Another question on vinyl record lifespan

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Seems I read somewhere that when the stylus tip contact area and tracking force is calculated out, the actual pressure figure is some incredible number over 200 lb/sq.inch. And the heat generated at the actual contact point was also quite high.

That being said, is there any guess at how many plays an average LP will yield before the sound starts to noticeably going south?

I understand there are many vague and inexact references here and that alone may prohibit an accurate answer.

I was just wondering how many times, using a decent (>$400) TT with a cartridge that tracks at less than 2 grams, an LP can be played before sound quality deteriorates? 100? 500?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Seems I read somewhere that when the stylus tip contact area and tracking force is calculated out, the actual pressure figure is some incredible number over 200 lb/sq.inch. And the heat generated at the actual contact point was also quite high.

That being said, is there any guess at how many plays an average LP will yield before the sound starts to noticeably going south?

I understand there are many vague and inexact references here and that alone may prohibit an accurate answer.

I was just wondering how many times, using a decent (>$400) TT with a cartridge that tracks at less than 2 grams, an LP can be played before sound quality deteriorates? 100? 500?

Technically, the sound often deteriorates after the first play.

I play records that I've owned for 30+ years. My guess, I played side-1 of Prince's Controversy at least 300-400 times before 1990, and maybe 100 plays since then. Just played it last night. Sounded great. I can post more examples, as can others, I'm sure.

If you don't mind my asking, given the discussions you've started, are you not having much luck with the format, or are you concerned about jumping in, or ...?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sombunya, what Felix said above is absolutely correct. To some people, the LP is only going to be good for one play....every other play after that is theoretically a reduction in the playback quality. However, I would be willing to bet good money, that the number of people that can truly hear the loss in the fidelity after say 100 plays ( assuming that the gear is set-up correctly) would be miniscule, if any.
I have several NM ( near Mint ) and M ( Mint) Lp's and for that matter even many VG+ ( Very Good Plus) records that sound spectacular even after several hundred plays. I also have a few NM ( visually) Lp's that sound like **** because the previous owner ruined the record on the very 1st play:(. Set-up of the cartridge and of the tonearm is crucial in analog playback, accept that or look to another format.:)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm with Felix and Davey on this and can concur that I have many LP's that have been played hundreds of times without any issues. Has the sound quality dropped as a result? Probably, but I tend not to worry about that so much.....the enjoyment of the music is primary. I check my setup twice a year to make sure nothing is askew, plus I'm very diligent about cleaning my LP's and my stylus with every play.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
If you don't mind my asking, given the discussions you've started, are you not having much luck with the format, or are you concerned about jumping in, or ...?
Actually, none of the above.

I love the format. I started seriously buying vinyl records in the mid 1970's (late 1960's if you consider buying 45's serious). Back then I didn't have the means to purchase real good equipment. In the last 12 months I may have spent $3k or more on vinyl. I'm cooling it a bit though to keep the wife from divorcing me.

Most of the posts I start are questions I've wondered about for a long time. And most of the people here are so far ahead of me as far as the entire vinyl/analog thing goes that I look to this place as a resource.

I have a Rega P3 and a Music Hall MMF 9.1, equipment that would be considered starter by most here. I use the M.H. most and try to play at least two albums a day (I work full time).

I've gone to some forums where questions about stylus/groove speed is discussed and the answers are simple, like 6th grade level. I ask the same question here and I get engineering type answers.

Everything is relative. Most of my friends think I am Mr Audiophile because I know a bit about it. I come here and I am the newbie to the hobby. I marvel at some of the posts and discussions I see here.

I come here and ask questions because I feel the most knowledgeable people on the subject populate this place. I'm not trying to patronize anyone here, just learn more about it.

Jim Treanor

Jun 30, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Given my age, I have to consider the possibility (my ego notwithstanding, "likelihood" is probably more accurate) that normal degradation of my hearing acuity factors into this. But I still have some LPs, mostly classical, purchased in the mid 1960's and played a lot since, and apart from some ticks and pops that I can attribute to mishandling of various kinds along the way (my bad, not someone else's), there appears to be little sonic degradation. If anything, after having purchased and been very picky in setting up a new TT/arm/cartridge combination a few months ago, there's more "life" in those recordings.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I had noticed, after just 5 to 6 plays, the loss of top end air, and reduction of soundstage height will become audible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing