What is new in my music library? (recent purchases I enjoy)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gerry muligan meets Ben Webster is my favourite collaboration album of his, they were friends and often practiced together. It shows in the music.

Also try 'Gerry mulligan and the concert jazz band at the village vanguard, .. Very good Imo.
Great. Thanks a bunch. Wish I was smart and educated enough to understand the insight you have into their playing style. For now, I hope you don't mind guiding a blind buyer like me :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Purchases prompted by Audiocrack (see http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?19392-Challenge-Classics), I picked up a few albums that are easily some of the best recordings I have...

Bach: Weihnachtsoratorium (Download)

Johann Sebastian Bach – Weihnachtsoratorium
La Petite Bande
Sigiswald Kuijken
Challenge Classics

Quality
DSD256 DSD128 DSD64 352.8 kHz / 24 bit 192 kHz / 24 bit 96 kHz / 24 bit 44.1 kHz / 24 bit
Channels
Stereo 5.1 Surround Combi

I bought the 192 Khz.

http://spiritofturtle.com/shop/bach-weihnachtsoratorium-download/

It is on sale now.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Think.....It's All Good (Download)

Dean Peer | Ty Burhoe | Howard Levy | Steve Trishmen
Turtle Records

Quality
DSD64 352.8 kHz / 24 bit 192 kHz / 24 bit 96 kHz / 24 bit 44.1 kHz / 24 bit
Channels
Stereo

This album is beyond hifidelity. The dutch recording engineers have mastered the art of creating truly exceptional recordings with warmth, ambiance, and resolution to die for. To paraphrase a line from Gary Koh, the fidelity will make you cry!

http://spiritofturtle.com/shop/think-its-all-good-download/

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Forbidden Fruit (Download)

Forbidden Fruit
Toïs
Turtle Records

Quality
DSD64 96 kHz / 24 bit 44.1 kHz / 24 bit
Channels
Stereo

http://spiritofturtle.com/shop/forbidden-fruit-download/

The dynamic range and clarity of the horn around 2:00 in track one will send you to the moon! And those drums in the background. Man, what sense of space around them and clarity when they go deep. The soundstage is deep and wide. Turn up the volume past 11 and at the end of the track you will be in nirvana!!! :D

And that is just track 1. The rest follow with thundering dynamic range and clarity that is out of this world. I don't have any other Jazz recordings that can touch this.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Is there a coupon for the turtle site? I could really use a discount here, that place is bleeding me dry :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is there a coupon for the turtle site? I could really use a discount here, that place is bleeding me dry :)
Yes. There is a christmas coupon that flashes as soon as you get there. Sadly I did not see it and paid the full price other than Bach title which was on sale.

OK, i just looked it up and it is "hohoho" It is good for 10%.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing