Announcement for Pre-Release: The JaguarAudioDesign.com Free Realtime Audio OS

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I just finished working on a project to create a Realtime Linux operating system for audio. I will eventually make it available to a wide audience, but for now I want to get it out in select places like What's Best to get some feedback.

I’m not claiming this will have you rushing to abandon your jRiver or Pure Music setup, but if nothing else it’ll give you some perspective on where state-of-the-art Linux is right now. This operating system uses a realtime kernel. The goal of realtime is to give audio processes priority, to prevent interruption by non-audio processes (those that aren’t system critical). In studio production environments these interruptions can result in latency, which is a problem for recording. We’re not concerned with latency, but we can do without audio processes being interrupted. The theory is that these interruptions could disrupt the precision of the clock timing and result in jitter. Of course there are other factors that affect your sound quality, particularly your player’s driver. However, there's no question realtime operation is different; a little Nu-Force headphone amp requires a latency setting of 17.4ns to remain stable with a generic kernel and can go as low as 8.6ns with the realtime kernel.

DAC USB compatibility can be an issue for Linux, because DAC manufacturers who develop proprietary USB drivers usually develop only for Windows and Mac. However, if your DAC doesn’t require special driver installation you can connect with USB. If you use a SPDIF connection to a soundcard that should work too (most soundcards support Linux). A Linux driver for M2Tech products is also installed, though I don’t have an M2Tech unit on hand to test.

The OS is easy to run without installation, just burn a Live DVD or create a bootable thumb drive. If you'd like to try it, send me an email and I'll forward you a download link to you with instructions. If you have questions, please respond through this thread, rather than my email, for the benefit of everyone else.

Best regards,

Darin
fork@jaguaraudiodesign.com

Update: The image file and instruction manual can now be downloaded directly from the Blog post.

http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/blog/2013/07/the-jaguaraudiodesign-com-free-realtime-audio-os/

Last edited:

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I just finished working on a project to create a Realtime Linux operating system for audio. I will eventually make it available to a wide audience

Will it be open source?

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Will it work on Mac/Apple hardware?

alexandre

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Is this going to be a complete turn-key player or just the real time OS on which the user would load his playback software of choice? If it's the former can you please detail what playback software you are using as well as options for remote control, etc?

Very interesting project!

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
To respond to both questions above, the OS is capable of running on any Mac or PC that uses an Intel CPU (AMD or Motorola chips will not work).

There is no software to add, it's all-in-one. All the tools are basic Linux tools. I used JACK music server, because it has the lowest latency, the simplest GUI and about 7 drivers to choose from and I used Rhythmbox music player, because it's one of the few Linux players that allows you to click through filters to play music and doesn't require you to build a playlist. There is no remote control or other frills; it's made for the way I listen, which is to display the player on my TV screen and click through the music.

Darin

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Hi guys,

I just automated the download process for the audio operating system, so you don't need to contact me about the download. Just go to my Blog and in the post you can have the link emailed to you.

Cheers,

Darin

http://www.jaguaraudiodesign.com/blog/welcome/blog/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing