Major Bob Carver Announcement: now selling direct (Emotiva)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Bob Carver Vacuum Tube Company has officially been acquired by Jade Design (Emotiva).

They are now selling some products direct.

The Black Magic VTA120 20 wpc (40 wpc in mono block configuration) EL84M amp I reviewed for Tone Audio Issue 53
is now.....$1690. It used to be $2400 through dealers and Music Direct.

Folks, in my humble opinion, this is the steal of the decade. This combined with the Kef LS50
would be a ridiculous combo for around $3000.

http://www.bobcarver.com/vta20s.asp

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks Andre for sharing!

And true; seems to be a good match for the KEF LS50 Anniversary Model monitors. ...With a NAD Music Server as the source? ...Or a TT?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I always liked el84s, fun and punchy little things. I'd love to see a shootout between this and Manley's Stingray.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Bob Carver Vacuum Tube Company has officially been acquired by Jade Design (Emotiva).

They are now selling some products direct.

The Black Magic VTA120 20 wpc (40 wpc in mono block configuration) EL84M amp I reviewed for Tone Audio Issue 53
is now.....$1690. It used to be $2400 through dealers and Music Direct.

Folks, in my humble opinion, this is the steal of the decade. This combined with the Kef LS50

http://www.bobcarver.com/vta20s.asp

Music Direct spent a lot of money advertising Bob carver products in their catalog. I'm sure they can't be to happy about this.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A lot of companies have analyzed and assessed the pros and cons of going direct. If selling direct was so advantageous, then why aren't more than a handful doing that nowadays? The real problem that most manufacturers face is not the sales but dealing with finicky (to be kind) audiophiles who will then drive them crazy and in the end return the product. Then what does the manufacturers do? They have to sell the unit at a loss because the equipment can no longer be sold as new. Enough of these and it's like a hospital accepting medicaid. Goodbye.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
A lot of companies have analyzed and assessed the pros and cons of going direct. If selling direct was so advantageous, then why aren't more than a handful doing that nowadays? The real problem that most manufacturers face is not the sales but dealing with finicky (to be kind) audiophiles who will then drive them crazy and in the end return the product. Then what does the manufacturers do? They have to sell the unit at a loss because the equipment can no longer be sold as new. Enough of these and it's like a hospital accepting medicaid. Goodbye.

I think you will see more companies going direct in the next couple of years. Cary audio will sell you direct now if you don't have a dealer within 100 miles from where you live. Actually it's better for the consumer in the long run. They can save a lot of money.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think you will see more companies going direct in the next couple of years. Cary audio will sell you direct now if you don't have a dealer within 100 miles from where you live. Actually it's better for the consumer in the long run. They can save a lot of money.

I've been hearing that for years. Actions speak louder than words.

Basically the only companies selling direct are some new companies that so far are closed out of high-end stores.

If I was Cary, I'd give the business to one of my nearest stores. But is Cary selling it for the same retail price as the store charges? If so, isn't Cary then making more money since they collect both their own mark up and the store's?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Where are they mfd?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks Andre for sharing!

And true; seems to be a good match for the KEF LS50 Anniversary Model monitors. ...With a NAD Music Server as the source? ...Or a TT?

My pleasure Bob. I have not experience with the NAD. Maybe the best source hear would be the Oppo 105!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Clearly, Emotiva decided to apply their business model after the acquisition.

I agree there are pitfalls to going direct.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

imo, in a normal sized room you need more than 20wpc to drive an 85db sensitive speaker. you'll clip the amp on 98 db peaks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
imo, in a normal sized room you need more than 20wpc to drive an 85db sensitive speaker. you'll clip the amp on 98 db peaks.

Lesse: "The LS50 has roughly an average sensitivity of 84.5dB, and drops to 4 ohms at 200Hz and to 5.4 ohms at the top of the audio band.
The combination of the electrical phase of -41 degree at 135Hz and an impedance of 5.3 ohms at that frequency highly suggests that a 4 ohm amplifier is best for the LS50 monitors."

=> http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker-measurements

Rob, you have a valid point. ...The Black Magic VTA20S ($1,700 and still expensive for some) is a 20 wpc amp (into 8 ohms).

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Emotiva wants to have their products made more and more in the ol' USA; from what I've just read over at the Lounge. ...Same for whiskey.

...The Bob Carver tubed amps (and Subs eventually) definitely made in the USA. I think.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Zu Audio has been around over a decade now, direct.
Daedulus seems to be doing decent
Odyssey (an Alon Wolf fav) has been doing it since the late 90s
Modwright isn't going anywhere
Red Wine Audio has done well

I think for more value-oriented companies (like Carver actually) it can make some sense. I don't think selling Magico or Wilson direct is reasonable. Old world companies like ARC, CJ, etc have 40 years of brand recognition, so it's a very different decision.

I think a lot of folks just go through distributors directly on the foreign made stuff. And some dealers now are becoming distributors (Upscale w/ Primaluna) as the model has changed.

The old school dealer model to me is broken now. I was just asked to pay $250 to demo a used piece of gear at a local dealer- and he's a dealer for the line. GTFO.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, the obvious response to the OP is that Carver gear isn't selling well in stores. He's not doing this by choice is my guess.

btw, Tesla is trying to do the same in the car world and is seeing big resistance by the dealer network in several states.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing