How do you "flex" or show nuance of your music system for visitors?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Whart, do yourself a favor and get both the BS&T and Phoebe snow 45 rpm reissues. no matter how many times you think you heard "poetry man" "spinning wheel" or "you've made me so very happy" the SQ on these records will astound you. goes to show what some of these master tapes must really sound like when you 'take the gloves off' so to speak.

Do you have a link the the BS&T LP? I love that LP (and even the 7 1/2 ips tape). I'll take a pass on the Phoebe Snow. Her voice never excited me.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Do you have a link the the BS&T LP? I love that LP (and even the 7 1/2 ips tape). I'll take a pass on the Phoebe Snow. Her voice never excited me.

Mep there are some songs on that Phoebe album -Harpo's Blues for example- that are very good.
Re BS & T, I have pretty early Columbia pressings that sound amazing, even though they are standard, el cheapo, thin vinyl from the era. After Puro's recommendation, I ordered both 45's from the Chad-ster, and can do a comparo with early pressings ( on the Phoebe, I know I have very early pressings).
best,

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Below I’m going to list a few LPs that are very good and very dynamic. They tend to playback well on a variety of systems. However, they are really shown most impressively on full range systems that have incredibly good dynamics AND can truly show orchestral or large band heft and weight as well as horn dynamics and string tone without losing composure. Additionally some of these LPs cast a very wide and deep soundstage. They tend to show a total package of system performance in terms of the flex and nuance as described in the thread title.

These LP listed below are usually what I will use as “sendoff” LPs. Depending on the music tastes of the visitor, I usually pick at least one of these LPs to play when I want to uncork the system and let it breath unencumbered at high SPLs.

Here are my sendoff lists of LPs that I will usually play, at least one of these, at uncorked high SPL levels:

Berlioz – Symphonie Fantastique (Kojian conducting the Utah Symphony) - Reference Recording 45rpm double LP

Ravel – La Valse (Carlo Rizzi conducting the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra) – Tacet, 33rpm

Rossini – Italiania in Algeri, sinfonia (Myung - Whun Chung conducting the Orchestra dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia) Fone’ Records, direct to disc, 45rpm

The O-zone percussion Group – The Percussion Record – (start with Track 1 on Side A…) Klavier Records / Clearaudio, 33rpm

Added bonus:

Pink Floyd – The Wall – (First record, all of Side 1…) Columbia Records, 33rpm

Those are the current sendoff listed LPs, for new or infrequent visitors, that have big dynamics and get played at high SPLs.

I’ll list some more during session LPs, that I tend to like for different reasons, a little later.

Comments are welcome,

Dre

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Below I’m going to list a few LPs that are very good and very dynamic. They tend to playback well on a variety of systems. However, they are really shown most impressively on full range systems that have incredibly good dynamics AND can truly show orchestral or large band heft and weight as well as horn dynamics and string tone without losing composure. Additionally some of these LPs cast a very wide and deep soundstage. They tend to show a total package of system performance in terms of the flex and nuance as described in the thread title.

These LP listed below are usually what I will use as “sendoff” LPs. Depending on the music tastes of the visitor, I usually pick at least one of these LPs to play when I want to uncork the system and let it breath unencumbered at high SPLs.

Here are my sendoff lists of LPs that I will usually play, at least one of these, at uncorked high SPL levels:

Berlioz – Symphonie Fantastique (Kojian conducting the Utah Symphony) - Reference Recording 45rpm double LP

Ravel – La Valse (Carlo Rizzi conducting the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra) – Tacet, 33rpm

Rossini – Italiania in Algeri, sinfonia (Myung - Whun Chung conducting the Orchestra dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia) Fone’ Records, direct to disc, 45rpm

The O-zone percussion Group – The Percussion Record – (start with Track 1 on Side A…) Klavier Records / Clearaudio, 33rpm

Added bonus:

Those are the current sendoff listed LPs, for new or infrequent visitors, that have big dynamics and get played at high SPLs.

I’ll list some more during session LPs, that I tend to like for different reasons, a little later.

Comments are welcome,

Dre

Hi Dre, I agree The Wall would be a good one. Very dynamic. When I was a teenager I probably listened to that on CD and the VHS movie a thousand times. I did not hear it on LP until about 4 years ago. I could not believe how much more dynamic and satisfying it was.

Sean

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Hi Dre, I agree The Wall would be a good one. Very dynamic. When I was a teenager I probably listened to that on CD and the VHS movie a thousand times. I did not hear it on LP until about 4 years ago. I could not believe how much more dynamic and satisfying it was.

Sean

I really like the propulsive drive of the bass drum and that strong bass line that rides along with it. All of that going on with the rest of the performance works well when it’s all resolved. Many times the lower registers are truncated and the stuff up top turn to mush. But when it all holds together, it does sound really good. Then the ending of that side with Mother adds just a touch of musical delicacy in addition to a nice piece of simple but sweet guitar strumming.

The two most taxing of the bunch are the Symphonie Fantastique performance on disk 2 and the Percussion Record. Anyone with full range and well-tuned bass will be shocked at the result that this foundation adds to the incredibly good dynamics through the rest of the spectrum.

The Rossini is a live recording that doesn’t sound like other Fone recordings I have. It’s simply wonderful across the board. The Ravel is worth every penny. I'm not sure if the interpretation (which is subjective to me) is as good as the Paray on Mercury, but it defiantly outpaces it in terms of resolution and instrumental textures as well as dynamics. IMO.

Dre

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The two most taxing of the bunch are the Symphonie Fantastique performance on disk 2...IMO.

Dre

Have you heard the Colin Davis Symphonie Fantastique? Just got it and compared it back to back with my Pentatone Janowski (very good recording with wider dynamic range it seems)...and solidly preferred the Colin Davis.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I really like the propulsive drive of the bass drum and that strong bass line that rides along with it. All of that going on with the rest of the performance works well when it’s all resolved. Many times the lower registers are truncated and the stuff up top turn to mush. But when it all holds together, it does sound really good. Then the ending of that side with Mother adds just a touch of musical delicacy in addition to a nice piece of simple but sweet guitar strumming.

The two most taxing of the bunch are the Symphonie Fantastique performance on disk 2 and the Percussion Record. Anyone with full range and well-tuned bass will be shocked at the result that this foundation adds to the incredibly good dynamics through the rest of the spectrum.

The Rossini is a live recording that doesn’t sound like other Fone recordings I have. It’s simply wonderful across the board. The Ravel is worth every penny. I'm not sure if the interpretation (which is subjective to me) is as good as the Dorati on Mercury, but it defiantly outpaces it in terms of resolution and instrumental textures as well as dynamics. IMO.

Dre

I will have to try and find those. I assume they are OOP?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

the Kojian/Utah Sym berlioz Symphonie Fantastique RR 45rpm LP is a stunner especially the final movement "march to the scaffold" this is what audiophile dreams are made of :)

ultimately i would side with lloyd's reco as colin davis' reading is more famous and held in high regard but i dont recall it has anywheres the SQ or dynamic range of prof Johnson's
recording.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Added bonus:

Comments are welcome,

Dre

If you want a REAL percussion record that will knock your socks off, try this LP :)

http://www.discogs.com/Yasukazu-Amemiya-Summer-Prayer/release/2257735

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If you want a REAL percussion record that will knock your socks off, try this LP :)

http://www.discogs.com/Yasukazu-Amemiya-Summer-Prayer/release/2257735
I have that record- I had Quads when I bought it, kinda scary.
Some of the Reference Recordings Dre mentioned are very good- I have a bunch from way back when but none of the recent ones.
I'll have to try that Summer Prayer record on the horns. Ought to be enlivening.
I also have some crazy jamaican dub record that is crazy dynamic. Can't remember where I bought it. (kinda figures, right?)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Have you heard the Colin Davis Symphonie Fantastique? Just got it and compared it back to back with my Pentatone Janowski (very good recording with wider dynamic range it seems)...and solidly preferred the Colin Davis.

Hi Lloyd,

I have the Colin Davis, a couple Solti's (King Super and Stereo Lab reissues) on London, a couple Maazels (Telarc and MoFi), a Metha on London, a Paray on Mercury and a Martinon on EMI. While the Colin Davis is nice and very respectable, I tended to listen to the Solti or the Metha more. None of them, however, can match the Reference Recording for sheer dynamics, excitement, or that "it is the last thing you heard" memory this record leaves you with. Even I am pretty satisfied for a long time after listening to this LP and I have it to play at will. I have the LP right here and each time I look at it the memory of the last playing is still with me. The 4th movement in this performance of this RR 45rpm is a serious shocker.

I would suggest for anyone playing this to start out listening at a low level on the first go-round to make sure nothing clips, jumps, or displaces itself. in other words, don't uncork this thing until you are sure everything is copacetic with playback at higher levels.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

The Berlioz and Rossini are out of print but can be found. The Rossini was a limited run of only 496 LPs though.

The Ravel on Tacet is still in print
The Percussion Record is still in print as well

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
the Kojian/Utah Sym berlioz Symphonie Fantastique RR 45rpm LP is a stunner especially the final movement "march to the scaffold" this is what audiophile dreams are made of :)

... colin davis' reading is more famous and held in high regard but i dont recall it has anywheres the SQ or dynamic range of prof Johnson's
recording.

Agreed. Its not close at all. The reason I chose that pressing is that it sits, fully satisfied, in your memory for a long time after hearing it. This is in perspective with my "send them home" portion of the "flex" and nuances selection.

Dre

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
We'll see in about a week or so. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dre

I also ordered both. Let the games begin.:D

Also ordered the Ravel on Tacet. I think I got the last one on Amazon for $40. Will have to cross my fingers on the OOP ones.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Sean

Ssh. Don't tell the digital crowd that. They will demand all manner of evidence and scientific proof and they would postulate that given a rigorous double-blind test that you couldn't detect the difference between the vinyl copy and a low-rate MP3.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mep there are some songs on that Phoebe album -Harpo's Blues for example- that are very good.
Re BS & T, I have pretty early Columbia pressings that sound amazing, even though they are standard, el cheapo, thin vinyl from the era. After Puro's recommendation, I ordered both 45's from the Chad-ster, and can do a comparo with early pressings ( on the Phoebe, I know I have very early pressings).
best,

Bill-Whenever I think of Phoebe Snow, the only song that comes into my head is "I like the nightlife, I like to boogie.." from the dreaded disco era when I was young, single, and out haunting bars in search of women. That would have been around 1976-1977. In 1978 I was married and I'm currently doing 35-to life. Anyway, I have several old Columbia pressings of BS&T that sound fantastic except for noise. I have a reissue that leaves me a little cold and if the 45 RPM gets two thumbs up from people that heard it, I will jump on it. If you can convince me that the rest of Phoebe Snow doesn't sound like the song I quoted above, I'm willing to give it a try. As a person I do like her and understand she was never quite the same after her daughter died.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I also ordered both. Let the games begin.:D

Also ordered the Ravel on Tacet. I think I got the last one on Amazon for $40. Will have to cross my fingers on the OOP ones.

That's great/ be sure and et me know how they play in your system. Based on my last visit, I think you will like them and at the very least they should make your demo pile.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Ssh. Don't tell the digital crowd that. They will demand all manner of evidence and scientific proof and they would postulate that given a rigorous double-blind test that you couldn't detect the difference between the vinyl copy and a low-rate MP3.

Thankfully, I don't listen to music double-blinded...

Dre

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thankfully, I don't listen to music double-blinded...

Dre

Me neither, and most of the people who clamor for DBTs don't do them either. They just want everybody else that hears something different from what they hear and don't agree with to undergo a DBT. It's kind of like waterboarding-you don't want to experience it yourself, but you do wish it upon people you don't agree with or who don't agree with you. People who claim they love DBTs are the same people who claim they love measurements even when they don't have any measurements nor have they participated in DBTs that would pass scientific scrutiny.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing