Jonathan Valin the best audio writer, EVER.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
To DD or not to DD

All the world's a stage, and all the audiophiles are merely players. They have their exits and entrances, and one man in his time plays with (many) parts.
- Only audiophile and many are the words added.

Now is the winter of our discontent (no change required in this quote)

Audiophiles die many times before their deaths - word coward substituted for audiophiles.

Frailty, thy name is audiophile

I am the one who bought not wisely but too well - the word loved substituted for bought

We are such stuff as dreams are made on - this quote can be used by all audiophile toys

Lord, what fools these mortals be - can be said of all audiophiles

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown - Dedicated to Mike, from Shakespeare

We have seen better days - what every reviewer thinks, but cannot say

misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows - dedicated to all of us

:rolleyes:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Roy Gregory? Really? Writing every review as if it’s Shakespearean prose, although he’s no Shakespeare. His successor at HiFiPlus, Alan Sircom? If I read yet another tt review from him that recycles the generic phrase “it has the neutrality of the SME, the verve of DD, the timing of the LP12, blah blah”, I think I’ll sigh.
My fave reviewer is Wojech Pacula, he has an unerring talent for getting to the heart of how something sounds.

Agreed about Roy Gregory and his writing style...but Srajan at 6 moons makes Roy seem clear as day. Alan has, IMO, no clue about what sounds good or not. Wojeich seems to understand things well but I have a hard time taking the advice from a reviewer who uses Soulution amps with Harbeth speakers...just ain't a realistic sound to me... This makes his opinions of far less usefulness than they would seem on the surface.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
To DD or not to DD

All the world's a stage, and all the audiophiles are merely players. They have their exits and entrances, and one man in his time plays with (many) parts.
- Only audiophile and many are the words added.

Now is the winter of our discontent (no change required in this quote)

Audiophiles die many times before their deaths - word coward substituted for audiophiles.

Frailty, thy name is audiophile

I am the one who bought not wisely but too well - the word loved substituted for bought

We are such stuff as dreams are made on - this quote can be used by all audiophile toys

Lord, what fools these mortals be - can be said of all audiophiles

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown - Dedicated to Mike, from Shakespeare

We have seen better days - what every reviewer thinks, but cannot say

misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows - dedicated to all of us

A for effort but a F for plagarism :)!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agreed about Roy Gregory and his writing style...but Srajan at 6 moons makes Roy seem clear as day. Alan has, IMO, no clue about what sounds good or not. Wojeich seems to understand things well but I have a hard time taking the advice from a reviewer who uses Soulution amps with Harbeth speakers...just ain't a realistic sound to me... This makes his opinions of far less usefulness than they would seem on the surface.

Lol, solution with harbeth? Had no idea.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Lol, solution with harbeth? Had no idea.

Sounds like a very interesting combo to say the least. Could work out in a good way. The soulution 'technical' sound may balance out the harbeth's sweetness ?

Reactions: dan31

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
+1

My favorite Stereophile reviewer is Michael Fremer and my favorite TAS reviewer is Don Saltzman. I think they are both very intellectually honest and they write comparative reviews. I wish Robert Harley would go back to doing comparative reviews.
+1 on both your comments.
Maybe Dire Straits should do another version of Money For Nothing.
"Money for nothing and your cables for free......"

cfgardei1

Nov 8, 2022
Here's the best reviewer - absolutely incorruptible: YOURSELF.
Who cares what anyone else thinks? Do YOU like your system?? Yes? Then, GO WITH IT.
(I have speaker cables that - horrors! - cost less than a $1million. In fact: less than $100. NOBODY has accosted me saying, "your system would be great with unobtainium wiring: as it is it sucks" And, if they had or did, I would say "then don't listen to it")

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
He was one of the more consistent…
I read his latest Naim review in Stereophile. I was honestly hoping for better. Michael Trei, who has kinda taken Fremer’s place at Stereophile, has quickly established himself as an excellent, entertaining writer.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm going to back Harley on this one. Valin is superb.

Reactions: thomask

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Always find Valin an enjoyable read
Excellent writer of fiction.

I take his recommendations on sound quality with a large dose of salt as it generally aligns with what he can loan permanently until the next set of permanentl loans come along, and behold they are alway better.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Always find Valin an enjoyable read
Excellent writer of fiction.

I take his recommendations on sound quality with a large dose of salt as it generally aligns with what he can loan permanently until the next set of permanentl loans come along, and behold they are alway better.

I can tell you from working closely with Valin, that his sound opinions have integrity. He has refused to budge on several occasions from his honest take, even under severe pressure from advertisers. Robert Harley is the same way.

And if you read his writings, you will see he is not always swayed by the "latest and greatest."

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
He has refused to budge on several occasions from his honest take, even under severe pressure from advertisers.

So he is a hero basically , like a freedom fighter ,lol
So you re admitting he did budge on several other occasions :).

Im joking a bit , i m sure its a fine line reviewers need to thread , luckily i have 2 ears myself , i dont need reviewers ;)

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
So he is a hero basically , like a freedom fighter ,lol
So you re admitting he did budge on several other occasions :).

Im joking a bit , i m sure its a fine line reviewers need to thread , luckily i have 2 ears myself , i dont need reviewers ;)

Doubtful, I never saw him budge.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I like Robert Harley's writing and reviewing approach more than Valin, I guess he's being humble. My biggest beef (if it's a beef at all) with audio reviewers is that most wax poetically and get to the review 2 pages later. First world problems ;-)

Reactions: Kingsrule

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I like Robert Harley's writing and reviewing approach more than Valin, I guess he's being humble. My biggest beef (if it's a beef at all) with audio reviewers is that most wax poetically and get to the review 2 pages later. First world problems ;-)

In my experience, there are good reasons for this. A reviewer likes to tell a story. Editors love it when they do. Sometimes it concerns the history of the company or latest tech breakthrough, or a new technology that needs to be "set up" for understanding by laying down some context. Harley is really good at that. I stayed out of editorial decisions at TAS but I did convey my love of the sidebars that some of the reviewers did that did a deeper dive into the technology. The manufacturers like the sidebars too. Many of them are often very proud of what they have done.

At the end of the day, you can simply skip to the end of the review and work backwards if you are impatient.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
In my experience, there are good reasons for this. A reviewer likes to tell a story. Editors love it when they do. Sometimes it concerns the history of the company or latest tech breakthrough, or a new technology that needs to be "set up" for understanding by laying down some context. Harley is really good at that. I stayed out of editorial decisions at TAS but I did convey my love of the sidebars that some of the reviewers did that did a deeper dive into the technology. The manufacturers like the sidebars too. Many of them are often very proud of what they have done.

At the end of the day, you can simply skip to the end of the review and work backwards if you are impatient.
Mostly fair points but you forgot what's most important - what do customers want?

Reactions: Tangram

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
I like Robert Harley. In addition to his writing in TAS I also have his book and like it. I have never read many of Martin Collom's magazine reviews, but I have found his book, High Performance Loudspeakers very helpful in my forty year experience with designing and building my own speakers. I appreciate Robert Greene's reviews in TAS he often marches to the beat of a different drummer and doesn't telling mind about it.

Reactions: sbo6 and Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing