also supply some SE tube amps to power them. I would have been happy just with the Cirrus 2-ways.

Most exhibitors would shy away from something new like this for a show, but not me. I had complete confidence in Ryan to deliver the goods. He is one of the few people in this industry that are serious about his work and definitely not a flake.

Well, the result was no less than spectacular. The Nimbus speaker IMO is a complete game-changer, a revelation. This is the very first speaker, much less high-efficiency speaker that I have heard in all my years in this business that gets it right from top to bottom. The bass is unbelievable. Not just sufficient, but clean and low-distortion bass. These actually create "shaped" wavefronts of low-frequency information that you can actually sense as they expand into the room. We played some classical tracks that had crescendos that contained a lot of bass and they were truly amazing. There was literally no bass bloat or boominess and yet the 15" woofer delivered it in spades when there was bass present. Some of it was infrasonic so you only sensed it rather than hearing it. The off-axis imaging was also superb, as good as any ribbons I have heard and as good as the TAD references.

JA of Stereophile evidently liked it as he grouped our room in the top rooms at Newport. He had never heard of Vapor Sound, but he will remember it now.

Ryans speakers not only have the finest finishes I have ever seen in any loudspeaker, he uses the best drivers and crossover components of ANY loudspeaker. Even the most expensive loudspeakers do not use these components in their crossovers. For example, Jensen air-core paper-in-oil ribbon inductors and Dueland capacitors. Having modded for more than 10 years, I discovered the best capacitors and inductors to use in speakers. I have recommended these to other speaker manufacturers in the past, but not one of them ever even tried them, even though the samples are usually free. Idiots:mad: Well, Ryan had an open mind. He had no problem trying these parts and ended-up using most of them in all of his speakers and now they are up there with the best on the planet. Most folks that listened to the Nimbus at Newport thought the speaker was a $30-50K speaker. Its under $8K believe it or not:

http://www.vaporsound.com

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Last edited:

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Interesting speaker.

Unfortunately, since they have no dealers, most of us will never have the opportunity to hear them.

BTW, is Pete Schumacher (US Distributor of Arte Forma Audio) a partner in Vapor Sound?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
The Empirical/Vapor audio room at Newport was one of my faves and the Nimbus' looks grow on you. Another BIG plus for me as they can be driven well with SET amps...not that i dont have enough on my plate, i was going to email Vapor to find out if the pair were still in the LA area so i could hear them again.

Attachments

• Nimbus_Newport1.jpg
    Nimbus_Newport1.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 1,968
  • Nimbus_Newport3.jpg
    Nimbus_Newport3.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 1,910
Interesting speaker.

Unfortunately, since they have no dealers, most of us will never have the opportunity to hear them.

BTW, is Pete Schumacher (US Distributor of Arte Forma Audio) a partner in Vapor Sound?

You can always go to a show and hear them...

I'm not sure how Pete is involved, but I know he is the Arte Forma guy.

Steve N.

The Empirical/Vapor audio room at Newport was one of my faves and the Nimbus' looks grow on you. Another BIG plus for me as they can be driven well with SET amps...not that i dont have enough on my plate, i was going to email Vapor to find out if the pair were still in the LA area so i could hear them again.

Great photos, even better than the press.:b
Steve N.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
You can always go to a show and hear them...

I'm not sure how Pete is involved, but I know he is the Arte Forma guy.

Steve N.

Based on Pete's numerous Vapor Sound related posts over on AC, it seems that he's very involved.

I'd never buy speakers based on an audio show demo.

Based on Pete's numerous Vapor Sound related posts over on AC, it seems that he's very involved.

I'd never buy speakers based on an audio show demo.

But you would buy them based on a showroom demo?

I have yet to hear any showroom that sounded decent in my 40 years of this hobby. Even 90% of the rooms at shows are crap IME:p

Steve N.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Ryan had something very special in mind this time. He was developing a new speaker, the Nimbus, which is a 3-way floorstander with high-efficiency. He would also supply some SE tube amps to power them. I would have been happy just with the Cirrus 2-ways.

Most exhibitors would shy away from something new like this for a show, but not me. I had complete confidence in Ryan to deliver the goods. He is one of the few people in this industry that are serious about his work and definitely not a flake.

Well, the result was no less than spectacular. The Nimbus speaker IMO is a complete game-changer, a revelation. This is the very first speaker, much less high-efficiency speaker that I have heard in all my years in this business that gets it right from top to bottom. (...)

Steve,
The Nimbus is quoted as having 90 dB sensitivity, as all Vapor Audio speakers. Is this the correct value? Does not look "high-efficiency".

Vapor1

Oct 19, 2012
St Louis, MO
www.vaporsound.com
Steve, I just found this thread thanks to my Google notifier. I don't post here, only lurk, but I had to post and say I'm humbled by your kind words. Working with you at Newport was a joy! You're a gentleman and a scholar, with a fine ear :) It will be my honor to someday build the speakers that will go into your home. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the community here.

Ryan Scott
Vapor Audio

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Steve, I just found this thread thanks to my Google notifier. I don't post here, only lurk, but I had to post and say I'm humbled by your kind words. Working with you at Newport was a joy! You're a gentleman and a scholar, with a fine ear :) It will be my honor to someday build the speakers that will go into your home. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the community here.

Ryan Scott
Vapor Audio

Welcome Ryan!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve is a mensch, and he has great taste. If he says your speakers are the real deal,
then I need to hear them.

Vapor1

Oct 19, 2012
St Louis, MO
www.vaporsound.com
Black or White?

I'd love to talk with you more about it, shoot me an email if you want ... it's in my profile. The biggest difference in choosing is the White needs a subwoofer, Black doesn't. I would like to have the White reviewed sometime however. I think our Accuton voicing is somewhat unique compared to other offerings using them.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I just saw some pictures of their rooms at RMAF. Very nice!

Last edited:

mmatuva

Oct 26, 2012
For what it's worth (at least what you are paying for reading this :)), I heard both models that were exhibited at RMAF and was very impressed before I even knew the price (they were being exhibited between the huge Wilson Alexandria XLF room and the Scaena must-be-well-into-six-figures demo. Factoring in the price...wow, definitely worth a listen. I enjoyed both the Wilson demo (amazing sound) and the Scaena as well (first I had heard them), but the Vapors were not out of place between those two terrific rooms and a fraction of the price, were pretty stunning to me. Thanks for demos Ryan--really enjoyed the room!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing