Stands for the LS50 Speakers

Randy Bessinger

Jun 29, 2010
Mark

I have always listened at realistic levels especially with larger speakers. Having said that I won't turn up something that is meant to be played soft nor will I turn down something which is meant to be played loud
Post removed. I will leave it to others.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
FWIW, and probably not a lot but these speakers are the best speakers I have had in my house(s) FOR THE MONEY AND SIZE for 45 years. I was a very early adopter and said I stood by these things as being very special. Reviews seem to indicate that even an old 66 year old can sometimes identify a jewel.

I hate all of those qualifiers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Pretty much everyone who has reviewed these speakers or heard them has commented on how they sound way bigger than their size and that is with no subs, just the pair of LS50s. My listening room is not the size of a broom closet, but it's certainly not as cavernous as some people's rooms either. The LS50s will either put a smile on my face in my room or they won't. Remember, these speakers are only $1500. This is not like committing to spending $50,000 or higher on a pair of speakers and hoping you like them. If KEF truly takes them out of production as they said they would, I do think they will become collectable and could go up in value as so few audio products ever really do.

Mep,

I do not believe in speakers costing $1500 and manufactured by KEF becoming collector items and going up to a fortune in the future. These speakers are being sold in very large quantities (a minus to become collectable) and KEF is not know to be collectable. Something becomes collectable if the public wants it, and KEF is not a company known for promoting these type of feelings. See that they promote them as "An innovative concept inspired by the legendary LS3/5a". Happily they seem to be much more than that!

I have some experience in the field of collectable mini-monitors. Many years ago I bough a real collectable second hand - the pair no 1 and 2 of the famous B&W Silver Signature monitors SS25 with the slant supports. I was told great stories about them, I got them because they are exceptional monitors and I loved the way they sounded in my room. Also they looked great - the retro aspect of the tweeter top was praised by a few friends who were not easy to please. They were the reference speakers of John Atkinson for many years. I have to say that the day I decided to sell them I found they were not worth more than a normal used pair in similar condition.

Not many years ago I saw a mint boxed pair with the slant supports looking as new being sold in Germany for a nice price and could not resist. I still keep them, and a few times I have assembled a system for them. They still sound great as they did in the past. But as soon as I connect a decent full range speaker I remember the wise words of a friend - there are no miracles in high-end.

One of the aspects I have found in mini-monitors is that their performance depends a lot on the recording technique - they sound great with a few appropriate recordings, but lack substance with many others.

The good thing is that you own an amplifier known for making mini-monitors sound big - I have listened to LS3/5As driven by the KSA250 and it was impressive!

My post addresses only the collectable aspect - I have no experience at all with the LS50. I am reading the thread with great curiosity.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Mark

I have always listened at realistic levels especially with larger speakers. Having said that I won't turn up something that is meant to be played soft nor will I turn down something which is meant to be played loud

I'm with you 101% on this Steve. I know one reviewer who refuses to turn it up. BTW, I would love to hear the LS50s in my room as well, when I do the next change over I'll see if Kevin can bring them over.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
well, by all means I will remove my post. What an ass.

Randy-Please relax. My comment had nothing to do with you personally. I appreciated your comments. I was just making a general comment about some qualifiers that people have used when they praise the LS50s and yours were just the latest.

Randy Bessinger

Jun 29, 2010
Randy-Please relax. My comment had nothing to do with you personally. I appreciated your comments. I was just making a general comment about some qualifiers that people have used when they praise the LS50s and yours were just the latest.
It did NOT come off that way. Your post came off as demeaning because u questioned me with "qualifiers". Anybody who does not post qualifiers is well arrogant. I still ask Steve and Amir to get me off this forum.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
It did NOT come off that way. Your post came off as demeaning because u questioned me with "qualifiers". Anybody who does not post qualifiers is well arrogant. I still ask Steve and Amir to get me off this forum.

Randy,

Please reconsider. I did not take mep's response to your post negatively either. Everything has qualifiers. Based on your opinion and that of others I plan on ordering a set of the LS50 for myself. I have been pleasantly surprised on several occasions finding "jewels". The most recent was the Job 225 amp. I respect your opinion as well as that of everyone else. Don't leave.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Please Randy don't go! ...Mark didn't mean any harm at all. ...We all have our own language, and "with time" we all get used to it.
This site here (WBF) is much better than what it seems to look like sometimes. ...The content, the essence. ...And the experts.
...Plus the knowledge, from all the various members, and from everywhere in the world.
...And the intelligence level. ...Sometimes some people are quite direct (sometimes choice of words are not always the very best, or short sentences are not always constructed in a constructive manner), but always respectable; even when it seems to be the very exact opposite!
...And the good humor and camaraderie.

We need people like you here Randy. ...We need strong, experienced, and wise people, just like you.

Best cheers,
Bob

P.S. Oh and I forgot; the music recording exchanges. ...Or from new remastered 45rpm albums (180-200gr), or new multichannel SACDs, or new/old legacy 2-channel hi-fi stereo digital Pulse Code Modulation CDs. ...All that classical jazz, you know. :b

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mep,

I do not believe in speakers costing $1500 and manufactured by KEF becoming collector items and going up to a fortune in the future. These speakers are being sold in very large quantities (a minus to become collectable) and KEF is not know to be collectable. Something becomes collectable if the public wants it, and KEF is not a company known for promoting these type of feelings. See that they promote them as "An innovative concept inspired by the legendary LS3/5a". Happily they seem to be much more than that!

I have some experience in the field of collectable mini-monitors. Many years ago I bough a real collectable second hand - the pair no 1 and 2 of the famous B&W Silver Signature monitors SS25 with the slant supports. I was told great stories about them, I got them because they are exceptional monitors and I loved the way they sounded in my room. Also they looked great - the retro aspect of the tweeter top was praised by a few friends who were not easy to please. They were the reference speakers of John Atkinson for many years. I have to say that the day I decided to sell them I found they were not worth more than a normal used pair in similar condition.

Not many years ago I saw a mint boxed pair with the slant supports looking as new being sold in Germany for a nice price and could not resist. I still keep them, and a few times I have assembled a system for them. They still sound great as they did in the past. But as soon as I connect a decent full range speaker I remember the wise words of a friend - there are no miracles in high-end.

One of the aspects I have found in mini-monitors is that their performance depends a lot on the recording technique - they sound great with a few appropriate recordings, but lack substance with many others.

The good thing is that you own an amplifier known for making mini-monitors sound big - I have listened to LS3/5As driven by the KSA250 and it was impressive!

My post addresses only the collectable aspect - I have no experience at all with the LS50. I am reading the thread with great curiosity.

Fransisco-I didn't mean to insinuate that the prices for the LS50s would go through the roof as time marches on. I just meant they might increase in value if they achieve 'cult' status with all of the current buzz around them when they go out of production. And if the KSA-250 can't make these stand up in bark, I don't know what will. I'm fairly confident that the KSA-250 will bring out the best bass they have to offer, and according to the reviews/reports, people are surprised at how good that bass is.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Randy-Again, I meant no disrespect to you-trust me. Lots of people including JA has put qualifiers on these speakers. "Within their dynamic range, given their size, given their price" etc. You had high praise for the LS50s and you were an early adopter as you said. I certainly never meant to be "demeaning" to you. I was just making a general comment on people who love to praise these speakers but feel compelled to add qualifiers to their praise. And the bottom line is that maybe all of these qualifiers are necessary in order to put these speakers into perspective. Maybe they will only sound great in small rooms. Maybe the image size will be reduced compared to large floor standers. Maybe their SPLs are limited enough that you have to sit up close in a smaller room. Please know I meant no offense to you.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

Randy, you seem like a very nice man. I recently started a thread about buying an amplifier - a very important move for me - and received replies ranging from helpful hints and comments to somewhat (intellectually) insulting drivel uttered solely via the vehicle of ignorance. Such is life. Mark's comment wasn't personal. Please don't take it that way. All the best....

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I bought one of my JL F113 subs from Randy. I found him to be honest and trustworthy.

Randy, Mark is in the "blind buy" second-guessing trap (regardless of how it turns out) and any "qualifiers" merely cause trepidation. I didn't take his comment as personally-directed. Please stick around and contribute more. You bring a lot to the table.

Lee

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
A bit late to this thread which started out as a request for recommended stands for the LS50's, but my Kef dealer in Pennsylvania highly touted Skylan's 27 inch stands as being a marriage made in heaven for the LS50's. Has anyone tried them? If so what do you think?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think 27" stands are too low unless you have a chair that is really close to the ground or you are built really close to the ground.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
mep is correct. You need to get the tweeter driver at ear level when sitting in the listening chair. Measure your ear height from the ground when in the chair and order/buy accordingly. You will get conflicting info from some folks (including KEF) that the stands for the LS50 shouldn't be any higher than 24" in order have proper bass reinforcement for them. Unless you're about 4' 11"....this won't cut it. :D

A good solid stand will allow the speaker to really shine.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing