Tone Audio: Neil Young Visits Meridian!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Neil Young visits Meridian!

http://www.meridian-audio.com/en/meridian-world/Neil_Young_Visit_to_Meridian_Audio/46/

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That is so cool! ...Neil and Bob together! :cool: ...Two big music lovers with a common orientation on MLP, and much more; 88kHz/24-bit (176kHz too), HDCD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio, LP albums, ... good natural sound quality. ...'Active power'.

Thx Andre for sharing.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ironic since Neal hates digital.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
That is so cool! ...Neil and Bob together! :cool: ...Two big music lovers with a common orientation on MLP, and much more; 88kHz/24-bit (176kHz too), HDCD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray Audio, LP albums, ... good natural sound quality. ...'Active power'.

Thx Andre for sharing.

You are welcome Bob!;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The bottom line is that Neal has long been on the record for hating RBCD and has spoken out on his feelings many times. Neal was one of the most vocal musician's who spoke out about the damage he thought digital did to recordings. So yeah, now he likes hi-rez digital.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The bottom line is that Neal has long been on the record for hating RBCD and has spoken out on his feelings many times. Neal was one of the most vocal musician's who spoke out about the damage he thought digital did to recordings. So yeah, now he likes hi-rez digital.

Interestingly though Neil was one of the early--and biggest from what I understand--investors in Pacific Microsonics and HDCD.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Interestingly though Neil was one of the early--and biggest from what I understand--investors in Pacific Microsonics and HDCD.

That is correct. And he maintains a full staff at Redwood Digital, where all his albums have been archived and mastered for decades.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Apr 20, 2010
So I guess Neal talks out of both sides of his mouth. You guys aren't disputing that Neal is on record as a digital hater are you?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
So I guess Neal talks out of both sides of his mouth. You guys aren't disputing that Neal is on record as a digital hater are you?

Yes, actually, you are correct NEIL does engage in double talk.

Neil Young in the 90s claimed that if the end product was digital (CD), it had to be digital from the get go. Many thought that was bizarre.
That was in the days of SPARS codes. He insisted his albums be "DDD".

I personally disagree, and if I was producing a record, I would record to multi track analog, mix to analog, and THEN archive to hi rez digital at the mastering stage. But alas, this ain't a perfect world.

He is far from a digital "hater". He was a fan of DVD-A, and now Blu Ray audio. But of course, he prefers analog, as I do.

He did "hate" badly mastered RBCD, as we ALL do.

I think many issues arise in that analog is confused with vinyl. I heard analog at Steve's house and there was not a turntable in sight.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I hope that we all know by now that analog doesn't mean exclusively vinyl. I stated before that Neal was on the record for hating RBCD.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
In your first post you said that NEIL hates "digital".

And my second post said: "The bottom line is that Neal has long been on the record for hating RBCD and has spoken out on his feelings many times. Neal was one of the most vocal musician's who spoke out about the damage he thought digital did to recordings. So yeah, now he likes hi-rez digital."

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
And my second post said: "The bottom line is that Neal has long been on the record for hating RBCD and has spoken out on his feelings many times. Neal was one of the most vocal musician's who spoke out about the damage he thought digital did to recordings. So yeah, now he likes hi-rez digital."

I'm a big fan of Neil Young. Seen him live a bunch of times, met him once. Love the the man.

He went on a rampage in 2012 against iTunes, mp3, and lossy downloads and said even the CD reflects a fraction of the quality of the master
recordings. Yet..he still offers no high resolution downloads of ANY of his albums. Although a few, like Fork In the Road, Greatest Hits, and two of the live archival live recordings offered 24 bit WAV files on a bonus DVD which I ripped to my server

Then he has the super expensive Blu Ray set. So until he decides to release his music in formats OTHER than CD for mass consumption, he better stop complaining.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
1. Neil, and not Neal. ;)

2. Neil never liked the standard (Red Book) CD; he prefers the old solid LP. :b

3. Neil is a technical audio explorer, and an avid golfer too.

4. Neil is a poet (acoustic; smooth one), and a rocker too (all hell loose electric and all that jazz with the 'Crazy Horse' band).

5. Neil needs constant recreation; artistically, and technically.

6. Neil prefers [HDCD] over plain jane CD. * CD is not digital, it is PCM. ;)

7. Neil was big on DVD-audio (MLP and at 176kHz/24-bit, or 192kHz). * Bob Stuart is happy with 88kHz/20-bit (he believes that it is sufficient).

8. Neil I believe is aroused by Blu-ray Audio.

9. Neil loves analog (LP), dislikes digital (PCM) CD, and espouses hi-res digital audio. * All his music is now archived in hi-res digital audio.

10. Neil is a real cool guy. :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I guess the person that wrote the article for Meridian isn't a car guy. Range Rover Vogue? :D :D :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Neil is very opinionated, not always consistent, and....I think the word is eccentric. And he is on record more than once confusing bad mastering to CD with CD. I think he's still confusing good mastering with hi-resolution, but we all know there are varying opinions on that one. Personally, I'd take a good, not even great, master at 16/44.1 over an average commercial master at any rate you've got. And I find that there are so few artists who are slack enough to allow their CD product to be ruined, yet aware enough to produce totally different masters for hi-res, that I haven't yet seen the point in installing a plug-in for iTunes that automatically switches to hi-res. YM, of course, MV.

P

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing