Will a outboard speed controller improve sound?

class a

Jul 10, 2011
I was told that an outboard speed controller will not improve the sound of a TT. If the motor is running properly you'll here no difference. I was thinking of adding a Lingo to my LP12. Is this just a box that will give me the option of 45 records and no improved sound.:confused:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
short answer is yes. is your LP12 a valhalla? About two years ago I picked up a mid-90s valhalla that i upgraded with a mose/hercules PSU. It functions exactly like a lingo and can either replace the Vallaha board in the 'table or be used in a separate case with an umbilical cord, no drilling or new holes required bascially plug-n-play. you get a new two-speed switch so you can change speed on the fly. it comes over from the far east but shouldnt put you off, its very well made. you need to figure out if you have a 50 hz or 60 hz motor. Lp12 basic came with a 60 hz motor, valhallas came with 50 hz motors.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Mose-He..._Accessories&hash=item5af06d45c6#ht_587wt_899

I owned a high-spec LP12 back in the day with a lingo MkI and imo its not worth seeking out a used lingo mkI at nearly twice the cost of the new mose.

class a

Jul 10, 2011
I have a 1986 LP12 w/a Valhalla board w/a a Cirkus upgrade and and an Ittok LVII arm. How did the mose improve the sound?? Looks like an intresting alternative.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
has your valhalla been re-capped? theres an electrolitic on the board that fails with time. the speed on my table was drifting with the stock PSU, so the improvment was obvious. the mose is not a lingo copy but more like a redesigned valhalla that allows speed changes electronically at the push of a button. heres the link to buy directly from the mfr in HK: http://www.herculespsu.com/

class a

Jul 10, 2011
I'm having my Valhalla put back in this week. It was sent to Niel Jadman in California who does a Valhalla upgrade. Regular service includes:A) 3 new main caps w/350v rated parts B)Replacing all other electrolytics on the board w/new parts C)New rectifier bridge w/higher rated unit D)New main power input resistor w/SG 240 Thermistor D)Zenor Diode as required. Total cost was $85. My dealer has used him in the past and gave him high marks. I should get it back by next week.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing