Would the KEF LS50 Speakers Be a Let Down?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I pulled the trigger and bought a pair straight from KEF. They should ship today according to an email I received. I really don't think I can lose (much) on these speakers if I decide they don't cut it in my room. In fact, if they do go out of production soon, I think the value could actually increase over time.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I pulled the trigger and bought a pair straight from KEF. They should ship today according to an email I received. I really don't think I can lose (much) on these speakers if I decide they don't cut it in my room. In fact, if they do go out of production soon, I think the value could actually increase over time.

Big congrats! I'd love to hear a pair in my room, as well.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

Congratulations!

Was the price $1500 as advertised?

http://www.kefdirect.com/review/product/list/id/187/

mep

Apr 20, 2010
$1499.99 with free shipping. I just ordered some custom made stands from Sound Anchor.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm either going to be really happy or really not so happy. I just don't want to feel let down in any way from what I have now. Of course, I'm not selling my current speakers so if I'm not happy, my other speakers will be here to reconnect. I do think there is something very special about the design of these speakers and this is a case where the positive comments/reviews/show opinions are backed up by measurements. The Sound Anchor stands should let these little guys sing by providing a firm foundation for them to sit on. It's kind of ironic that the stands cost over 50% more than the speakers. But to put that into perspective, Carl had his Nola KO speakers which cost $10K hooked up with $40K of Nordost speaker cables when I listened to them at RMAF 2012 (and I still think those are special speakers).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
so these and a Job amp are the new bargain of the century ?

Could be Christian. Right now, I really haven't heard either of them. I did walk in on a room that had the KEF LS50 speakers at RMAF 2012, but the sales reps were more interested in talking to each other than playing the damn speakers. There seems to be a certain buzz building around the Job amp right now that I think is partially based on the fact it is somehow connected to Goldmund and how good it sounds mixed with the cheap price. The 210 watts into 8 ohms sounds really good for the price, but the fact it appears the power actually decreases as the impedance drops scares me more than a little. The amp only weighs about 15 lbs which tells you a lot about the power supply for a non-Class D amp. The power transformer in my KSA-250 weighs 83 lbs for comparison sake, but that is why it can keep doubling down the power as the impedance is cut in half.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats. I did get to hear these at RMAF and was VERY impressed. I've been thinking about them every since (I also love how they look).

I look forward to your impressions once you get them.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Congrats. I did get to hear these at RMAF and was VERY impressed. I've been thinking about them every since (I also love how they look).

I look forward to your impressions once you get them.

I'm glad to hear another positive response from someone who has heard the LS50s. I too love how they look. Something is just *right* about how they look. The fact you say you are still thinking about them means they left a lasting impression. I'm trying to let go of my prejudices and open up to the possibility that they could possibly be much better than what I have now even though they are much less expensive.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Keven Olson has them under review and really likes them. I've heard them many times and think they may be the best product KEF has ever produced. Did you watch this?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Peter-Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen that before. The damn things sounded great even through the audio limitations of the video. I wonder what stands those were and how tall they were?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Keven Olson has them under review and really likes them. I've heard them many times and think they may be the best product KEF has ever produced.

imo, the 107/2 was the best speaker kef ever produced...in fact, anything by laurie fincham the guy walked on water. same goes for peter walker, spencer hughes, andrew jones, lawrence dickie, stuart tyler, alan shaw, et al. there must be something in the water over in the UK :D

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I listened to most speakers at Newport but when you here the price tag you are
not as excited anymore. When I heard the Ls-50's and already knew the price I was
blown away. If I was just getting started with audio today I would build a system around these speakers and get a rel sub. For 10k which would Include speakers, a sub, Intergrated amp and a DAC you would have a system that would rival most 50k systems at the show. I have so much Invested in my system at this point I don't want to start over again. For anyone looking for their first high-end system this is where you want to be. It is so good you might never have to upgrade. I know it's hard to believe but it is that good.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I listened to most speakers at Newport but when you here the price tag you are
not as excited anymore. When I heard the Ls-50's and already knew the price I was
blown away. If I was just getting started with audio today I would build a system around these speakers and get a rel sub. For 10k which would Include speakers, a sub, Intergrated amp and a DAC you would have a system that would rival most 50k systems at the show. I have so much Invested in my system at this point I don't want to start over again. For anyone looking for their first high-end system this is where you want to be. It is so good you might never have to upgrade. I know it's hard to believe but it is that good.

Ordered a pair sight unseen .. no listen no nothing ... Will let you know .. Electronics could be Burmester :D

P.S Why don't we merge the LS 50 and Stands for LS 50 threads?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Frantz. If you like them too, I might as well order a pair for myself.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Congratulations Frantz. If you like them too, I might as well order a pair for myself.

Joe

I haven't heard them ...yet... I have a Living Room which is too small for the speakers I had in mind (Magnepan 3.7) ... I have been listening music through headphones for too long albeit high quality headphones whose numbers keep on increasing :) I have now 5 pairs ... Too many people here and friends of mine are on my case to just get back to speakers rather than waiting for the perfect speaker in the perfect room ( my tendencies )... And the price is right ... At worse .. I would resell them if I truly hate them .. They will be used with subs

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Joe

I haven't heard them ...yet... I have a Living Room which is too small for the speakers I had in mind (Magnepan 3.7) ... I have been listening music through headphones for too long albeit high quality headphones whose numbers keep on increasing :) I have now 5 pairs ... Too many people here and friends of mine are on my case to just get back to speakers rather than waiting for the perfect speaker in the perfect room ( my tendencies )... And the price is right ... At worse .. I would resell them if I truly hate them .. They will be used with subs

Frantz

Make sure you wear Depens when you listen because you might need them because they are that good. I bet Mark will love his.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing