Vicoustic: a new option for acoustic treatment - particularly diffusors.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I ended up placing the Multifusor 64 on a very absorptive wall. I felt it made a slight improvement in imaging/placement.

Vicoustic is one of the companies that actually have acoustic measurements posted on their website.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thank you for the update. The spec sheet they gave to me after modeling my room stated that imaging is improved. Hopefully this time next Friday I will have everything in place.

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
IMG_0726.jpg

Here is their Wood MultiFusor 64 on the rear portion of a studio I designed (completed late Spring of '14). There is a RGB led tape light bordering the "cove" that's creating the green glow. On thing about this product...some good builder knowledge is needed for ceiling application.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Jeff Hedback; [B said:
Here is their Wood MultiFusor 64 on the rear portion of a studio I designed (completed late Spring of '14). There is a RGB led tape light bordering the "cove" that's creating the green glow. On thing about this product...some good builder knowledge is needed for ceiling application.[/B]

So what are you saying? The panels may fall off? The material, the glue used, the existing ceiling construction? Or is it just know what you are doing? The reason I ask is my installation by my dealer will be next week. He already mentioned that along with the laser sighting, a significant amount of "blue tape" and glue will be used.

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
In my application, we pre-assembled all the individual segments of the MultiFusor 64 together (to one another) and to a backing substrate (Advantech ply) with lots of proper fasteners and adhesives. Then mounted that completed assembly to that ceiling. I'm not sure I would trust a ceiling mount application with a lesser process. Hope that helps.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
So what are you saying? The panels may fall off? The material, the glue used, the existing ceiling construction? Or is it just know what you are doing? The reason I ask is my installation by my dealer will be next week. He already mentioned that along with the laser sighting, a significant amount of "blue tape" and glue will be used.

These things are heavy! One 2'x2' panel is about 30lbs. It doesn't take many to have hundreds of pounds.... especially over your head. 2 of my diffusor blocks came unglued from the backing that they are mounted on!! Good thing it wasn't mounted to the ceiling! OUCH!! :eek:

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
These things are heavy! One 2'x2' panel is about 30lbs. It doesn't take many to have hundreds of pounds.... especially over your head. 2 of my diffusor blocks came unglued from the backing that they are mounted on!! Good thing it wasn't mounted to the ceiling! OUCH!! :eek:

That's my biggest concern. It will definitely be addressed when mounted. He ordered lots of glue tubes. I had asked about using the heavy duty Scotch tape along with the glue.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
That's my biggest concern. It will definitely be addressed when mounted. He ordered lots of glue tubes. I had asked about using the heavy duty Scotch tape along with the glue.

Here would be my suggestion if at all possible. Drill holes almost through the corner blocks and screw them into a joist or something solid. You can always patch the holes with wood putty. That's what I would do if I were placing these on the ceiling. I wouldn't trust any kind of glue. These have (or at least mine have) a slight bend and would not lay completely flat. Looks like they're just mounted (glued) to a piece of 1/8" plywood!
I had no way of mounting them to the wall, so I had to mount them to a sheet of 1/2" plywood with the supplied clips and hang it from the ceiling.

IMG_1096.JPG

Last edited:

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Thank you Bruce. That point will be taken into account for sure. I should have stated I am using six multifuser DC2 panels in foam instead of the wood versions along with the cinema round for the ceiling as that is my largest area of concern. I have 29 cinema rounds for the whole room along with six wavewood, nine super bass extreme, three super extreme stacker base, six extreme stacker level, and 8 tubes of glue ordered. The typical project to make my room finally sound better! ;)

Here's a computer model of what the finished room will look like.

Attachments

• Computer model of room finished.jpg
    Computer model of room finished.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thank you Bruce. That point will be taken into account for sure. I should have stated I am using six multifusers DC2 panels in foam instead of the wood versions

Here's a computer model of what the finished room will look like.

Well that does change things a bit. I don't think I'd put the wood diffusors on the ceiling without regard to careful planning.

Great looking setup and can't wait to see the finished product!

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Ya make sure you secure them well - I was at a guys place recently and a whole sheet just dropped from his ceiling and as it was coming down glided like a kite almost landing on his gear and also hitting his brand new speakers. :eek:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

Attached DC2 to my ceiling . Glued it as well as air nailed it . I don't thk its very secure with only glue . Seen it detached many times & for those of us who are into vinyl , good luck to your catridge & tonearm

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Ya make sure you secure them well - I was at a guys place recently and a whole sheet just dropped from his ceiling and as it was coming down glided like a kite almost landing on his gear and also hitting his brand new speakers. :eek:

That would definitely cause one's heart to suddenly have a run of tachycardia. Thanks, I told them today about the concern when installed next week. I'm wondering if it might be a bad batch of adhesive? That or not enough glue used. Perhaps that's why he ordered eight tubes to use. The ceiling is plaster, not easy to put nails through it. I still think it might be the adhesive used. I think with glue and Scotch 20 lb tape it should stick to the ceiling.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
That would definitely cause one's heart to suddenly have a run of tachycardia. Thaunks, I told them today about the concern when installed next week. I'm wondering if it might be a bad batch of adhesive? That or not enough glue used. Perhaps that's why he ordered eight tubes to use. The ceiling is plaster, not easy to put nails through it. I still think it might be the adhesive used. I think with glue and Scotch 20 lb tape it should stick to the ceiling.

I thought Vicoustic had their own specialty glue that they use.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
That would definitely cause one's heart to suddenly have a run of tachycardia. Thanks, I told them today about the concern when installed next week. I'm wondering if it might be a bad batch of adhesive? That or not enough glue used. Perhaps that's why he ordered eight tubes to use. The ceiling is plaster, not easy to put nails through it. I still think it might be the adhesive used. I think with glue and Scotch 20 lb tape it should stick to the ceiling.

Not to freak you out but no way would I rely on any type of adhesive solely for ceiling installation - just not worth it. They were up for six months - he was very lucky!

1. Depends on the method of plaster ceiling install, usually it's wood lath underneath so you could use a fastener to secure. I would use a finish nailer - air gun

2. You could also strap the area with wood using long enough screws to secure to the ceiling joist.

3. You could locate your ceiling joist and secure to them and were the pces join and don't meet up with a ceiling joist use a h-channel or h-clip to secure the two pces and then secure where you can - ceiling joist are usually 16" centres.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I will try my method first. There is no equipment in the middle of the room. DEV, I know you stated that a sheet fell down in someone else's room, just curious how many more have fallen down in his room since that one incident? I haven't heard of any other incidents with the exception of the one listed by you on here.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
No problem just giving you a heads up, where it was located and finally landed was close to 5ft :eek: He found others were loose also but has now properly fastened them so has no more concerns.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Panels installed

Still haven't finished the ceiling, waiting for next shipment.

Attachments

• 47.JPG
    47.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 494

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
New to the forum and found this thread...

I have been talking with Vicoustic who offers a design service to model your room and determine which of their treatments would work best. They don't acoustically measure your room but ask for floorplan, room construction, goals, etc... The fee is nominal and was wondering if anyone had experience with either this service or any of their treatments?

Since their treatments need to be glued to the wall, I didn't want to blindly move forward.

i'm in the middle of this process, awaiting their proposal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing