Traffic Stop Video: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
In this well-known scenario, Deputy Kyle Dinkheller stops a vehicle in what seems like a routine situation. I post this clip to demonstrate how effective self-defense must incorporate a willingness to "flip one's switch" when undeniable cues are presented. The development of action triggers is central to improving response time under stress. If one has imprinted the action triggers and practiced responses under pressure, the ability to act in a time-appropriate manner is enhanced.

Sadly, Dinkheller did not survive this encounter. Anyone watching will spot the tactical errors on display, but "couch-quarterbacking" is quite easy compared to being live in the moment. Thus, the absolute certainty of unwavering action triggers.

EXTREMELY GRAPHIC CONTENT AND LANGUAGE!

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Since I'd posted a few clips where lone females were assaulted, I thought it would be educational to show that vulnerability extends across the human spectrum. Our weaknesses are not necessarily limited to physical strength.

Lee

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Since I'd posted a few clips where lone females were assaulted, I thought it would be educational to show that vulnerability extends across the human spectrum. Our weaknesses are not necessarily limited to physical strength.

Lee

Well that was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I know this is somewhat unrelated to the point that you were trying to make, but what the heck was the motivation of the killer? Was he drunk? I assume they got this guy (video evidence and all). It's so disgusting that someone could do such a thing.

Ugh.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Well that was one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I know this is somewhat unrelated to the point that you were trying to make, but what the heck was the motivation of the killer? Was he drunk? I assume they got this guy (video evidence and all). It's so disgusting that someone could do such a thing.

Ugh.

Nevermind, I googled it and got all my answers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
From the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kyle_Dinkheller

"Kyle Wayne Dinkheller (June 18, 1975 – January 12, 1998) was a deputy with the Laurens County Sheriff's Office in the U.S. state of Georgia. Dinkheller is notable for being shot and killed on camera during a shootout.

On Monday, January 12, 1998, near the end of his shift, Dinkheller pulled a motorist over for speeding. A verbal confrontation ensued which escalated, causing Dinkheller to be shot and killed. The suspect was wounded in the stomach by a shot from Dinkheller's service pistol. Despite the wound, the perpetrator, Andrew Brannan, was able to kill Dinkheller and flee the scene; he was discovered the next morning hiding in a sleeping bag beneath a camouflage tarp in Laurens County, Georgia, by police, and arrested for the murder of Dinkheller. Brannan pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, but the jury found that the murder of Dinkheller was carried out in a torturous and cruel manner.[1] Brannan was found guilty of murder on January 28, 2000, and was sentenced to death on January 30, 2000.[2]

Brannan was arrested the next morning without incident; he was found guilty on January 28, 2000, for the murder of Dinkheller and was sentenced to death.[5] As of July 2012, he has not been executed and is still incarcerated in Georgia.[6] After being captured, Brannan was asked why he killed Dinkheller. His response was, "Because he let me."

The entire incident was videotaped on Dinkheller's cruiser dashboard camera. The video is now used throughout law enforcement to train new officers."

Amazing how many warnings the officer gave him without shooting him. Even when he pulled a gun on him, he hesitated. Also amazing was the guy being shot in the stomach and still walking around as if nothing had happened. If I had not read the Wiki, I would have thought he did not get shot at all.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Also remarkable that the guy still lives in such a clear case of murder of an officer no less that showed so much kindness to him by not shooting him right away. Wonder what it takes to actually get the capitol punishment that the state has.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That's amazing. It's clear that this cop wasn't trained well at all, IMO. I suspect in any larger urban setting, the cop would have fired at the perp immediately and asked questions later. I'm fairly certain that they are trained to do this.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Denial happens to folks with or without training. "I can't believe this guy is going to shoot me!" gave the suspect enough time to gain the advantage. Note that the suspect uses the truck as cover fairly effectively, allowing him to sequentially approach Dinkheller while minimizing his exposure to return fire.

Note that most of my comments in this threads revolve around processes by which we can control our actions on demand. It doesn't matter how hard you can punch or kick if you hesitate as demonstrated in this video.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
That's amazing. It's clear that this cop wasn't trained well at all, IMO. I suspect in any larger urban setting, the cop would have fired at the perp immediately and asked questions later. I'm fairly certain that they are trained to do this.

Training has improved greatly over the last decade, taking into account more of the psychological processes that govern our ability to act and make critical decisions under pressure. There are many examples (not for public use) of big-city officers exhibiting similar behaviors.

Lee

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Also remarkable that the guy still lives in such a clear case of murder of an officer no less that showed so much kindness to him by not shooting him right away.

Amir, I don't think it was kindness, I think it was a) lack of training and unfortunately IMHO for want of a better word, b) stupidity.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Training has improved greatly over the last decade, taking into account more of the psychological processes that govern our ability to act and make critical decisions under pressure. There are many examples (not for public use) of big-city officers exhibiting similar behaviors.

Lee

It's odd behavior Lee. We usually hear of the officer who shoots and kills the unarmed perp or the guy who he felt had a gun or knife but didn't. Just recently, we had a cop shoot and kill a minority female in her car, because he claims she drove at him. That case is ongoing right now. Lot's of publicity here in San Diego.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Amir, I don't think it was kindness, I think it was a) lack of training and unfortunately IMHO for want of a better word, b) stupidity.

Davey, how many use-of-force incidents have you been involved in? Not to single you out, but it's easy for us to criticize this from the safety of our home. A lack of effective training is the culprit here, as many folks (police and otherwise) would perform poorly in such a situation. Unless training incorporates scenarios with appropriate stress inoculation, one cannot feel secure that they will act any better in the real thing.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Davey, how many use-of-force incidents have you been involved in? Not to single you out, but it's easy for us to criticize this from the safety of our home. A lack of effective training is the culprit here, as many folks (police and otherwise) would perform poorly in such a situation. Unless training incorporates scenarios with appropriate stress inoculation, one cannot feel secure that they will act any better in the real thing.

Lee

I agree

looking at the video however one has to wonder what if any options they had

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
It's odd behavior Lee. We usually hear of the officer who shoots and kills the unarmed perp or the guy who he felt had a gun or knife but didn't. Just recently, we had a cop shoot and kill a minority female in her car, because he claims she drove at him. That case is ongoing right now. Lot's of publicity here in San Diego.

What kind of news report do you think sells the products advertised during the news? Do you think it would be a good idea for the police to publicize weaknesses in their training methodology so that bad guys could identify potential weak spots?

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I imagine we use training to override our instincts. The instinct is what I was talking about: that taking another life was a big deal to him. So much so that he waited too long. Training I imagine would tell him when he needs to put aside the instinct and act on probability of what is about to happen.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
OK. Dinkheller failed to secure the suspect in a time-appropriate manner. As soon as the ED (emotionally-deranged) behavior began, Dinkheller should have drawn his weapon (he may not have had a Taser). Allowing the angry suspect to regain access to his vehicle (storage spot for weapons or possible get-away) was also a mistake. When the suspect produced a weapon, Dinkheller had the right to defend himself, but hesitated. Although Dinkheller fired the first shot, the suspect had already assumed partial cover and returned fire.

Overall, incidents like these drive the improvements in our training methods. My prayers go out to the families of all officers who have fallen at the hands of criminal scum.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I imagine we use training to override our instincts. The instinct is what I was talking about: that taking another life was a big deal to him. So much so that he waited too long. Training I imagine would tell him when he needs to put aside the instinct and act on probability of what is about to happen.

Thus my short discussion of action triggers that program us to perform certain actions when we receive the initiatory stimulus.

Lee

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Amir, as I said lack of training or OTOH poor training was a MAJOR factor. However, looking at the video, this guy was to my way of thinking a) unbalanced and b) clearly a threat from the gitgo. I thought the cop had his gun out from the start and IF he didn't perhaps he should have ( I believe that is part of the training in this type of scenario).Even so, once the guy came at him and then stared to threaten him, I suspect most cops would have pulled their weapon. As he went back to the vehicle, that is a time that I think most cops would shoot. The training involves being able to hit the suspect and not the side of a barn door only. I don't think this poor officer did any of those things and that is what ultimately cost him his life. Lee is going to say that it is easy to say and not so easy to do...fair enough, BUT that is what the training is all about, NO?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
As civilians, we tend to overestimate the amount of training received by the majority of law enforcement officers. SWAT and other special assignment units get more training, but the average officer does not. Many recruits in the academy get their use-of-force blocks during their months at the school. The curriculum includes many other non-violent subjects: communications, law, driving, etc. I've seen many young recruits who've never been in a fight in their life. They are then placed in situations like the above video with very little resource upon which to draw.

For those of our membership who have been involved in use-of-force situations, wouldn't you agree that the first one is the most challenging? You haven't hardened some of your personal resolve issues at that stage.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing