Stands for the LS50 Speakers

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Anyone have recommendations for stands to use with the LS50s? I also have a few questions about stands. Should the top plate be at least as big as the W and D of the speaker that is going to sit on it or do you want the top plate to actually be smaller? Also, when I sit in my chair, my ears are approximately 40" from the floor. The KEFs are just under 12" tall and the driver is in the middle of the cabinet. If I want the center of the driver (where the tweeter is) to be at ear height, that means I would need stands that are approximately 34" to work correctly?

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Anyone have recommendations for stands to use with the LS50s? I also have a few questions about stands. Should the top plate be at least as big as the W and D of the speaker that is going to sit on it or do you want the top plate to actually be smaller? Also, when I sit in my chair, my ears are approximately 40" from the floor. The KEFs are just under 12" tall and the driver is in the middle of the cabinet. If I want the center of the driver (where the tweeter is) to be at ear height, that means I would need stands that are approximately 34" to work correctly?

Definitely do a precise measurement to where your ear would be in relation to the driver.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I sent an email to Sound Anchors with my dimensions. We will see what they say.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I just went ahead and called Sound Anchors and ordered a custom made pair of stands for the LS50. They are their best stands which are the 4 post stands. The bummer is that it takes 3 weeks for them to build and ship with their current backlog. I have some crappy stands I could use in the meantime which may lead to negative impressions of the speakers that are unfounded and unfair.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Definitely do a precise measurement to where your ear would be in relation to the driver.

Sound Anchors strongly recommended I go with a 30" stand due to the vertical dispersion of the LS50. Most people are using 26" with the LS50s. I took his advice and I'm going with the 30" stands.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Sound Anchors strongly recommended I go with a 30" stand due to the vertical dispersion of the LS50. Most people are using 26" with the LS50s. I took his advice and I'm going with the 30" stands.

That sounds about right. I bought SA's for my Harbeth Compact 7Es3 and could not be happier. Alan Shaw strongly
recommends that your ear fall between the woofer and tweeter, and 26", 3 posts, did the trick.

We will all be curious about your findings!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That sounds about right. I bought SA's for my Harbeth Compact 7Es3 and could not be happier. Alan Shaw strongly
recommends that your ear fall between the woofer and tweeter, and 26", 3 posts, did the trick.

We will all be curious about your findings!

Good or bad, I will give you the truth according to how I hear it. I'm hoping for great things and satisfying SPLs without distortion. One of things that I love about my current speakers is that your ears would cry "Uncle" before the speakers ever did. In the past, I have never had a problem figuring out where the spot is on the volume control where either the amp and/or the speakers were giving up the ghost so to speak. Not so with the Def Tech BP7000SC speakers-or at least I can't find that spot on the volume dial. Based on the reviews I have read, the LS50s have a point they can't be pushed beyond without them losing their magic. I just hope that spot isn't within my normal listening level and they fill my room with the SPLs I'm used to hearing but hopefully sound even better. JTinn thinks his MMMicroOne speakers beat out the Q1 speakers when the MMMicroOnes sold for $2500 per pair including stands. Maybe it isn't a stretch to think the $1500 LS50s can kick ass on a pair of $5400 speakers.

I am beginning to think that large, heavy speaker enclosures are at a disadvantage compared to well designed small enclosures in terms of energy storage and energy release that will add to the sound in a negative way. Up to the point where you push the LS50s into trouble land, they should have less cabinet distortion than a large and heavy speaker (I think). I don't think there will be much of a mental conflict with these speakers with regards to what I think of them.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Lee-That's a good point as well. The KSA will be loafing with the LS50 speakers and they will wring out the best bass these speakers can reproduce. Regardless of the specs, people seem to be amazed by the bass quality of the LS50s. I will use my pair of the Def Tech subs that have a 14" driver (and a pair of 14" passive radiators) driven by their 1800 watt amps so bass shouldn't be an issue, but we will see.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Good or bad, I will give you the truth according to how I hear it. I'm hoping for great things and satisfying SPLs without distortion. One of things that I love about my current speakers is that your ears would cry "Uncle" before the speakers ever did. In the past, I have never had a problem figuring out where the spot is on the volume control where either the amp and/or the speakers were giving up the ghost so to speak. Not so with the Def Tech BP7000SC speakers-or at least I can't find that spot on the volume dial. Based on the reviews I have read, the LS50s have a point they can't be pushed beyond without them losing their magic. I just hope that spot isn't within my normal listening level and they fill my room with the SPLs I'm used to hearing but hopefully sound even better. JTinn thinks his MMMicroOne speakers beat out the Q1 speakers when the MMMicroOnes sold for $2500 per pair including stands. Maybe it isn't a stretch to think the $1500 LS50s can kick ass on a pair of $5400 speakers.

I am beginning to think that large, heavy speaker enclosures are at a disadvantage compared to well designed small enclosures in terms of energy storage and energy release that will add to the sound in a negative way. Up to the point where you push the LS50s into trouble land, they should have less cabinet distortion than a large and heavy speaker (I think). I don't think there will be much of a mental conflict with these speakers with regards to what I think of them.

I'm just worried that you with all the praise that has been heaped on them from members who have heard them may
have built them up to the point that they can't be anything but a let down.

I believe ALL monitors are a let down unless they are used in the right sized room, with appropriate expectations
of bass, over all loudness, and scale.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That's an interesting point, Andre.The type of music that one is going to play through a particular speaker has a BIG determinant as to how one perceives a speaker's performance. Particularly true, IMO, when it comes to the monitor or smaller speaker. As an example, play Black Sabbath through small speaker's like KEF LS50's and I doubt the music would have the same impact as through a pair of Yamaha 1000's, or big JBL's. Would this lead one to thinking that this speaker is lacking in some way? Possibly.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
That's an interesting point, Andre.The type of music that one is going to play through a particular speaker has a BIG determinant as to how one perceives a speaker's performance. Particularly true, IMO, when it comes to the monitor or smaller speaker. As an example, play Black Sabbath through small speaker's like KEF LS50's and I doubt the music would have the same impact as through a pair of Yamaha 1000's, or big JBL's. Would this lead one to thinking that this speaker is lacking in some way? Possibly.

Spot on Davey. Funny you mention it. I am evaluating a pair of M.A.D. 1920S speakers now. It sounds great, but after
a few hours of Jane's Addiction or Velvet Revolver you realize the limitations. Nothing against the speaker, it is just physics.

I must say the KEFs seem to have larger threshold where you can push them before you realize the reduced scale.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Mark,

Please remind us of the room dimensions. It seems like that has become a pivotal piece of info for the discussion. Personally, I applaud you for having the "cajones" to give the KEFs a shot. They may do some things so much better than your DefTechs that their shortcomings aren't so significant.

Lee

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
No Bob, not the point. It is physics. You can't expect life like scale and weight from ANY monitor.

In a small room, you can suspend disbelief.

Bob, sorry on this one I'm with Andre. A small monitor has to have a sub to assist with the bottom end....no getting around that, IMHO. Otherwise, scale and weight are MIA.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a feeling the LS50s can project a pretty big stage. With subs, I doubt low bass will be a problem. Personally my worry would be the mid-bass. I've yet to come across a small speaker that didn't need an assist here. That driver is going to be asked to do a lot of work down to its mechanical roll-off. I've also yet to come across a subwoofer that integrates well at such high required XOs.

I agree with Lee, however. It just may do things the DTs can't do and the trade off may be worth it.

Don't forget to move your chair if you have to Mark! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing