spectral system rack.JPG CD player 2.JPG CD player.JPG spectral amps.JPG

Attachments

• oracle ma-x 2.JPG
    oracle ma-x 2.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 562

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
oracle ma-x 6.JPG oracle ma-x 5.JPG oracle ma-x speaker 4.JPG oracle ma-x speaker.JPG ORACLE MA-X ic GOOD.JPG

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
basis 2.JPG basis 1.JPG oracle ma-x 2.JPG Oracle ma-x 1.JPG

badboss429

May 7, 2013
Phoenixville PA
Hello Myles, nice to meet you yesterday and thanks for attending the Philadelphia Area Audio Group's monthly meeting held at Overture Audio in Wilmington DE. For the record, we are the Philadelphia Area Audio Group, not to be confused with my good friend Peter Brueninger's Philadelphia Audio Society. Our group is comprised of 80+members focusing exclusively on 2 channel audio. We've been in existence since 2003 and hold most of our monthly meetings in members homes, with an occasional meeting in one of the Philadelphia area audio stores. Since we meet in members homes, we have had to limit the number of members in the club in order to ensure a quality meeting experience. We do maintain a waiting list, and we are currently in process of adding several new members from the list. Anyone interested in learning more about our organization should go to our website, www.paagonline.org
Dennis Pitzer
President
Philadelphia Area Audio Group

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello Myles, nice to meet you yesterday and thanks for attending the Philadelphia Area Audio Group's monthly meeting held at Overture Audio in Wilmington DE. For the record, we are the Philadelphia Area Audio Group, not to be confused with my good friend Peter Brueninger's Philadelphia Audio Society. Our group is comprised of 80+members focusing exclusively on 2 channel audio. We've been in existence since 2003 and hold most of our monthly meetings in members homes, with an occasional meeting in one of the Philadelphia area audio stores. Since we meet in members homes, we have had to limit the number of members in the club in order to ensure a quality meeting experience. We do maintain a waiting list, and we are currently in process of adding several new members from the list. Anyone interested in learning more about our organization should go to our website, www.paagonline.org

Dennis Pitzer
President
Philadelphia Area Audio Group

Good meeting you too Dennis and sorry for any confusion :) I've edited the heading!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
And how did the system sound?

alexandre

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
And how did the system sound?

alexandre

By the lack of comments I assume it was a static display with Terry frozen standing :D Either that, or everyone is still stunned and unable to put their thoughts in writing yet.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Am still putting my thoughts together :)

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I will. Heading out for the afternoon. I don't want to step on Myles' thread. Let him present his thoughts first. :b

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Overture AV were very gracious hosts for the demo and frankly I wish I could provide a more positive report.

The electronics were all Spectral. Cables were MIT. The real star of the show was the much acclaimed Magico Q7. Overture owner Terry Menacker led the demonstration. He mentioned straight away that the source would be the Spectral CD player. This was surprising since there was a beautiful Basis 2800 table and Light Harmonics DAC sitting there. So no analog and no hi-res digital. Terry was touting the attributes of the Spectral player and its ability to play back HDCD encoded Redbook. He stated that the resolution was so good that playback was essentially identical to Keith Johnson's master tapes. When an auditor asked which was better - HDCD or SACD, Terry said without hesitation HDCD. He stated that SACD was a dead format and it was mid-fi. Many eyebrows in the audience were arched. The thought that crossed my mind was "check please!"

Source material was very carefully selected. It focused on soloists or small scale ensembles. No orchestral music and the closest we came to rock was Lyle Lovett. All beautiful recordings that featured ambience. As I recall Reference Recordings was featured (but not exclusively).

On to the sound. In a word: disappointing. To my ears the Q7 is completely soul-less. Low frequency extension was excellent. I had no issues with bass. It was rock solid - deep and controlled. Midrange was a bit congested. For many, midrange is where the magic lies. In this regard there was no magic in the Magico. Upper frequency response was quite extended but I found it hard as nails. There was a pervasive glare that I heard through every CD. Furthermore I didn't hear any continuity. To my ears this was as analytical a speaker as I've ever heard. I felt like I was being assaulted with notes. The emotional component was completely lost. I was hearing Doug MacLeod but there was no connection. To be fair, the speaker did an exceptional job of ambience retrieval. This was a strong suit of every recording we heard. Its not to say that other speakers can't do this well but the Q7 excelled in this area.

Perhaps with different electronics I would have come away with a positive impression of the Q7s but this was the hand I was dealt so I can only comment on the speakers the way they were presented.

Previously I had heard the Q3 and Q5 and I often refer to them as the emperor's new clothes. I'm sad to say that the Q7 completes the trifecta.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Overture AV were very gracious hosts for the demo and frankly I wish I could provide a more positive report.

The electronics were all Spectral. Cables were MIT. The real star of the show was the much acclaimed Magico Q7. Overture owner Terry Menacker led the demonstration. He mentioned straight away that the source would be the Spectral CD player. This was surprising since there was a beautiful Basis 2800 table and Light Harmonics DAC sitting there. So no analog and no hi-res digital. Terry was touting the attributes of the Spectral player and its ability to play back HDCD encoded Redbook. He stated that the resolution was so good that playback was essentially identical to Keith Johnson's master tapes. When an auditor asked which was better - HDCD or SACD, Terry said without hesitation HDCD. He stated that SACD was a dead format and it was mid-fi. Many eyebrows in the audience were arched. The thought that crossed my mind was "check please!"

Source material was very carefully selected. It focused on soloists or small scale ensembles. No orchestral music and the closest we came to rock was Lyle Lovett. All beautiful recordings that featured ambience. As I recall Reference Recordings was featured (but not exclusively).

On to the sound. In a word: disappointing. To my ears the Q7 is completely soul-less. Low frequency extension was excellent. I had no issues with bass. It was rock solid - deep and controlled. Midrange was a bit congested. For many, midrange is where the magic lies. In this regard there was no magic in the Magico. Upper frequency response was quite extended but I found it hard as nails. There was a pervasive glare that I heard through every CD. Furthermore I didn't hear any continuity. To my ears this was as analytical a speaker as I've ever heard. I felt like I was being assaulted with notes. The emotional component was completely lost. I was hearing Doug MacLeod but there was no connection. To be fair, the speaker did an exceptional job of ambience retrieval. This was a strong suit of every recording we heard. Its not to say that other speakers can't do this well but the Q7 excelled in this area.

Perhaps with different electronics I would have come away with a positive impression of the Q7s but this was the hand I was dealt so I can only comment on the speakers the way they were presented.

Previously I had heard the Q3 and Q5 and I often refer to them as the emperor's new clothes. I'm sad to say that the Q7 completes the trifecta.

The owner of Overture would never see a single nickel from me. Anyone who would utter such preposterous drivel is a charlatan in my book.

I walked out of demo at Newport when a dealer running the room proclaimed a DAC he sells made Redbook sound "better" than any SACD. See ya.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ken, I'm not afraid of different opinions, unlike this fellow who ran the demonstration :) Actually, this is sort of what I expected...
After hearing the Q7 with an all-Soulution setup, I got mostly the same impression. Impressive, but lacking something.
Then I asked to bring my music, and that's where I realised what was wrong: the eletronics. I brought in my darTZeel pre+power combo, and the sour turned to sweet. Better *everything*, even bass. With a 100W amp.
I came to realise that there's a whole contingency of folks that actually ENJOY this kind of "lacking something" sound. The Magico importer usually demonstrates with Soulution, and he sells a whole lot of them. For small scale stuff, the transparency is impressive.
Fortunately for me, the dealer here is not as ..erm... opinionated as this guy over there, and allowed me to test further. If I was to form my impression of Magico based on hearing through the Soulution gear, I'd file them as the "impressive, but not for me" category.

alexandre

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Andre, exactly what offended you so much that you would call this man a charlatan? Seems a bit extreme.

Bruce in PA

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Ken, I'm not afraid of different opinions, unlike this fellow who ran the demonstration :) Actually, this is sort of what I expected...
After hearing the Q7 with an all-Soulution setup, I got mostly the same impression. Impressive, but lacking something.
Then I asked to bring my music, and that's where I realised what was wrong: the eletronics. I brought in my darTZeel pre+power combo, and the sour turned to sweet. Better *everything*, even bass. With a 100W amp.
I came to realise that there's a whole contingency of folks that actually ENJOY this kind of "lacking something" sound. The Magico importer usually demonstrates with Soulution, and he sells a whole lot of them. For small scale stuff, the transparency is impressive.
Fortunately for me, the dealer here is not as ..erm... opinionated as this guy over there, and allowed me to test further. If I was to form my impression of Magico based on hearing through the Soulution gear, I'd file them as the "impressive, but not for me" category.

alexandre

Alex:

I agree with you but I can only judge based on what was presented to me. I don't feel that anyone should have to make an apology for a $185,000 speaker. Even with the Spectral gear I should have been, to some degree, knocked on my ass.

Perhaps in a different room with different electronics I would be mesmerized. Sadly it didn't happen the other day.

Ken

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I fail to see how one could be impressed given this setup, with some sitting so close to the speakers or the center of the stage, and others obstructed by folks sitting in front of them... when similar demos are done here, people are asked to rotate, there are no more than two rows of chairs, and set far from the speakers

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, exactly what offended you so much that you would call this man a charlatan? Seems a bit extreme.

Bruce in PA

Bruce, I am quite surprised you need to ask.

-claiming the redbook cd was equal in resolution to the RR masters done 176.4 Khz: ABSURD
-claiming HDCD is "better" than SACD.: ABSURD
-claiming SACD is a 'dead format": ABSURD

These are the claims of a carnival barker.

Like lasercd said, check please.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing