240v wall receptacles?

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Hello! My first post here...

I am planning an extremely substantial 2-channel system for late this year. Come a disaster, I will buy a pair of the new Boulder 3050 monoblocks. These monsters require a 240v 30amp connection and while I know a number of cable companies build custom AC cords for the big Boulder amps, I am wondering about wall receptacles. I am very fond of the Oyaide receptacles, as I have used them with my current system with killer results. I have been to the Oyaide site but see nothing for 220-240v use.

I also learned that Shunyata makes 240v receptacles, but I am wondering if any other company(s) out there makes the same and would be considered audiophile grade??

MANY thanks,

Mark

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Most, if not all, 240V wall receptacles will be 16A limited (corresponds to 32A @ 120V). Certainly Furutechs are:

http://www.rcm.com.pl/?action=oferta&fid=furutech&L0=furutech&L1=gnwtzas&of=9

Thanks for the link and now it is time for me to sound like a goof ball.....Since here in the US we use 110 for everything except our dryers (240v) i was expecting to see wall plugs like I see behind the dryers....you know, the big honking receptacles (well, at least the ones I have seen in the houses I have lived in)...I perhaps mistakenly assumed that those round receptacles were European styled plugs with their two smaller pin holes....I sent an e-mail to my future dealer asking him to please send an image of both business ends of the OEM power cords for the pair of Boulder 3050 amps that they have in....I will finally get a good look at what the OEM's look like....

MANY thanks,

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You may want to check out the NEMA Twist-Lock receptacles.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
And make sure the electrician knows it is for a 30 A circuit! As Elberoth said, that is not a residential standard and will require special wiring including two dedicated circuits. 12 kW for a pair (max.) is a lot of power...

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
And make sure the electrician knows it is for a 30 A circuit! As Elberoth said, that is not a residential standard and will require special wiring including two dedicated circuits. 12 kW for a pair (max.) is a lot of power...

I will be sure indeed!! The person I am lining up to design and build my future dedicated listening space has years of experience designing and building serious recording studios as well as extreme custom theaters and dedicated audio room....I have already provided him with as much technical information from Boulder as I can. The Boulder amps will be the only item in the system requiring serious extra effort to provide power and my audio designer is very experienced in this regard.....

I may make an effort to work with the folks at Boulder to contact one of their (Boulder's) EU dealers and see what the EU customers use across the pond...I mean, as far I know, you do not find 110v anywhere in Europe, unless it is an Ex-Pat who redesigned their electrical during a renovation (like a friend of mine did when he and his wife bought and renovated a nice place in Brussels)....well, they put two sets of four 110v plugs in their kitchen for some favorite appliances that they swore they could not find in Europe....the rest of the house stayed 220-240 due to insurance regulations for their mortgage....

I did once speak to a pretty smart sales guy at one of Austin's large electrical supply stores....I told him about Boulder amps and their monster plugs and he said it was easy to find whatever you needed to to accommodate the larger power draws as long as one had a knowledgeable electrician...

Cheers,

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I am running my 2060 at 220v. I use a twist lock receptacle. Boulder can customize the power cord for you.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
WOW...what a nice bunch of postings here. SO much better than another forum (who shall remain unnamed) where I asked a question about Boulder and got flames out the wazoo from folks who chastised me for even considering such a "cold" "unmusical" "worthless" "poorly built" "company run by an idiot" "cheap" product. I even had one troll send me a PM stating that they sounded awful and, if I ever heard them I would hate them".....this, despite my stating I had spent MONTHS listening to the 2050/2010/2020 in a system....and, when I replied (very nicely despite my desire to scream) asking that person where THEY had heard them, I received a reply (and I swear that this is true) that the flamer had NEVER EVEN HEARD BOULDER!!!!!

I do know one thing about Boulder and Focal, my current front runner, if there is ANY issue with a recording, you will hear it in all its gory bliss....good OR dreadful...

I also know another thing about Boulder and heard this from Jeff Nelson, Rich Maez (and his predecessor) and a few others, is that the people who had their 2000 Series converted for 220 heard a significant jump in just about every important aspect of music playback over the people who ran it at 110.....that is why the new 3050's only run at 240v....

Many thanks!!

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Excellent! I assume you are using the OEM cord provided by Boulder and not a custom AC cord??

Cheers,

I've used the stock Boulder cable as well as one that was customized for me by Cerious Technologies. The hard part is getting that huge blue connector. I think I remember Rich Maez telling me that Boulder bought up a supply of them. I know Transparent has made the cord for customers and I'll probably ask them to make one for me as well since I'm now using their cables and cords end to end (they are awesome).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
WOW...what a nice bunch of postings here. SO much better than another forum (who shall remain unnamed) where I asked a question about Boulder and got flames out the wazoo from folks who chastised me for even considering such a "cold" "unmusical" "worthless" "poorly built" "company run by an idiot" "cheap" product. I even had one troll send me a PM stating that they sounded awful and, if I ever heard them I would hate them".....this, despite my stating I had spent MONTHS listening to the 2050/2010/2020 in a system....and, when I replied (very nicely despite my desire to scream) asking that person where THEY had heard them, I received a reply (and I swear that this is true) that the flamer had NEVER EVEN HEARD BOULDER!!!!!
We have had a lot of interest in their products here. We have probably the longest running threads anywhere on their incredible build:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2493-Boulder-amp-from-hell

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9248-Another-Boulder-amp-from-hell

Bunch of pictures to keep you going until you get your own. :D

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
We have had a lot of interest in their products here. We have probably the longest running threads anywhere on their incredible build:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2493-Boulder-amp-from-hell

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9248-Another-Boulder-amp-from-hell

Bunch of pictures to keep you going until you get your own. :D

WOW, this must be the only place on earth (besides the Boulder factory and amongst owners here) where Boulder can be discussed in such a non-hostile environment!!! WOO HOOO

The images are sweet and I will sure and try to find some of the new 3050's which are MONSTROUS!!!!

MANY thanks

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Actually, I was thinking of stereo rooms when I said "non-residential"... In the USA, electric dryers typically use a 30-A, 220/240 V circuit, and electric ranges commonly use a slightly different 50-A, 220/240 V outlet. Any electrician should be able to run a couple of lines for you. You might want to add an extra, and a couple of 20-A, 120 V lines while you are at it and he is fishing wires. Hope your service has extra spaces for the breakers... Or the electrician could run a new (sub) service for you just for the room.

With all that effort, I hope you are also planning on isolated HVAC (a mini-split or similar works wonders) and room treatments. Should be an awesome set-up.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Yes, I have always seen the big 240v plugs behind the dryer units as well as the large plugs for ovens.....I just wonder if the Boulder 3050's in-to-the-wall part is basically the same as what we plug our dryers and oven into?? I have already been in touch with my future acoustics guy and he is VERY experienced in dealing with the extra needs for electrical as well as HVAC (he has designed many of the top recording studios in central Texas).....I am also well aware for the need for special HVAC requirements so that air flow volumes do not interfere with the perfect acoustics of a well done room....when my guy is done, all I will need is to take a complete build/design package to a quality architect and general contractor.....the only other thing I will need to do is to be sure to locate a quality electrical contractor who has experience designing audio grade panels as I do not want to argue with the electrician why I do not want to hear my 'fridge/microwave/washer/dryer through my speakers....

Cheers,

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have already been in touch with my future acoustics guy and he is VERY experienced in dealing with the extra needs for electrical as well as HVAC (he has designed many of the top recording studios in central Texas).....
Off-topic but please make sure the he also has experience with designing recreational listening rooms. Recording studios have different needs and result in different design than residential spaces. One is for work, the other for enjoyment. See this video for a bit more detail from someone who designs both: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...n-designing-control-rooms-and-listening-rooms.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Off-topic but please make sure the he also has experience with designing recreational listening rooms. Recording studios have different needs and result in different design than residential spaces. One is for work, the other for enjoyment. See tihis video for a bit more detail from someone who designs both: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...n-designing-control-rooms-and-listening-rooms.

Oh yes, he has also built a number of high end theaters AS WELL as high end dedicated listening rooms like I am envisioning....he is very familiar with Wilson, Lamm, VTL, BAT, Focal, Boulder, Transparent as well as a number of not quite so high end brands. I have absolutely no reservations in using his services....

Cheers,

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
just send them to me - we run 240v in the uk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing