New flagship DAC from Weiss - Medus

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It connects the USB input on the back panel of the Medus to the integrated INT204 (which converts USB to AES/EBU).

That re-sends the AES/EBU to the Medus? Does the Medus get DSD through AES/EBU?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes. Yes however I believe it is converted to PCM first.

Are you saying that the DSD is converted in PCM in the Medus? Something similar to transcoding DFF files to WAV using the Audiogate software?

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

The same USB card is also used in Dac202.

The FPGA chip in the middle is the $20 Xilinx Spartan XC3S250E.

From the INT204 brochure:

The INT204 USB/DSD Interface is a USB to AES/EBU and S/PDIF interface which can also do DSD to PCM conversion.
It thus allows to play back DSD files via any standard PCM D/A Converter.

Note, the conversion of DSD signals to PCM before doing the D/A Conversion has an advantage over a «native» DSD D/A
Converter in that the analog output filter after the PCM D/A stage is of lower order and hence sonically transparent
compared to the analog filter which is necessary in a «native» DSD D/A Converter.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Note, the conversion of DSD signals to PCM before doing the D/A Conversion has an advantage over a «native» DSD D/A
Converter in that the analog output filter after the PCM D/A stage is of lower order and hence sonically transparent
compared to the analog filter which is necessary in a «native» DSD D/A Converter.

Daniel never liked DSD anyway....;)

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Weiss Medus is wonderful DAC , far better than many super expensive DACs.
I am not sure but It seems the Weiss Medus Discontinued and maybe It will replace by a New Weiss Reference DAC.
I am not sure but i guess the New Weiss DAC will be R-2R. If you have any information please share it.

Medus.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am not sure but It seems the Weiss Medus Discontinued and maybe It will replace by a New Weiss Reference DAC.
I am not sure but i guess the New Weiss DAC will be R-2R. If you have any information please share it.

View attachment 99136
Very interesting to read they may be thinking R-2-R...look forward to reading more.

Reactions: Amir

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Remote.jpg

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
W001.jpg

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
W005.jpg

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
W004.jpg

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
W002.jpg

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Still my favorite DAC! The only DACs I’ve heard with a near analog level bass from CDs are from Weiss.

david
Weiss Medus has wonderful bass
Weiss has very Low jitter even at low frequency

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Medus has wonderful bass
Weiss has very Low jitter even at low frewuency,
The bass is Very extended
It’s not only the extension but how natural sounding it is. Daniel is great to work with too.

david

Reactions: Amir

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
Hi Amir, are you hinting at something ... ;) ?

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Hi

I sent an email and Daniel Weiss told me he may design a new Reference DAC.
I told Him If you design New Reference DAC then I will order it.

Daniel Weiss answered to my questions and I would like to share it here :

In the second question Daniel Weiss refers to R-2R in new dac.

"1. What is your idea about perfect time domain impulse response dacs (like NOS dacs) ?
Basically it would be good to have a DAC with a perfect impulse response, which would mean that there are no filters allowed in the signal path. No digital and also no analog filters.
With a DAC one should have a reconstruction filter, though, in order to convert the stair-step signal to a smooth “analog” signal without very high frequency components.
The best design follows a compromise. It does not make sense to look for the perfect reconstruction filter as the impulse response would be awful. On the other hand there should not be too much of high frequency components to keep the tweeters and the dogs happy.
An oversampling DAC takes some of the filtering burden off from the analog reconstruction filter. That can be a valid approach. In the end it is a search for the best compromise with many variables like:
  • Oversampling or NOS?
  • How much oversampling?
  • What kind of filter for the oversampling?
  • What kind of filter for the analog filter
  • What can be tolerated in terms of high frequency components?

2. What is your idea about R-2R dacs?
The R-2R DACs are kind of attractive as they are easy to understand and in theory can be made extremely well performing. There are problems with R-2R DAC architectures which are not simple to solve, though. We at Weiss are currently looking into an R-2R design in our search for the “perfect” DAC.

3. What are the most important things in dac design?
The usual digital and analog design guidelines regarding:

Good design is a matter of a lot of experience and know-how. There isn’t any simple recipe I am afraid

Last edited:
Reactions: nicoludio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing