Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
On the same note, a PowerPoint from Audio Precision:

By Bruce Hofer, Chairman & Co-Founder, Audio Precision

Hello Kevin,

Last month I discussed some of the sources of non-linear distortion that resistors can introduce in analog circuits. I also mentioned that more information would be included in a tutorial I was scheduled to present at the Rome AES Convention that was held recently on May 3–7. A copy of my slides may be downloaded from the link below:

Download Designing for Ultra-Low THD+N in Analog Circuits

http://app.cooleremail.com/c.pl?5ce6ea18a3d849ca34f9f93738b222a11d2ac5fc64c26ad7

In a major departure from past conventions, the AES convention in Rome this year was held in a special business meeting venue that was not an exhibition hall, or associated with a major hotel. “Exhibits” were replaced by small tables manned by “Sponsors” located throughout the hallways between the various lecture rooms. Audio Precision was one of perhaps only 20 such sponsors present this time. While the technical program of European AES conventions remains strong, exhibits have been struggling to find the proper tradeoff between business opportunity and cost. Perhaps this newer, less formal form of exhibiting will encourage increased participation in the future.

As always Rome offers some of the best sights (and food) in all of Europe. While sipping a grappa after a particularly good dinner one night, I caught myself wondering if the ancient Romans had any concept of distortion…

Bruce

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Continuing on the same note:
Do a search for these old Cyril Bateman Articles. The URL's keep moving about.

Cyril Bateman Articles
Electronics World Magazine

Capacitor Distortion: Part 1 _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman _ July 2002 _ p12
Capacitor Distortion: Part 2 _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman _ Sept 2002 _ p16
Capacitor Distortion: Part 3 _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman _ Oct 2002 _ p12
Capacitor Distortion: Part 4 _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman _ Nov 2002 _ p40
Capacitor Distortion: Part 5 _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman _ Dec 2002 _ p44
Capacitor Distortion: Part 6 _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman _ Jan 2003 _ p44
Capacitor Sounds II: Part 1
Real-Time Hardware _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman July 2003 p36
Distortion v Time v Bias _ _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman _ Aug 2003 _ p46
Capacitor Sounds II: Part 3
Distortion Meter _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Cyril Bateman _ Sept 2003 _ p46
Capacitor and Amplifier Distortions _ Cyril Bateman _ Nov 2003 _ p44

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
Capacitor distortion is not exactly a new discovery, and everything depends on what kind of capacitor, and the ratio of AC to DC voltage across it. Ceramics of the wrong sort can look like something much more complex than any capacitor. Ditto electrolytics, including bipolars in crossovers.

Ditto things like carbon resistors, which have a very surprising coefficient of resistance vs. voltage if you get beyond small-signal voltages. I've seen quite some surprising kinds of distortion from resistors running with 200 vrms. Replacing with metal film dropped distortion from -40dB to -110dB. Ooops.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing