Magico Q3- Impressive listen

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Hi Peter,,

What about the latest ML Summit X, maybe the latest ML models will provide whatever you feel is lacking with your Odyssey.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Why do people feel the need to try and talk Peter into buying speakers other than the ones he wants?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Peter,,

What about the latest ML Summit X, maybe the latest ML models will provide whatever you feel is lacking with your Odyssey.

Yeah I addressed that a few posts up thread

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Why do people feel the need to try and talk Peter into buying speakers other than the ones he wants?

Because Magico is the speaker everybody loves to hate, and it's OK to poo-poo on them
:)

alexandre

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Why do you feel the need to ask?

Because it's an obvious question. I have read too many posts from people seeking opinions about some piece of gear they are contemplating purchasing and what people respond back with sometimes isn't evenly remotely associated with the question they asked. For example, someone is contemplating buying a 100 watt SS integrated amplifier made by the Happy Ending corporation. They have listened to the amp numerous times and think it might really be great in their system. So they start a thread and say they are contemplating buying the 100 watt Happy Ending SS integrated amp based on their listening impressions and ask if anyone else has experience with it. Instead of people responding back that have heard the 100 watt Happy Ending SS integrated amp and giving their opinions, they get a bunch of people responding that have never heard the Happy Endings SS integrated amp who want to steer the poor guy to a 20 watt tube amp made by the Antique Flea-Watt Tube company.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Because Magico is the speaker everybody loves to hate, and it's OK to poo-poo on them
:)

alexandre

Not any more than Wilsons. This is the price you have to pay for beeing as big as they are.

I personally love Magicos. And Wilsons for that matter.

JackX

Nov 22, 2010
Oslo, Norway
Hi all.

Guess this is the "official" Q3 thread, so I'll just pop a few URLs here depicting my all-out new Ypsilon & Q3 setup.

I took delivery just a few weeks ago, speakers (and Ypsilon as well) still being burning-in; guess they've got roughly 100 hours on their back. Perps having had their spkrs for quite some time tells me "magic happens when passing the +300 hour mark". Just can't wait, 300 hours seems an awful long time to "wait" (hey, the Q3s already a great listen!) - what can possible better what my ears now gets to hear :)

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/vennetra-der-hifimerker/66482-magico-51.html#post1885162

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/vennetra-der-hifimerker/63350-ypsilons-venner-2.html#post1886517

Cheers!

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
Hi all.

Guess this is the "official" Q3 thread, so I'll just pop a few URLs here depicting my all-out new Ypsilon & Q3 setup.

I took delivery just a few weeks ago, speakers (and Ypsilon as well) still being burning-in; guess they've got roughly 100 hours on their back. Perps having had their spkrs for quite some time tells me "magic happens when passing the +300 hour mark". Just can't wait, 300 hours seems an awful long time to "wait" (hey, the Q3s already a great listen!) - what can possible better what my ears now gets to hear :)

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/vennetra-der-hifimerker/66482-magico-51.html#post1885162

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/vennetra-der-hifimerker/63350-ypsilons-venner-2.html#post1886517

Cheers!

Congrats! Great looking system. Bet it sounds pretty good, too.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The man knows his high end! Well done, and I see you also got a personal visit from Mr. Baklavas. I think the Ypsilon are just about as perfect as it gets with tubes nowadays. Be sure to post your impressions at length - a few of us here are just smitten with the Q3.

JackX

Nov 22, 2010
Oslo, Norway

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
Just marvelous. But then I should know ;) - we're being friends :D

Hi JackX
I love your system, it is marvelous :)

Espen

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The man knows his high end! Well done, and I see you also got a personal visit from Mr. Baklavas. I think the Ypsilon are just about as perfect as it gets with tubes nowadays. Be sure to post your impressions at length - a few of us here are just smitten with the Q3.

Count me as being one of those.

Congratulations. They look great and must sound fantastic. Please let us know what you think and what speakers they replaced.

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway

Last edited:

JackX

Nov 22, 2010
Oslo, Norway
Count me as being one of those.

Congratulations. They look great and must sound fantastic. Please let us know what you think and what speakers they replaced.

Way too early to give any meaningful response as to what they really have as a potential. However, in my totally non-acoustically treated room, but with the upstream products I've got, Demetris of Ypsilon was impressed with what he heard. He knows his own products (and their sound character), and said the Q3 (as with other Magico products per se) was a match made in heaven with the Ypsilons. (Ok, with a grain of salt - he's producing & selling it, dude :) )

But with my more than 40 years in the hi end world of music, this is - as far as I can afford - what I'm striving for.

What I used to have? I had (more than) an all out Krell Home Theater. Transducers were that of LAT1, LAT2, LAT-C, MRS
EVO 600 & 403, EVO 707, Krell cd. The works.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard Ypsilon Ref monos and YG Acoustics Anat RefII and Boulder pre/digital, and I was quite impressed by the match...instinctively I feel like I might prefer Ypsilon with Magico, but that is purely conjecture/instinct only.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing