Home Invasion

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's a relief Lee as we are religious about locking doors including garage. That is, unless we forget :).

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Evidence continues to mount that the majority of these crimes occur when one's front door is left unlocked or the attached garage door is left open (providing access to home).

Lee

Lee,
also statistically would 1st floor window open on hot summer days be one intruders look for?
In UK it is not just at night but shockingly now happens (trend) early evenings when good chance intruder and home owners will encounter each other.
Some think I am paranoid when I keep on to them about being careful with their windows in the summer, same as no lights on in winter near christmas time when one goes out or persistently work late as it is easy to identify potential targets.

Cheers
Orb

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Big dogs that love to bark when people come around the house are great to have around in order to deter those who are looking to break in. I have three dogs who are each convinced it's their job to bark as loud as they can if they see anyone who is remotely close to our house. In case the criminal element isn't deterred by big dogs, it's also helpful to have large caliber weapons in order to shoot any body parts that are still moving after your big dog is finished chewing on them.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
That is why we choose to live in a closed, one way in, fully guarded place. Even the pizza delivery boy goes thru scanning at the front doot. This is real and could happen anytime.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Dogs are a top-notch deterrent! Ground floor windows are obviously an "entry opportunity" but not as reported as open doors (more frequent & easier, especially for getting multiple attackers inside quickly).

Harden the perimeter using locks & trimming shrubs, with exterior lighting if possible. If you leave second floor windows open, please don't leave your ladder outside and accessible.

Lee

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Dogs are a top-notch deterrent! Ground floor windows are obviously an "entry opportunity" but not as reported as open doors (more frequent & easier, especially for getting multiple attackers inside quickly).

Harden the perimeter using locks & trimming shrubs, with exterior lighting if possible. If you leave second floor windows open, please don't leave your ladder outside and accessible.

Lee
oops.
What I forgot to mention is that the trend here is home owners forget about their single story extensions/garages that may back onto a window and they feel safe leaving those windows ajar in the summer.
Big problem over here in UK as single-story extensions are very popular, which provide a nice "ladder" to higher windows that owners think are secure from access.
Nearly every buglary down my road involved the burglar coming in through the upper window.

Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Dogs are a top-notch deterrent!
Two years later and I have first-hand data on this now :). We got two lovable dogs who sure know how to act tough when it comes to barking. I was at our vacation house and all of a sudden the two storm to the front door like I have not seen them do. They are going nuts and no amount of persuasion would get them to calm down. They do get aroused over noises outside but nothing like this. I look outside though the window but see nothing. 3-4 minutes go by and these two dogs are still super anxious, barking and nervous about something.

I had work to do so I ignore them. To my surprise, they turn their attention to the back of the house now. We have a set of picture windows and they two were going nuts in front of them now. There are usually no animals and such in that direction of our house so now I get worried that there is something going on. I stand up and go to the window and imagine my surprise when I see three guys back there doing something with no care in the world as if no one is in the home. I immediately get my phone out to call 911 but just before I dial it, I recognize one of the three as being the son of my contractor. It all sorted itself out as I had asked my contractor to do some work and they had shown up a day early.

What happened was that the dogs were so noisy that they didn't bother to ring the front door bell and proceeded to go to where the project was in the back yard. If it were not because of the dogs, I would have never known they had come and had gone to the backyard that way.

Connecting this to audio :D, the "power output" of the dogs, especially our 70 pound one is incredible. When he is barking this way, the floor shakes and vibrates! He loves to come within a few feet of me and if I don't cover the ear that is pointing at him, it will feel like a jet engine taking off in the way the sound pierces my ear canal.

As Lee warned though, a ton of work comes with dogs and with two of then, it is a ton times 100 :). So it makes little sense to get them just for this duty. As long as you love and want the dog anyway, they certainly provide early warning and deterrent. The female specially is able to hear cars and people approaching the front door about 1 minute or so before I do! It is just like "Radar" in TV series/movie Mash. The two wake up all alert and you think there is nothing there until there is.

So for thousands of dollars in food, vet and dog purchase costs, losing a bunch of sleep taking care of them while puppies, cleaning up their poop and such you too can have an element of self-defense. :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . What happened was that the dogs were so noisy that they didn't bother to ring the front door bell and proceeded to go to where the project was in the back yard. If it were not because of the dogs, I would have never known they had come and had gone to the backyard that way. . . .

Dogs are great and I love them, but in your particular instance, it sounds like the contractors would have rung the doorbell if the dogs weren't making a racket. The dogs were your "doorbell" except you didn't know who the people were at first. All in all, dogs are still a great deterrent and great members of the family. Fortunately, the people outside your house were good guys.

Years ago, we had a dog and she would bark ferociously at the window when people came up the walk to the door. Lucky for us, the window was just high enough off the floor so people outside couldn't see her tail wagging, as she loved to welcome guests to our house!

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Scenario: Great Dog eliminates definite habitual offender Bad Guy & buries him in the backyard bone patch & you have NO knowledge of the dog's actions - ? any legal problems? [probably no or minimal problems in Texas - stated as a compliment].
zz.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Those videos make me really angry.

I'd like to get a shotgun and/or an Uzi and take care of intruders my self, not even call 911 because an intruder will be gone by the time the police arrive. Just bury them in the back yard as it never happened.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Those videos make me really angry.

I'd like to get a shotgun and/or an Uzi and take care of intruders my self, not even call 911 because an intruder will be gone by the time the police arrive. Just bury them in the back yard as it never happened.

I do keep a Bennelli M1 Super 90 12 gauge semi-auto not too far from the front door. 00 buckshot at the ready. If some thugs come a knocking, I have an answer for my homeland security. I live in a nice neighborhood. You shouldn't have to worry, but that is how some arrogant criminals think.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing