Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cone break up , ... tweeter ringing ???

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar

Cone break up , ... tweeter ringing ???

As steve proposed a thread about .. cone break up .
    First simply explained how the loudspeaker works .
    The music signal is a varying alternating current/voltage , this creates a changing magnetic field in the voice coil .
    Together with the permanent magnet in the speakerunit this is "" the motor"" of the membrane .
    The voice coil gets attracted and distracted/reppeld to/from the permanent magnet.
    A LS unit is optimised for a certain freq area in the case of a (metal )dome tweeter for example 2,5 khz -20 khz http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...=76&Itemid=100
    this graphic shows a metal dome with break up at around 20 -30 - 40 khz , metal can break up quite drastic but the units keep getting better , berylium is an example http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-664000.pdf hardly any violent break up there
    When a cone breaks up its not able to follow the music signal accurately anymore and starts to make uncontrolled swings .
    Same goes for bass units(or mid units) made of hard materials / metal in this case aluminium , they can also break up quite drastic , example aluminium versus paper http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-4867t00.pdf

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-8861t00.pdf

One way of dealing with that is to use higher order filters with steeper slopes , so to make the break ups "" more "" inaudible , another way is to use for example high quality paper units which break up more friendly in general and use simple filters (less phase problems )
    Assuming though most people hear nothing higher than 20 khz , so whats the problem
    Point is you dont want these break ups to be audible , this also the reason there is a specific unit made for a specific freq area .

This is the high freq unit i use at the moment ,smoother than berylium virtually no break up although it doesnt extend as much http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d3004-662000.pdf
    These are reasons i stepped away from the use of hard materials in LS units.
    or this one a ringradiator soft dome http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/r3004-662000.pdf, although it has a little more break up its a soft dome also thus sounds different then a metal one , also quite extended
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 06-22-2013 at 02:26 PM.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    I know my W/P 7 system used to suffer from the ringing. It would create listener fatigue where I could only master on them, without getting a headache, for a couple of hours. On the other hand, I also have Focal speakers with the berylium tweeters and can sit in from of the 10-12 hours doing Post movie work and still feel my ears are fresh.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Focal did give more or less the upstart for berylium membranes with the grande utopia be iirc , it then went on from there.
    And what about the new alexias , i bet they are very listenable ??
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 06-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by andromedaaudio View Post
    And what about the new alexias , i bet they are very listenable ??
    I did 3 mastering sessions in one day and still went in after it was all over to just 'listen' to some more music. Priceless!!
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Bruce, what you say about the new tweeter in the Alexia's doesn't surprise me at all. IMO, the old Focal driver was exactly as you describe it, I couldn't listen to it for any length of time without getting listener fatigue. With a silk dome, that simply doesn't apply. Kudo's to Wilson for finally seeing the light ( or hearing the "ringing", LOL). I have to question why it took them so long to change though. I do think that in some ways they owe their old and loyal customer's an upgrade path to the new tweeter. At a price, retrofit should be accomplishable, IMO.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    At a price, retrofit should be accomplishable, IMO
    You would think but I doubt it well ever happen.I wouldn't be surprised as well to see the X2 discontinued at some point in the product line much the same as the X-1 was with the release of the X2
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Steve, I wonder if enough owners of the old tweeter were to "suggest" or to "demand" to DW and his group that a retrofit be offered and to "suggest" that it could be PROFITABLE to accommodate such a retrofit; that maybe DW would relent and offer it. Just a thought Obviously enough owner's would have to desire the upgrade and a) make it worth DW's time and b) co-operate on the request ( probably a lot easier said than done, OTOH one never knows). BTW, are you listening Debby W, LOL.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    I spoke to DW about that very issue when the speaker was shown initially as a static display at RMAF. I was told that due to changes in cabinet size as well as size of tweeter as well as different crossovers it wasn't doable

I do remember the X-1 Series V update before the X-1 was phased out
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

But still wilson chose not to do it on the x2 , it uses a 1 inch soft dome or soft dome ringradiator at the back , scanspeak iirc .
    Softdomes whether silk or not have been around a long looooong time.
    So the X2 does have a soft dome already it might take over where the focal starts to get in trouble just under 20 khz, or just ambient i dont know.
    Does the xlf has a ambient tw also ?? i ll look it up

Yes the xlf has 2 silkdomes both 1 inch , the ambienttweeter type on the x 2 is not mentioned on the site
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 06-23-2013 at 01:44 PM.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    I wouldn't be surprised if they all together dropped the MAXX3 and created an all new speaker in the ~$90-$100k range. A sweet spot between the Alexia and XLF.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast