MUSIC SERVER: WEISS 301, Aurender, LUMIN.... HELP !

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
AH so many choices... !

I am going to get an Audio server, that is for sure, but .... which one ? ? ?

Still hesitating between WEISS 301 DAC, WEISS 301 Without DAC, Aurender, LUMIN, even ARC REF DAC..... or waiting for the Total DAC-SERVER !

Any suggestion or help from someone who heard some of them ?

thanks in advance

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
True, many choices indeed, and from various price points. ...All depending of your personal use and ergonomics and features' preferences.
...Sound quality as well; depending of the geographical provenance and its designer's implementation of all the chosen parts.

Bryston, NAD, LINN, Meridian, ...

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for the link to the memory player. Seems interesting, but I must admit that I did not really understood what it is. Their WEB site is a real disaster...

Otherwise, to answer Northstar question: I am not fan of Ethernet/NAS/pnp..bla bla, and I can't bring an ethernet network to the listening room. So, a hard disk (SSD ?) directly connected (USB, E-Sata...) to the Audio server (or even better, IN the audio server) will be fine for me and more convenient than a a NAS approach.

Revel Salon 2

Mar 10, 2011
Sherbrooke, Quebec Canada
Thanks for the link to the memory player. Seems interesting, but I must admit that I did not really understood what it is. Their WEB site is a real disaster...

Beside the interface on the Memory Player is so 1985!!! Lumin and Aurender have very nice interface. their web site (Memory player) is a joke!! very unprofessional with questionable technical explanation.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
That Memory Player is awful. About 3 years ago, I was demoing German Physik speakers at the distributor. They are also one of the principles behind the Memory Player. The interface looked primitive. While he sat there with a keyboard on his lap he had to refer to a monitor and had all kinds of problems. It took about 10 minutes to play each disc. Sound was nothing to write home about. We switched to a Bel Canto CD player and it was a big improvement.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Have you listened to The Memory Player or is this just another one of your meaningless comments?

I have no idea what the sound quality of The Memory Player is - but I do think their marketing claims (such as "64 Bit Audio Playback") are a joke, and don't make me want to try.

BTW- why don't you share with us the equipment you use in your audio system, if you have one.;-)

I don't think it matters, and I don't think people are that interested in what I have, but as you asked, my main system has a dedicated linux-based front-end with a Hypex DLCP digital crossover feeding 4 Hypex nC400's per channel actively driving modified Linn Isobariks. In my work space I have my second Linux desktop driving Genelec active monitors through a V-DAC. In the media room there is a Squeezebox Touch driving the Denon 5.1 system with Tannoy speakers and REL Stadium subwoofer. In the garage and workshop I have squeezeboxes driving "hand me down" amps and speakers, and out on the terrace there is a Rio Receiver running squeezebox emulation feeding waterproof outdoor speakers. All the music lives on a linux server with 4 x 3T hard disks in RAID/btrfs configuration. Oh, and the car stereo is one of the original empeg Mk II's, driving a 8-way system. I am sure I forgot something, but I guess you get an idea...

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
I have no idea what the sound quality of The Memory Player is - but I do think their marketing claims (such as "64 Bit Audio Playback") are a joke, and don't make me want to try. ..

Just as I expected, you've never listened to a Memory Player, but somehow you feel the need to make negative comments about it.

Guess it's not surprising for a "julf."

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Just as I expected, you've never listened to a Memory Player, but somehow you feel the need to make negative comments about it.

Yes, I do feel the rather absurd marketing claims deserve a comment. You might not. You might find them strangely appealing. If so, good for you, but please accept that all of us aren't quite as credulous.

Guess it's not surprising for a "julf."

Ah, so now it's about my name? Oh well, can't really change that...

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Yes, I do feel the rather absurd marketing claims deserve a comment. You might not. You might find them strangely appealing. If so, good for you, but please accept that all of us aren't quite as credulous.

Ah, so now it's about my name? Oh well, can't really change that...

Most of of us here on WBF don't make comments on or judge products they haven't heard.

Based on your comments, your name seems to fit you perfectly.

Last edited:

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Most of of us here on WBF don't make comments on or judge products they haven't heard.

I commented on a marketing claim - a claim I have seen. Do I need to hear the product to know that "64-bit audio" is BS?

Based on your comments, your name seems to fit you perfectly.

Glad you think so - despite you probably not even knowing what language it is in.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
AH so many choices... !

I am going to get an Audio server, that is for sure, but .... which one ? ? ?

Still hesitating between WEISS 301 DAC, WEISS 301 Without DAC, Aurender, LUMIN, even ARC REF DAC..... or waiting for the Total DAC-SERVER !

Any suggestion or help from someone who heard some of them ?

thanks in advance

Weiss 301 DAC now supports DSD file playback. The built is just so so but the software is smooth & user-friendly. The internal dac is a bit better than the DAC202. In summary, a good choice for rookie.

Aurender is equally good with even better built but needs an external DAC.

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
HELP : no WIRED access to my network from my listening place !

Well, Since I have no WIRED access to my network from my listening place (in other words, my wife will not allow for an Ethernet cable across the living-room :), I am quite interested in the AURENDER (local storage) and the LUMIN (that now allow for playing directly from a USB Drive/stick): With booth Music servers, I don't need ethernet access to a NAS !

But ...
- If the SERVER cannot be connected to my Network, how can I use the Ipad to control the Server and select the files to be played ?
- In the case of the LUMIN, is the playback from USB Drive/stick as good as when streaming the NAS through Ethernet ?

So... what is the solution for me ?

Thanks in advance
Bertrand

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
In order to use an iPad to control your server, you need the server and the iPad to be on the same wireless network. One way to do it is to create a separate network for your server + iPad. The other way is to connect your server to the home network.

If your wife won't let you run a wire to your server, you need to buy a wireless bridge that connects by wire to your server and then wirelessly to the home network. I generally recommend that you buy something compatible to your home network which usually means the same brand/same series.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
HELP : no WIRED access to my network from my listening place !

Well, Since I have no WIRED access to my network from my listening place (in other words, my wife will not allow for an Ethernet cable across the living-room :), I am quite interested in the AURENDER (local storage) and the LUMIN (that now allow for playing directly from a USB Drive/stick): With booth Music servers, I don't need ethernet access to a NAS !

But ...
- If the SERVER cannot be connected to my Network, how can I use the Ipad to control the Server and select the files to be played ?
- In the case of the LUMIN, is the playback from USB Drive/stick as good as when streaming the NAS through Ethernet ?

So... what is the solution for me ?

Thanks in advance
Bertrand

The Weiss MAN301 is equipped with wifi. Perfect for your case. Neat & tidy.
10761409515_c286f17dd1_o.jpg

On the other hand, Lumin price is lower and receives many praising reviews (Audiostream, computeraudiophiles.com...etc).
In HK, some audiophiles are itchy and have replaced its external psu with better ones and the result is very good.
1425450_771503006197124_1938971944_o.jpg
1394344_745167242164034_350366061_n.jpg

jussy1254

Feb 13, 2011
i have the man301 server and am absolutely delighted. it is stupidly simple to set us and use and works faultlessly
a real joy.......
AND it beats absolutely and cd player. a wonder

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing