Tad Cr1

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
View attachment 10167
Hello all.
I had been listening various combos with the Tad Cr1. Here we go.
First of all was my Dartzeel Cth 8550. I really love this amp. Is the kind of amplifier you know is something special. And sounds like that. When i put it with the Tads the pleasure was there. Really brilliant in reproduction of mids. The magic was there. But as you know, the tads are difficult to move and put the Dart in its place. There's no enough power. The treble and the bass was not controled.
Then i put the 8550 like pre and a nhb-108. There was more control, not enough, but less coherence. The same unbalanced of treble/bass. It was a very disapointing situation to me. I know i can listen the Dart sound in this incredible speakers.
Yesterday i was called for a demo with the Tad C2000+M2500. I was really conviced that this amplification, made ex profeso for the Tads, would reveal the potencial of Tads Cr1. But not. All were in its place. Highs, mids and bass sounds like they are. Any lack of anything but lacks of the most important. Music. The music wasn't there. Was like a teacher who imparts his lesson magistraly but not transmitted the sense of his knowledge. The Tads sounds incredible correct but like they were in the typical examination that put you nervous and dont let you relax.
At this point, what to do? It was another amp in the room that didn't was a priori in the selected list.
At this point, what to lose? We put it with the C2000 as preamp. push play and......woooow. Couldn't believe. The Tads become to life. Less analitical, more open, the scene was liberated. The Tads were happy with it. So happy that they put another bass driver below the real one. Like a present !!! They played under 32 Hz with easy. They sounded more like a floorspeaker than a monitor. The best surprise for me was that amplifier was the Classé Audio Ca-2300 !!! It was less perfect but more more more real. I don't understand the Tads. They are the most unpredictable speakers i have listened. If you listen Wilson, B&W, Sonus Faber, etc.... they always sound in its way. You can listen some changes with differents electronics but the philosophy of the brand is always in.
Then i read another time the review of JA in Sterophile of the Tads and: Whats the amplifier used? The Classé Cam-600 !!!
My budget is smiling !!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! and welcome to WBF. A great story. I auditioned another system yesterday with the same digital. Do you have access to HRS damping plates or Artesania damping plates? I liked them on top of your player. Personal preference. Concentrated the sound a bit more imho. Seems like it may also carry you further on the path you appear to be seeking based on your description. Enjoy! Great, great system. I have heard the Tad Ref Ones with all-TAD electronics and agree with your description. Again, enjoy!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations Stereophonic!

I have friends urging me to try Classe gear on my TAD CR-1's. Maybe I should listen to them. I do love my Dartzeel 18NS/108 and Dagostino Momentum amps but it could not hurt to try the Classe amps. I am happy for you.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Are the bi-wireable?
Might try two 108s on them first, Joe :)

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Alexandre,

Yes, they are bi-wireable. I don't feel I need more power. My 108, for me, has enough power. I guess I am looking for some different flavors.

Are the bi-wireable?
Might try two 108s on them first, Joe :)

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Stereophonic,

Are you using the Classe CP-800 preamp with the Classe amp?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
First i did listen the Tad preamp. After i did change it to the CP-800.

I can not tell you how happy I am for you. I was told about how good Classe gear is and I kept resisting. Now I need to try it for myself.

Are you considering the CA-M600 monoblocks?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The more I learn about TAD and DartZeel, the more both climb up in my uograde options list. Thanks for posting and welcome.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Flez,

I think there are many of us very happy with TAD/Dartzeel. It's a great combo.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Whithout doubt. I'm a die fan of Dartzeel. I did listen magic in the Tads with Dart that not were present anyone else electronic.
I'm considering the Classé Cam-600 until the new incoming Dartzeel gear arrives.
I read there are a new integrated-dac and a 200w amp in the way.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the great post Stereophonic. How did you like the all Classe combo? Did you prefer the 2300 with the Dart or the CP800?

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Obviously the Tad is better preamp. But the Classe costs 1/4 and makes its function at near level.
To be concret. Tad electronics are not for me. Classé makes me listen the Tads at a high level until mister Herve Deletraz show us his next step.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Stereophonic,

If you're set on the TADs, look into a bi-amped darTZeel solution. 18ns pre and two 108s. That'll provide enough juice, and you can upgrade in the future, maybe even selling one of the 108s later on.

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The Dartzeel preamp makes this super easy with the Zeel 50 ohm BNC connections. It sounds so much better than the RCA or XLR connections.

Stereophonic,

If you're set on the TADs, look into a bi-amped darTZeel solution. 18ns pre and two 108s. That'll provide enough juice, and you can upgrade in the future, maybe even selling one of the 108s later on.

alexandre

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi stereophonic and welcome to the forum. Yes the room sounds familiar... I think Stereophonic and I share same dealer.

What can I say. I run the R1s with the big classe Omega mono amps. As I have writen here before, they are the besst combo I could find for TAD regardless of price. I tried the Omegas with the Evolution One and the CR1 as well. They were magical with the CR1 too. As said, I liked better the CR1s with Classe Omegas than other much more costly combinations like Magico Q5s and boulder or SF Aidas and Momentum, wilson maxx and Audio research... Amd others.

Very familiar with Classe family so I am not surprised the CAM 600s do a great job. The one speaker that would do magic also would be the smalle Omega Omnicroms. Fantastic amps. I know they used to have a pair. If theynare still around try it... It is a shame classe no longer makes the Omega. For me, omaga class amps were something else.

Regarding preamps, I do have a CP 700 unit, but I do not use it. Actauly never heard it with TAD so can not give my opinion. I use the Audio research 40 anniversary preamp. ARC preamps and omega amps get together very very well. If they have a ref 5 around try it with classe cam 600.

TAD CR1 are very special speaker. Very transparent so they show every little cahnge big time. Sometimes to very unexpected extends. So experiment cos when you hit the right key the magic is there to reward you. It is incredible all the music and the punch these "small".... boxes can show.

Then there are cables. They too make a big difference. But that is only the next step an a different history.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing