Stage 3 Concept Power Cords

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Glory .. I am comparing in house to Siltech Double Crown , ZenSati Seraphim & Jorma Prime so the playing field is stern an I find the S3 acquitting itself rather well compared to it's peers . I find the S3 , quite nuanced and balanced . I guess it depends on system synergy . Will keep at it longer , so that I can assess it's character better . Not to aware about the Thales , will have a look . Thanks for the heads up .

Hi Jazz, so what's your thoughts and impression of the comparison? Did you do individual testing (PC, IC, SC) or by the loom?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Hi Jazz, so what's your thoughts and impression of the comparison? Did you do individual testing (PC, IC, SC) or by the loom?
Hi bvdiman .. yes I did , and ended up using the Stage iii . I am yet to complete the loom , awaiting an AES lead and 3 PC's(Kraken) . You can check up their web-site for a more thorough technical description, very well explained it is , no voodoo here . Their build quality is exemplary, the best that I have come across, simply astounding, on par or better than Siltech . Also innovative is their use of proprietary connectors rather than off the shelf as is the norm .

I started off with a comparison between the S3 Zyklops PC from wall to distributor V/S the Siltech Ruby Double Crown . The Zyklops bettered it in terms of a lower noise floor,surprising since I considered this to be a strong suite of the RDC , and more propulsive deep bass . The RDC though was smoother , with a more rounded tonal palette but more genteel . Next in went the S3 flagship PC the Kraken . Before we delve further , I must put up my hand and say this is the best ever PC that I have experienced . On first sighting , looking at it's girth and intimidating appearance ,the thought that comes to mind is BASSS . Deliver it does ,but mind you what makes it special is this potency coupled with an even lower noise floor and most importantly a depth and deepening of tone .Individual notes take on a delicious weight and density but not at the expense of separation and pace .It has this uncanny effect of expanding the stage, seemingly pushing the walls of the listening room apart. It is a PC originally designed for high power applications . At present I have it from wall to distributor and to my power-amp , from feed back however it does as well with DAC's pre's and such . I hope to be able to put that to test once the incoming cords arrive .

In a nut shell , and this pertains to the I/C's and S/C's as well ... The Siltech Royal Crown are the smoothest of the lot , tonally very good though not the ultimate extension to their top end , ZenSati Seraphim .. the fastest , copious amounts of air and a huge soundstage , their accent more on the leading edge than on tail development , a cable that is 'the' match for tube amps ... Jorma Prime I/C & S/C, great inner glow and musicality with that burnished copper tone , addictive to some , the Prime P/C I do not rate as highly due to their mid-bass not being to my taste . The S3 has the lowest noise floor of the lot , combines well the virtues of transparency and musicality with potent tone density and has the most even energy distribution to it's frequency band . My current cable of choice .

Just my two cents , all comments above are as experienced by me in my rig , YMMV . Cheers and Happy Listening .

Last edited:

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I own Four S3 Kraken Power cords. Two on my power amps, one on my line stage, last one on my phono pre. They killed every thing else we tried . These power cords are just amazing.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Upgrade to Kraken leaves free 1 2mt Zyklops . PM me if interested. Thanks

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I own Four S3 Kraken Power cords. Two on my power amps, one on my line stage, last one on my phono pre. They killed every thing else we tried . These power cords are just amazing.

Good to hear , what are you using from wall to conditioner/distributor ?

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Hi Jazz,
Thanks very much for sharing.. Your mini review sure got me drooling, and for what you say they do, I think prices are quite within reason. Their built quality looks impeccable.. Innard seems similar to Ruby DC in that using solid rectangular flat core as conductors, though material wise probably more akin to that of Crystal Absolute Dream being silver/palladium. What's also interesting is that from the few reviews I read (and yours too), sound descriptives of them fit-in with what I'd describe the Siltech DCs as well - many similar traits there.

I've also found that Ruby DC not best suited for from wall to distributor/conditioner (although excellent, there are better), but for amps and upstream components thought them to be truly superb. I started with one Ruby DC and ended now with a loom (my SC was already Emperor C). Initially when using only one Ruby DC, I felt speed and uppermost extension to be slightly lacking - adding an Empress DC into the mix solved this. Found that with each addition (later replacing 3 more PCs with Rubies, and latest adding Emperor DC jumpers), it only evolves to strengthen and reinforced virtues which I prized highly of them. Also, only through 'complete loom' solution (+long bedding-in period) were I able to realized fullest potential/most balanced sound out of the Siltech DCs - seems best be used in tandem.

Honestly, I'm darn tempted but a little reluctant to try the Stage3s, wary that if I liked them too much, might end up having to re-vamp whole cabling over again. :p Hearsay, Siltech will be introducing their new flagship at upcoming CES. Perhaps my better bet would be to wait a bit and upgrade pieces of DCs to it if later proven to be yet significantly better. :eek:

Looking forward to your further impression with incoming loom on board, bet they'll be even more out of this world!

Cheers!

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
bvdiman, totaly agree on the siltech loom approach, and for that matter anycables. some like to pick"best" model out of every line and"mix". i found in my expereince to have a family of the same brand to work best.
the stage 3 cables are terrific, btw, tried them briefly a few years back and was very impressed.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
bvdiman, totaly agree on the siltech loom approach, and for that matter anycables. some like to pick"best" model out of every line and"mix". i found in my expereince to have a family of the same brand to work best.
the stage 3 cables are terrific, btw, tried them briefly a few years back and was very impressed.

Ozy... did you try the current crop , they are relatively a new generation . I recently had the good fortune of upgrading all my power cords to the Stage 3 Kraken and couldn't be happier . The tonal rightness and control it helps develop is very very impressive . The energy structure of each instrument is now even more separated and defined , without any textures bleeding into adjoining spaces . Equivalent pressure levels obtained at a lower gain setting and a pure tonal palate . A supreme PC IMHO .
Having tried the singular loom approach several times in the past without much success , I had strayed to a mix and match approach . Happily back to the fold now though , with my Stage 3 wires stem to stern and very content with the results .

Last edited:

ellevoid

Jun 6, 2014
Has anyone have experience with Stage3 new power cord Triton, Trydent or Aegir?

I can't effort the Kraken, so I'm looking for lower-end PC from Stage3.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Stage 3 Concepts Leviathan

The Kraken looks a baby in front of it's Big Daddy !!!!! unnamed-1.jpg 10900065_895897470479430_7125179879193476899_o.jpg 10900166_895897473812763_2686762268054946789_o.jpg 1979202_895897467146097_7242981333652407457_o.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Leviathan Statement Audio Power
Stage III Concepts was the first audio cable company to use "floating" ribbon conductors for power applications, giving us nearly 20 years to experiment, test and perfect our exclusive and highly effective signal/current transmission technology. This invaluable experience recently culminated in the critically acclaimed A.S.P. KRAKEN power cable. The exceptional performance of the A.S.P. KRAKEN is literally multiplied in this new unique 3-in-1 design.
The A.S.P. LEVIATHAN's conductor array is like no other in the industry, consisting of 3 wholly independent multi-conductor cables, capable of handling an incredible 80 amps of clean, unrestricted current. As its name implies, truly a monster in appearance and performance.
Extreme mechanical damping in conjunction with impenetrable layers of proprietary shielding and conductor geometry completely eliminate the possibility of any induced microphonics from vibrations or airborne electromagnetic interferences. Among its many sonic attributes (especially when used with amplifiers) expect to hear a perfect noise floor, smoothness and a relaxed authority that eliminates any compression or strain audible with most other, more restrictive power cable designs. No high-end amplifier on the planet, regardless of size or power requirements, will be impaired or even present a challenge to the A.S.P. LEVIATHAN.
LEVIATHAN is simply not comparable to any other audio power cables on the market, a totally new category has emerged, a new brass ring of flawless performance that all others will strive for and attempt to emulate. 100% hand made with 100% proprietary elements, and absolutely no commercially produced or "off-the-shelf" components.
The ultimate achievement in statement-level audio power delivery.
Product Specifications:
A.S.P. LEVIATHAN power cables employ 4x3 heavy-gauge Cryo-treated, custom slow-extruded silver/palladium AeroStrandUltra™ ribbon conductors. Air dielectric with FEP Teflon air-tubes. Multi-layer shield with H.D.A. 100% radiation invulnerable foil.
Geometry consisting of 3 individually damped and shielded cables in a twisted helix configuration. Each conductor + 3 heavy gauge plated silver ground wires individually shielded with silver plated braid.
Multi-layer construction with soft-polymer tubing + silica/ceramic/ferrite mechanical damping/shielding layer. Custom, hand made proprietary polymer/fiber plug + cable housings.

number95

May 14, 2014
Leviathan Statement Audio Power
Stage III Concepts was the first audio cable company to use "floating" ribbon conductors for power applications, giving us nearly 20 years to experiment, test and perfect our exclusive and highly effective signal/current transmission technology. This invaluable experience recently culminated in the critically acclaimed A.S.P. KRAKEN power cable. The exceptional performance of the A.S.P. KRAKEN is literally multiplied in this new unique 3-in-1 design.
The A.S.P. LEVIATHAN's conductor array is like no other in the industry, consisting of 3 wholly independent multi-conductor cables, capable of handling an incredible 80 amps of clean, unrestricted current. As its name implies, truly a monster in appearance and performance.
Extreme mechanical damping in conjunction with impenetrable layers of proprietary shielding and conductor geometry completely eliminate the possibility of any induced microphonics from vibrations or airborne electromagnetic interferences. Among its many sonic attributes (especially when used with amplifiers) expect to hear a perfect noise floor, smoothness and a relaxed authority that eliminates any compression or strain audible with most other, more restrictive power cable designs. No high-end amplifier on the planet, regardless of size or power requirements, will be impaired or even present a challenge to the A.S.P. LEVIATHAN.
LEVIATHAN is simply not comparable to any other audio power cables on the market, a totally new category has emerged, a new brass ring of flawless performance that all others will strive for and attempt to emulate. 100% hand made with 100% proprietary elements, and absolutely no commercially produced or "off-the-shelf" components.
The ultimate achievement in statement-level audio power delivery.
Product Specifications:
A.S.P. LEVIATHAN power cables employ 4x3 heavy-gauge Cryo-treated, custom slow-extruded silver/palladium AeroStrandUltra™ ribbon conductors. Air dielectric with FEP Teflon air-tubes. Multi-layer shield with H.D.A. 100% radiation invulnerable foil.
Geometry consisting of 3 individually damped and shielded cables in a twisted helix configuration. Each conductor + 3 heavy gauge plated silver ground wires individually shielded with silver plated braid.
Multi-layer construction with soft-polymer tubing + silica/ceramic/ferrite mechanical damping/shielding layer. Custom, hand made proprietary polymer/fiber plug + cable housings.

Has anyone here tried Leviathan and/or compared it to Kraken?

number95

May 14, 2014
Ok I have started to try Kraken. I don't think it needs to be listened too much to get a view, actually it's the opposite, it is enough to make a fair assessment after a while. Btw the Kraken I have tried is 15a so it didn't fit to main source of Shunyata Triton's 20a so I tried the Kraken with my cd player -the only gear me having 15a plug- rather than the original plan of using it as main power cable for Triton.

Unfortunately the difference between my Ztron Anaconda and Kraken is like night and day. It is hard -at least for me- to believe but that is the case. I am not pleased as heavily invested to Shunyata Anacondas (have 8 Anacondas including umbilical cord of Typhoon and power amps even a/c motor of turntable is fed by Anaconda) but that is the reality. I still think Ztron Anaconda is a very good p/c compared to many others but it is no match to Kraken. If Anaconda is from Earth, Kraken is from Mars. If Anaconda is Porsche Boxster, Kraken is Bugatti Veyron. Kraken has made everything that Anaconda does significantly better. It first sounds darker but then you realize it is not dark, the other cable is bright or having artificial highs added as noise. The dynamics, bass grip and texture are tremendous, the inner details and harmonics are there, there is a significant layering of instruments in terms of depth, the background is pitch black. Overall, the music sounds much more effortless and crystal clear while there is more dynamics and detail which also leads to a more realistic presentation. I wonder what if I had a chance to try Kraken with preamp, phono stage and power amps all together! Conclusion: Stage III Kraken is by far the best power cord that I have ever tried. Compared to another expensive and very good performer, Kraken completely destroyed it. Yes Kraken is ridiculously expensive which is the biggest downside rather than its bulk.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Running a full loom of Kraken PC's and I concur with you , it is a bit of a shock when you insert one . The effect only intensifying as you add more . Have not tried the Leviathan myself , but a friend has and says it's supposedly uber uber good !!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has anyone compared this to Ansuz or Tara Cobalt? Also hearing good things about JMF audio power cord which is actually just over 1k euro, but audioblazer, who owns Tara, Goebbel, and Scherezinger or whatever the spelling is rates it

number95

May 14, 2014
Running a full loom of Kraken PC's and I concur with you , it is a bit of a shock when you insert one . The effect only intensifying as you add more . Have not tried the Leviathan myself , but a friend has and says it's supposedly uber uber good !!!

Hello Jazzhead,

Do you use a power conditioner etc ? If yes do you also use a Kraken between wall and power conditioner? I am trying to figure out if that connection has the most dramatic impact or so?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Jazzhead,

Do you use a power conditioner etc ? If yes do you also use a Kraken between wall and power conditioner? I am trying to figure out if that connection has the most dramatic impact or so?

He uses the Gigawatt

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Hello Jazzhead,

Hello there ,the answer is NO . I use the Gigawatt PC Evo4 which has its power cord, terminated with the Neutricon connector . I have thought of terminating a Kraken with a Neutricon , but have not as yet gone thru with it . From past experience though , that is the logical place for your best PC . A Leviathan feeding a den of Krakens will be pretty amazing , I can bet .

number95

May 14, 2014
Hello there ,the answer is NO . I use the Gigawatt PC Evo4 which has its power cord, terminated with the Neutricon connector . I have thought of terminating a Kraken with a Neutricon , but have not as yet gone thru with it . From past experience though , that is the logical place for your best PC . A Leviathan feeding a den of Krakens will be pretty amazing , I can bet .
Thanks for the info. These cords are damn expensive but after listening to Kraken there is no turning back, the difference is so dramatic.

maslak34

Wait until you guys hear the new speaker cable medusa.. And also the analog cable

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing