Vicoustic: a new option for acoustic treatment - particularly diffusors.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Vicoustic have been a manufacturer I've had my eye on for a while. They make some great looking products and their diffusor lineup is, I think, the best in the business. They have both 1D and 2D diffusors in both EPS and wood.

A couple of their killer products are the MutliFuser DC2 which is almost a RPG Skyline for 1/3rd the price. The Skyline is a bit deeper so diffuses to a lower frequency. The other ones are their real wood diffusors such as the Poly Fuser QR which is a very unique QRD in one plane / poly diffusor in the other product.

See my blog post for more. I've got a bunch of their stuff in my demo facility at the moment and have been very impressed. Going to be using it a lot going forward!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I was looking at this stuff too. I was a little turned off when I see it was just wood attached to foam. Does this really work?

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I was looking at this stuff too. I was a little turned off when I see it was just wood attached to foam. Does this really work?

You mean the Poly Wood Fuser or are you referring to some of their other products? It's all been lab tested.

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
I do agree with Nyal on their testing. Very reliable data and a good assortment of options/tools. Their premium line would be the place to look for performance.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The following items I saw at the showroom are just wood panels glued to foam. And then they said the only way to attachem the to the wall/ceiling is to use adhesive for the foam.

flexiwood%20a50%20cherryfuqe88okuf.jpg omegawoosfuqe88okuf.jpg varipanelimagenew.jpg

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
The following items I saw at the showroom are just wood panels glued to foam. And then they said the only way to attachem the to the wall/ceiling is to use adhesive for the foam.

Hi Bruce, not all of their products make sense (at least to me) for high end audio or home theater. Likewise a lot of companies (even the big boys like RPG) make 1" fiberglass panels, which I would not use either but those doing commercial jobs would.

Still, it's nice to have options, particularly for well designed and reasonably priced diffusers. And they do have a very broad range.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hi Bruce, not all of their products make sense (at least to me) for high end audio or home theater. Likewise a lot of companies (even the big boys like RPG) make 1" fiberglass panels, which I would not use either but those doing commercial jobs would.

Still, it's nice to have options, particularly for well designed and reasonably priced diffusers. And they do have a very broad range.

Thanks Nyal.... guess I need a primer on how to read acoustics graphs!

As audiophiles, we were taught long ago to stay away from eggcrates and foam on the wall. I have nightmares of visiting some studios with this all over the walls/ceiling. :rolleyes:

I've already put in an order for their wood diffusors to place on the front wall behind the speakers.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Thanks Nyal.... guess I need a primer on how to read acoustics graphs!

As audiophiles, we were taught long ago to stay away from eggcrates and foam on the wall. I have nightmares of visiting some studios with this all over the walls/ceiling. :rolleyes:

I've already put in an order for their wood diffusors to place on the front wall behind the speakers.

Nice which ones did you get?

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

scooter

Dec 25, 2013
New to the forum and found this thread...

I have been talking with Vicoustic who offers a design service to model your room and determine which of their treatments would work best. They don't acoustically measure your room but ask for floorplan, room construction, goals, etc... The fee is nominal and was wondering if anyone had experience with either this service or any of their treatments?

Since their treatments need to be glued to the wall, I didn't want to blindly move forward.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
New to the forum and found this thread...

I have been talking with Vicoustic who offers a design service to model your room and determine which of their treatments would work best. They don't acoustically measure your room but ask for floorplan, room construction, goals, etc... The fee is nominal and was wondering if anyone had experience with either this service or any of their treatments?

Since their treatments need to be glued to the wall, I didn't want to blindly move forward.

I am having my room done. I originally had Sonex on my reflective points and no bass traps at all. The main culprit is my ceiling. I sent tons of photographs and the dealer measured all four corners of my room. I have ordered the products recommended by the consultants. I will post pictures when completed.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Just got the Multifusor wood 64's
Hello, Bruce. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, there is no rhyme or reason to the diffusion blocks. Am I correct in this assumption?

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
They are repeating patterns if you look closely (in particular if you look at them as sets of modules) Tom :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Unfortunately, these old eyes can't pick up on the pattern but thanks for answering Jack.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing