What are you using for Cables?

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I am interested to know what everyone is using for cables? I am using the following:

ICs --- JPS Superconductor 3

SCs--- JPS Superconductor 3

PCs --- Black Sands Silver MK-Vs

Power is delivered by two (2) dedicated 20 amp circuits.

I look forward to reading what cables everyone else is using.

Ken

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
I use Van den Hul cables.The carbon ones :First Ultimate as RCA and The Second as XLR.
Solid silver ones in the analog rig (tonearm,turntable to Phono stage).
To the speakers i use two runs of The Revelation for the bass and mids and another run of The Revolution for the tweeters.
Power cables are The Maistream BS to all the power amps and The Mainserver to all other preamps and sources.
From the wall to the two multiple power outlets i use a very thick Audioquest with extra screens and ferrite magnets 15 cm before it's end.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I tried the expensive stuff, but could tell no difference (and after paying what I did, I sure WANTED to hear a difference even if small). Sold ALL of it and bought BlueJeans. Well made, solid product.

Not saying that there is no difference, only that I believe, to may ears, all "well designed and well constructed" cables sound the same. Sure saves a lot of money!! I do, however, believe in Balanced Power so use BPT products for all source gear.

I also use ridiculously expensive power cords. Could tell no difference in them either but since they have very little resale value, I kept them all.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

In the rebuilding stage ... but a little before went the same way .. Audioguy did only I thought I heard differences .. several years late, when I challenged myself to a test , I wasn't able to tell my speaker cables which at one point where touted as the best from good copper Ga 10 cables .. I was going to keep the whole set forever, because they look good but they are under the rubbles now, So it shall be the thickest Gauge cables I can put my hands on for Speaker and good electrically competent Interconnects from Belden or Canare

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Click on Kimber's site scroll down the page and look at the connectors they use on their speaker cables....

http://www.kimber.com/products/loudspeakercables/

These are WBT connectors and IMO, they are beautiful. Really solid overkill engineering.

In my opinion, WBT makes the best connectors, hands down.

http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/bananas_spades.html

Kimber puts them on speaker cables costing up to $5,000 per pair.

You can get WBT connectors at Ram Electronics...

http://www.ramelectronics.net/manufacturers/wbt/wbt-0681cu/prodWBT00038.html

Or, Parts Express...

http://www.parts-express.com/wizard...fg&srchMfg=271&CFID=11508106&CFTOKEN=11058580

You can also get speaker cables made with Canare 4s11 -- same cable Blue Jeans uses, but with WBT connectors -- at Ram Electronics.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...ana-plugs-and-spade-lugs-hswsb/prodHSWSB.html

They can do bi-wire, banana, spades, whatever you want.

This is what I use. I have spades on the amplifier end and bi-wired locking Bananas on the speaker end.

I don't believe you need to use such expensive connectors, but what the heck -- they look gorgeous and IMO, that's the real benefit of expensive cables -- they look good.

My speaker cables cost about $200 for the pair.

Most people don't see the connectors because they're behind the amplifier and speakers, but I know they're there.

I guess I have sort of a perverse sense of humor. Aside from the fact that WBT connectors are incredibly well thought out and beautifully engineered, I just get a kick out of having the same connectors on my cables as a pair of cables costing $5,000+.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here's another tip:

No one has been able to knock off WBT spade connectors. I've tried a ton of spades and a lot of them are really annoying to use.

If you need spade connectors and the price is not prohibitive, I would go with WBT and would not look back -- they are simply the best out there.

If you cannot afford WBT Spade Connectors, IMO, a company called Atlona makes the second best....

http://www.worldofcables.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=18521

I use these in the home theater gear closet and these are also incredibly substantial, functional, well made, easy to use and good looking.

They are only around $7 per pair, so IMO, they are also a legit steal for the money.

Going further, there are a few companies who have knocked off WBT's locking banana connectors.

Blue Jeans offers these....

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

So does Ram Electronics...

http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/connectors/all-speaker-connectors/bgold/prodBGOLD.html

These, IMO, are also a legit steal for the price.

I've built speaker cables for friends using these and honestly, when I'm done and they are in place, I cannot tell the difference between these and WBT.

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've known a lot of people who have used Blue Jeans Speaker Cable and they are a safe, solid recommendation.

I've used Blue Jeans myself for different kinds of cables and doing business with them is always a pleasure -- they really get it.

I used Ram Electronics for speaker cables years ago and had a great experience with them, so I have always gone back -- and I love that they offer WBT Spades.

Their cables are always beautifully constructed and their customer service has been great.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong getting speaker cables from either company.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I'm a big fan of MIT cables. For my stereo mains I'm using Shotgun MA speaker and interconnects, which is their mid-tier line. All of my other analog interconnects are MIT's EXp1, which are thier lowest tier cable that still has multi-pole technology (3 poles to be exact!:cool:).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Main System Kubala-Sosna Emotion ICs and PCs (amps and pre), Shunyata Pythons everywhere else. Von Schweikert Master Built Signature SCs

HT All Purist Audio Design Museas, Shunyata Python PCs

Bedroom - VSA Masterbuilt Signature ICs, Verbatim Signature SCs, Shunyata Python PCs

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
ICs: MIT CVT Term 1 XLRs
Speaker cable: Verbatim biwires
PCs: Lessloss on cd/sacd player; DIY elsewhere

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
MIT Oracle MA-X speaker cables and interconnects.
Elrod Statement Silver and Statement Gold Power Cords. Soon to come, the insanely expensive Elrod Diamond Power Cord.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I am using Granite Audio cables for IC and Lat International for speaker cables. I just love the Lat speaker cables,really a bargain. Best cables I have tried for the money are the now I believe discontinued PS Audio Transcendent IC's

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Nordost Frey ICs and speaker cables from TT right through to speakers here. Stock AC cables for the time being (though I'm eyeing up Nordost Vishnu for AC).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
VALAB/King Cable speaker, interconnects and power cables all around.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing