New flagship DAC from Weiss - Medus

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012

article on design w sound

NEW - Weiss Medus D/A converter is an extension from flagship Medea+. (In Greek, Medus is one of Medea’s son). Both Medus and Medea+ carries the same 32bit DAC and 8pc Weiss SOTA OP1-BP gain modules. These 8pc gain modules work in fully balanced tolology for I/V conversion and output stage. The technical aspect of these gain modules can be view from this PDF. OP1-BP is arguable the best amplifier module in today market. Medus has improved power supply, front LCD display for incoming digital data rates, DSD source from computer USB connections and mastering grade digital volume control via swiss made metal enclosure remote. The look for Medus matches perfectly with flagship Jason CD Transport. Medus user can work without a preamp and drives directly to power amplifier or active loudspeakers. Medus remote can even set the 32dB/1dB steps analogue output voltage trim on the OP1-BP board.

You also can spot the new Weiss logo identity. All of these new products and upgrade option will be started shipping from June. Please book and reserve your unit today. If you look in today hifi industry, you will not easily find another manufacturer, which provides such complete upgrade features for existing customer.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Can you upgrade your Medea+ to Medus, or do you have to buy the new Medus to have its technology?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I have just asked Daniel this via email, I'll post when I hear back. Knowing the way Weiss approach their designs, I would be surprised if this is not possible. I would be mainly interested in the upgraded power supply if this brings sonic gains. Display, remote with added functionality, and DSD are personally not of much use to me.

I have also heard that Weiss offers volume control across all digital inputs (on stock media+ it's only on FW input) and a USB input option, which both could be interesting features to have.

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
Does that the Medus will replace the Medea+? or Medus will be a more expensive model? both look alike and does not make sense for both selling at similar price range.

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
I have just asked Daniel this via email, I'll post when I hear back. Knowing the way Weiss approach their designs, I would be surprised if this is not possible. I would be mainly interested in the upgraded power supply if this brings sonic gains. Display, remote with added functionality, and DSD are personally not of much use to me.

I have also heard that Weiss offers volume control across all digital inputs (on stock media+ it's only on FW input) and a USB input option, which both could be interesting features to have.

Audio Explorations did you get a response back from weiss on actual spec of the medus? It looks like the only difference from medea+ is a new chassis with digital display and the power transformer has been put in a biscuit tin "mu metal" for better shielding but not a new transformer as such? Everything else was already offered as an upgrade for medea + which was the USB input an INT204 card? and DSD capability which from his white paper is converted to PCM in the digital domain before the ESS 9018's? pointless except for marketing.

Reactions: sjsfiveo

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is the purpose of the strange short black cable shown in some photos?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing