Have any DartZeel owners moved onto other brands?

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
I love the smell of Triode in the morning.

I see where you are coming from. Don't get me wrong: I love my Dartzeel, but I admit it is colored, the same way a good triode amp is (very) colored. It is just a pleasing coloration for the ear....

I love the smell of Triode in the morning.

Actually I love the smell of Triode anytime.

zz

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I see where you are coming from. Don't get me wrong: I love my Dartzeel, but I admit it is colored, the same way a good triode amp is (very) colored. It is just a pleasing coloration for the ear....

stereo,

I also appreciate your opinion, as you're someone who's listened to it all :)
But I've always been able to hear these colourations, sometimes right away, sometimes over the long run. And always when I get back to the 108, it's not a colouration I immediately notice, but a certain "rightness", a natural sound, even with bad digital. A lot of gear has that "something" that strikes you right away. With the Soulution, like Goldmund and Halcro before them, there's a certain lack of body, of weight to the instruments, most noticeable on bass drums on a rock track (take Led Zeppelin, for instance). Now, I don't know if this is a colouration or just a particular trait of the amp, but it's very noticeable.
I've even had a tube amp compared to a darTZeel (the integrated, though), and it was very clear what the tubes were doing to the midrange, versus the darTZeel.

alexandre

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
stereo,

I also appreciate your opinion, as you're someone who's listened to it all :)
But I've always been able to hear these colourations, sometimes right away, sometimes over the long run. And always when I get back to the 108, it's not a colouration I immediately notice, but a certain "rightness", a natural sound, even with bad digital. A lot of gear has that "something" that strikes you right away. With the Soulution, like Goldmund and Halcro before them, there's a certain lack of body, of weight to the instruments, most noticeable on bass drums on a rock track (take Led Zeppelin, for instance). Now, I don't know if this is a colouration or just a particular trait of the amp, but it's very noticeable.
I've even had a tube amp compared to a darTZeel (the integrated, though), and it was very clear what the tubes were doing to the midrange, versus the darTZeel.

alexandre

I agree that it's hard to describe the 'rightness' of the 108. it has 'enough' of the 'breath of life' of tubes and a very smooth extended treble to avoid any dryness. and it's low parts count in the signal path keeps the mids transparent and natural and the noise floor very low. yet it's also micro dynamically alive. it manages to walk the 'in between point' of tubes and solid state avoiding the pratfalls of both. OTOH depending on one's perspective I can see some of what it does as color but not 'coloration'. when amplifiers have a coloration then over time one tends to find ways to balance out that coloration. the dart never needs that. I do observe that sometimes dart owners try a bit more ruthlessness in an alternative amplifier, but almost always return to the naturalness of the dart. ultimately it is a matter of personal taste.

the 458's are slightly more neutral and have a more complex palette. it's even more difficult to describe.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
In Brazil, one of the most corrupt countries on Earth.

alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

Where in Brazil are you based? I have traveled quite a bit to Brazil on business but I have never had a chance to mert anyone from the Brazilian audiophile comunity.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Roysen,

I'm in São Paulo. People who visit on business usually end up here, and wish they were in Rio instead :D
The audiophile community here is small, and very splintered. But of course, next time you come I'll show you around! Let me know!

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing