MacBook Air as a Music Server?

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I'm in the process of making final choices for a music server and have narrowed down the following details:

1) Mac OSX
2) Playback through Audirivana+ using itunes integration
3) Primary control via Retune app on android with secondary control via apple remote desktop or VNC
4) Music library will be located on a network server rather than directly attached to music server
5) Digital output will be via USB to a DAC or converter (currently using the USB input on an Esoteric K-03)

I've tested this configuration on my late 2011 Macbook Air and it works great.

I've been planning on acquiring a Mac Mini for the final solution, but as I've been considering a new MacBook Air (better battery life) as my primary laptop I'm starting to wonder if it would make sense to re-purpose my current Air as the music server.

I can do a fresh OS install and pare down the unneeded applications and services. In addition there is a solution to keep the Air from sleeping when the lid is closed.

I've done some searching, but the negative points raised don't seem to have much to do with audio quality:

1) Limited connectivity - No problem: gigabit network with Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter. USB port to DAC. No need for a local CD drive as I will do ripping and metadata work on another machine.

2) Limited processing power - As tested I'm having no issues (CPU is a Core i5)

3) Limited memory - Current machine is 4GB and even with giving Audirivana a 2GB for memory playback there have been no issues with paging or performance.

4) Power supply - OK, the apple wall wart is a definite source of noise, but I can always disconnect it from the machine during playback and run off of the internal batteries.

So, does anyone out there have any data on disadvantages of using a MacBook air for this purpose?

wes

Jan 24, 2013
www.blu-ray.com
I'm in the process of making final choices for a music server and have narrowed down the following details:

1) Mac OSX
2) Playback through Audirivana+ using itunes integration
3) Primary control via Retune app on android with secondary control via apple remote desktop or VNC
4) Music library will be located on a network server rather than directly attached to music server
5) Digital output will be via USB to a DAC or converter (currently using the USB input on an Esoteric K-03)

I've tested this configuration on my late 2011 Macbook Air and it works great.....

I have been thinking about doing the same thing except, the issue is that I could see my kids wanting to borough the laptop to play games!

I like the Mac mini idea better I can get 1TB of SSD with it additional ram and can hook up the HDMi in addition to the USB

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I use a Mac Air laptop as the "controller" for my server, with a Mach2Music MacMini as the actual server. I have a 2TB hard drive connected via FireWire and use the USB from the MacMini to my DAC. I use my home network to control the MacMini via the ScreenSharing application. I get real-time (no lag, etc.) control over the MacMini in this way, and can let the kids play games on my laptop when I'm not using the server. Having the MacMini as the centerpiece allows me to rip CDs to the hard drive, and easily transfer downloaded files via thumb drive between computers.

It's HDMI out allows us to watch internet TV, youtube, etc. as well as shop Amazon on our big screen when we wish.

Works very well for me so far!

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing