Home Invasion

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Here's a short video, caught on a nanny-cam, that shows the intensity and immediacy of violence of which criminals are capable. Although this sub-forum seems to be very quiet, I hope this video clip demonstrates some of the need for a basic amount of planning for home security and personal protection.

Lee

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Disturbing beyond belief. I worked in Millburn, NJ back in the early 90's. This is a nice upscale town that sadly border's the violent neighborhoods of Newark and The Oranges.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
And, like many folks, she'd "never had anything bad happen before, so the family hadn't made any plans". Apologies for the brutish response, but prevention & planning are far preferable to reactionary response. One of my missions in life is to help good folks avoid situations like this. Either he walked into an unlocked door or kicked it down easily. Once something like this has happened to you, there's no "going back". It changes your life forever. I plead with folks to take this to heart.

Lee

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
And, like many folks, she'd "never had anything bad happen before, so the family hadn't made any plans". Apologies for the brutish response, but prevention & planning are far preferable to reactionary response. One of my missions in life is to help good folks avoid situations like this. Either he walked into an unlocked door or kicked it down easily. Once something like this has happened to you, there's no "going back". It changes your life forever. I plead with folks to take this to heart.

Lee

I find it amazing how many people will say, this can never happen to me. I have to deal with my live in kool-aid drinking girlfriend who has enough gall and for lack of a better word ignorance to call me paranoid for being prepared. I don't allow my door to be opened to strangers knocking un-announced. Obviously these are usually solicitors, but any reasonably smart thug could use that as a guise for quick and easy entry into the home.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amazing how evil some in our human race can be. Definitely eye opening. thanks for posting it. Do we know if they caught the guy?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't think so Amir. This was a truly sad and barbaric home invasion. The only good news was that the woman survived the horrific beating she took.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is most disturbing; I'm real sick to not only my stomach but to all over the deep chords of my soul!

Poor lady, this is truly awful! ...And this guy, this guy, this guy is the worst kind of animal walking the surface of this Earth!
I am so shaken by watching this that it would take me a very long time to fully recover! ...And I ain't kidding!

* Is he in jail now, and for how long?

<<<>>> There should be a WARNING in the title of this thread, I think.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
As of that broadcast, the suspect had not been caught. However, the police have excellent video evidence that clearly identifies the criminal. I believe he'll be caught soon if not already.

I posted this to clearly illustrate how cruel and violent these crimes can be. Actually, this is not as bad as many home invasions, which include rape and murder. Thank God her children were untouched, as they often become "leverage points" to gain the compliance of the adults! So, I feel that all our members should see this and have exactly the reaction Bob describes: the primal realization of how hideous these crimes are. As I stated before, my intent is to motivate our members toward a more aware, prepared lifestyle.

Tonight, I will say a prayer for this family.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Home Invasion/Multiple Murder

Again, here is the theme of the unlocked entry. Although I can keep posting these selected videos, it should become apparent that home invasion is a brutal crime. Many of these incidents occur in up-scale neighborhoods and sometimes in remote locations. Of course, as population density increases, so does criminal activity (better odds of payoff). Note that the commentator mentions the low payoff for this crime.... multiple murders for a few hundred bucks.

Lessons:

1. Criminals act on opportunity. Don't leave access points unsecured.

2. Have a plan for escape to a pre-selected room or exit point.

I sincerely hope that these videos have spurred us on to develop a more comprehensive self-protection plan.

Lee

rrr

May 17, 2010
Keep your doors locked.
Have a gun accessible.
Set up your computer cams to do a 24 hour loop!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What do you think of the advice in this video Lee? I watched the full-length version and found some of it useful. To wit, I now always put my fully charged cell phone next to bed and I didn't used to.

rrr

May 17, 2010
On a related point, you are very much at risk in public restrooms since, at a urinal, your back is toward the open area and you are facing a wall with little peripheral vision.

The obvious steps to take in order to protect yourself would be to select a urinal at the end of the room, next to the wall, since that limits the scope of attack paths, the other step would be to select a stall and lock the door, which would slow any potential attacker down. Oh, if you are "packing" leave your drawing hand free so you can get to your gun quickly.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
In a seminar in Atlanta several years ago, we actually staged full-contact attacks with the trainee facing into a urinal stall. The results were quite interesting due to the limited space. Wearing the armored BulletMan suit, I would pin the trainee face first into the wall and put a dummy gun to his head. The ensuing fights were spectacular, with one ending as the trainee managed to spin me around and smash me into the urinal. My back struck the urinal so hard that the wall behind it buckled and the plumbing broke, spraying us down! Keep in mind, these were fairly hardened combatives practitoners, so the intensity was pretty severe. Fond memories!

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
What do you think of the advice in this video Lee? I watched the full-length version and found some of it useful. To wit, I now always put my fully charged cell phone next to bed and I didn't used to.

Overall, this is somewhat standard advice for these situations. As I've been pondering my planned thread on this topic, I find that the generic information here is fairly safe, but largely incomplete. Since over 99% of home alarm signals are false, they actually receive low priority from responders, unless you've contracted a private armed response service. Regardless, an intruder can kill your whole family and take some valuables before most quick responders arrive. Therefore, it does make sense to have a plan. The cell phone idea is excellent, and I was going to include this in my thread. Where we have a gap in information on this video is discussing the presence of kids or other family members in other rooms. Since this is not an unusual situation, it's vital to include this factor in our planning if we have others in the home. Barricading ourselves in the bedroom leaves our children unprotected and alone, unacceptable. Even without any training, most all parents would brave the exposure and move to protect/acquire their children. So, the tactics involved should be considered in the "home invasion planning" process. You'll notice the "defend yourself as well as possible" leaves a great deal to the viewer (perhaps purposely beyond the scope of the short video, but also because self defense is still quite a hot button despite castle doctrine laws). I would include a high-quality flashlight capable of at least 200 lumen output. You can find a huge selection at:

www.batteryjunction.com

I have no affiliation with this company, but have purchased and received good service from them. The flashlight can blind an attacker and ruin his night vision for several seconds, allowing you to move toward escape or move to attack him while he is fairly defenseless. Some excellent flashlights offer "strobe" capability, which can disorient the intruder even more and make it difficult for him to pinpoint your location. Many modern tactical squads use strobes effectively in structure clearing.

If you do barricade yourself in your bedroom, you must understand that calling 911 will bring police to your locked door (unless that is the entry point). I recommend having a glow-in-the-dark keyring with a key to your front door in your bedroom. In this manner, you may throw the keyring out the window and tell the 911 operator where the key is located. This will save police from smashing down your door and also save a great deal of time. Be sure to tell the 911 operator your exact location in the home, the number of people they are coming to protect, the number of intruders if you have an idea, and whether you are armed. Stay on the phone with the operator (or your spouse, etc. if you are armed and covering a doorway or hall) to alert them to any movement of the intruder(s) and if they have left the home. It has been a positive defense for use of deadly force for the entire event to be audible, such as when the intruders attempt to enter the bedroom and are fired upon, etc.

Have an escape plan. Not only is an escape plan from your bedroom at night necessary, but also plans that cover your other typical locations in the home: watching TV, cooking, etc. You know your own home better than anyone, so view your home from the eyes of the criminal. How would you get in? If a criminal is detected entering via any of your identified points, have an escape plan that doesn't involve crossing paths with them. Think about objects in each room in your home that you could employ as makeshift weapons to strike the intruder, throw at them, barricade doorways to give you more time to escape, etc. Once you've done this planning, you'll have these thought-process skills that can assist you in any location at home or away.

I hope this short discussion has shed more light on this challenge. Home invasion is a serious deal, and as responsible citizens, we should be prepared to deal with such eventualities.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Evidence continues to mount that the majority of these crimes occur when one's front door is left unlocked or the attached garage door is left open (providing access to home).

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing