Who's using QSONIX or SOOLOS? Any other brands?

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Anyone have music servers from either of these two companies? They both launched new products recently which look to be considerably evolved from earlier units. What other music servers are people using?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I use the Qsonix and have for several years. I use digital output. Of all of the packaged music servers I've seen, I still prefer the user interface of the Qsonix. Sonically I can not compare it to anything other than my previous dCS stack and I don't feel I gave up much. My outboard DAC is the Benchmark. I upgraded the Qsonix to support the new hi-Rez music formats.

Music servers of whatever brand are the way to go!!!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Squuezebox Touch. What mods Kal?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
So does it work in asynchronous mode? Look forward to reading.

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Anyone attending the Ca Audio show may want to checkout the Meridian booth as I believe they will be showing their new Control 15 and ther Media Source 600 which has an ultra low jitter clocking system.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I heard the Meridian Sooloos music server today. I uploaded the the Liz Wright SALT CD. No audible difference between the CD and the server version.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Using the Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems.
Excellent sound & support has been first rate. Using the DAC in the Playback Designs MPS-5, Awesome!

Since I'm not a computer geek I wanted good support & sound. I listened to a couple of others but wasn't impressed with the sound.
As we know the digital based systems & computers are in a constant state of flux & improving, so others have come on line & I'm sure are improved.

Gary

Morbius

May 29, 2010
Using the Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems.
Excellent sound & support has been first rate. Using the DAC in the Playback Designs MPS-5, Awesome!

Since I'm not a computer geek I wanted good support & sound. I listened to a couple of others but wasn't impressed with the sound.
As we know the digital based systems & computers are in a constant state of flux & improving, so others have come on line & I'm sure are improved.

Gary,

The quality of the sound is going to be influenced primarily by the DAC. I've heard
OB's MPS-5 used as a DAC with the digital streaming coming from a little Acer
palm computer via an Emu interface and it sounded great.

Since one should always use an outboard DAC with a music server; one then
chooses the music server based on the search features, and not on sound.

The server only has to be able to deliver the bits to the DAC. If it has
a USB output, then one can use one of the "asynchronous mode" DACs
like Ayre, Wavelenght, and dCS; and get impressive sound.

With "asynchronous mode" DAC, the sound quality is really totally in
the control of the DAC. The DAC turns bits into sound, the only variable
is the timing aka "jitter". But with asynchronous mode, the DAC is
in control of that too.

Greg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing