Michael Fremer Interview

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I enjoyed the interview, but then I'm not an MF hater. I happen to agree with many things he says. I always find it telling that every time I go downstairs to listen to my system, the preamp is set up to play LPs. What that means is that the last thing I always listen to before I go to bed and call it a night is vinyl. Why? You can figure that out.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm not an MF hater either. I actually like his sense of humor. It's kinda like mep's! :D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I enjoyed the entire interview and agreed with most of it. What did you find so offensive ?

I don't think Myles found anything offensive...he just figured that like with every other topic, audiophiles would take Fremer's opinions
and dissect them and debate for it for weeks.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
This comment is spot on.
HAVE FUN. DON'T OBSESS. *Also, don't be resentful of those who can afford things you cannot. When the best I could do was Spica TC-50s Hafler etc. I loved the sound and sat and listened as I do now. I read TAS and Stereophile. I read about stuff I thought I could never afford but rather than being resentful and dismissive, I hoped one day to be able to afford some of that expensive high performance stuff because I knew it did sound better. By reading the reviews I learned why. I dreamed of better and now I have it. If you don't dream it you'll never have it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I enjoyed the entire interview and agreed with most of it. What did you find so offensive ?

Twasn't me was speaking about :) Mikey does seem to be polarizing.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't think Myles found anything offensive...he just figured that like with every other topic, audiophiles would take Fremer's opinions
and dissect them and debate for it for weeks.

Exactly :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I liked his comment on the true meaning of high-end audio.

Any system that is good enough to engage all of your senses and keep you listening with rapt attention while doing nothing else. No reading, no fidgeting, nothing... It overtakes the senses. That does not have to be expensive. Just smartly assembled.

I enjoyed the article and thought he came across as being quite sincere and honest about his views and such.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I liked his comment on the true meaning of high-end audio.

I enjoyed the article and thought he came across as being quite sincere and honest about his views and such.

Passionate that we all know can be a double edged sword :)

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
"A sense of musical flow and harmonic grace. A more believable instrument attack and more generous sustain and for whatever reasons a greater illusion that a live performance is occurring in front of you. Vinyl makes you want to pay attention and do nothing else. Once I start playing records I can stay up all night. With digital I get bored after a short while. I think vinyl is quieter than digital. It's a different kind of quiet that's difficult to explain but when you go from digital to analog there's a sense that an unheard but felt "noise" disappears. When it does, your body relaxes."

I pretty much feel the same way (applies to tape as well). I work a lot, and at the end of the day I'm instinctively/subconsciously looking through the record rack for something to listen to, not the CDs/downloads.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Is the word "audiophile" a pejorative term, as MF suggests, in 2013?

mep

Apr 20, 2010

It sort of is in my opinion. Maybe if enough of us take offense to the word, we can have it made politically incorrect to use and we can choose a new term to be called that we would find less offensive. Just as illegal immigrants didn't like the word "illegal" in front of the word "immigrant" and they are now referred to as "undocumented immigrants," we could come up with a new term and demand that people use it. Maybe bank robbers will be next to complain and we will have to refer to them as cash-strapped opportunists. There is no end to this nonsense, I promise you.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

If you read the user comments on Cnet or Endgaget on a hifi product you'd certainly get that impression....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing