What's the best headphone amp you have heard?

Btselect

Jul 4, 2012
For me, the BAT VK75se hooked up to the Stax SRD7 Pro to my Stax Lambda Pro is the best to date for me, my next step is to upgrade my headphone to their more current model. I think the best move for me was buying the SRD7 Pro, with this I can use any of the current Stax phones, and together with the BAT amp the sound is simply astounding.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I am sure it is. To me great headphones are a microscope into the music and chain of equipment. By changing equipment but using the headphone and amp of choice that you know well , it gives me a quick reference to guide me to changes made. As speakers may be most peoples choice They have there limitations as well. And given the complications alone of room and speaker positions , it is a great tool for me.

hugo

Feb 13, 2014
Having been through a few different models from various brands I have found contentment with my Naim Headline headphone amp - that the power supply can be upgraded in the future also interests me should I ever feel the need to upgrade again.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My new 300B custom amp. The transformers are custom made Lundahl transformers, wound to 32 ohms to match my LCD-3s.

500x1000px-LL-7f439185_GAPEwTaks2.jpg

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
My new 300B custom amp. The transformers are custom made Lundahl transformers, wound to 32 ohms to match my LCD-3s.

Beautiful looking kit - I love those VU-meters.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
For me it's a tossup. The internal amp in the Oppo105 is amazingly resolving. It almost injects air into everything it plays, space around the instruments in spades, relatively neutral tonal balance. And that clarity! OMG. Best with lower-impedance cans, but will drive 600 Ohm Beyers to very acceptable levels, albeit lacking some slam and drive. The Violectic V200 is much warmer than the 105's amp, gives the impression of better layering and depth, perhaps a hair less resolving overall, great bass. Doesn't care what you plug into it. My Meier Audio Corda Concerto - reviewed by 6moons, BTW, is a level below in every way imaginable, but still very good. Just not great. The Corda Arietta that I use on my desk shares a similar sonic signature and gives up little, compared to its bigger sibling.

What I do not recommend:

Black Cube Linear clone from ebay - $150 new, beautiful and admirable build quality, the resolution lacks a bit, very warm tonal balance - "musical," not overly detailed. BIG bass. Mine is for sale, near mint, if anyone wants something inexpensive and powerful.

Little Dot III - I upgraded the tubes in mine and tried several permutations. Want a tube amp with all the PITA of tubes and the sound of mediocre solid state? This is it.

Little Bear (tube amp) - Dirt cheap. I paid ~$40 and another $20 for a regulated PSU. Next to the integrated headphone amp in a CD5004, the worst I've heard. By far. Wanna buy it? ;)

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Don't know about the best, BUT my Musical Fidelity XCAN V3 is nothing special. ST reviewed it and basically gave it a major 'rave'. Frankly, IMHO this is one more example as to why you should never rely on a reviewer's opinion; because after that rave and my own experience with this piece,I can now safely say two things..1) NEVER buy anything in audio without listening for yourself first ( which I usually never do, but for some dumb reason did this time) and 2) ST is IMHO certifiably tone deaf.

He raved about the Litttle Dot III, as well. Time for hearing aid, as in a new writer?

MrHeadGear

Feb 27, 2014

View attachment 14082

always nice to see amp like this
:D

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Lots of nice headphones and headphone amps listed here.

My favorite is the Stax Lambda Nova Signature ear speakers with Stax SRM T1S driver amp.

The LNS ear speaker has an oblong panel that is tilted inward at the front, to direct the sound wave into the ear. The panel is larger than the round Stax SR-009.

These were made just before Stax went under in 2004, and later repurchased by some of the original Stax engineers.

At the time they were the Top Stax.

The SRM T1S driver is an FET/tube output transformer less amp. It uses the tape output connection from a preamp - RCA or balanced (XLR).

They work best with super low noise NOS RCA clear top tubes (60's and 70's) that are very hard to find. I bought a lifetime supply. The stock tubes were run of the mill NOS tubes, and are not the best.

Per a recent Stax plant tour on Head FI they are still used as a reference in R&D.

Although other headphones may have more bass "punch", the Stax can not be beat for warm, clear high resolution, top to bottom sound IMO.

The sound quality will match or exceed the finest state of art speakers. They have a frequency response of 5 hz to 50 khz.

The detail and natural tonal balance is unbelievable!

Sound field is front of center, ear to ear.

Good tubes are a must, and they are not to be passed over if you can find a pair to listen to.

Used ones can be found on Head Fi, although some have worn out electrostatic panels. I bought mine new from an Audio Advisor closeout.

The foam covering over the inside of the phones deteriorates quickly, but the ear pads can be removed, (and stuck back on), and the foam ripped out as they serve no purpose.

http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/889/

caesar

May 30, 2010
Recently heard the Cavalli Gold. Just makes excellent music!!!!

But for whatever reason, it does not have a female input for a regular headphone jack. Seems like a mistake that limits the numbers of customers who can get this thing.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Recently heard the Cavalli Gold. Just makes excellent music!!!!

But for whatever reason, it does not have a female input for a regular headphone jack. Seems like a mistake that limits the numbers of customers who can get this thing.

Yes, it does. There are 4 outputs on the front. 4 Pin XLR, Pair of 3 Pin XLR (L/R) and 2 standard TRS jacks where one has gain reduction resistors for situations where the headphone sensitivity is very high.

caesar

May 30, 2010
BUMP!!!

Looks like Cavalli has discontinued his entire line. Anyone catch up to the Gold?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I only heard it once and have a close friend who heard it at lenth. It's a very good amp a bit of noise at low volume. But consider an amp that's very transparent can have that also it could be source involved. It's a shame it's discontinued.

Thetiminator

Apr 20, 2015
The EAR HP4 is by far the best I've heard. I had mine tweaked with some pretty hefty upgrades and now it sounds incredible. I'd say twice as good as before.
The following is a list of what was done. The finishing touch was swapping the valves to Sophia Electrics which are superb.....

1. Capacitors
1. The amp used fairly basic industrial style capacitors - replaced all power supply electrolytic capacitors with good quality Dubiliers and Nichicons (7 in total)
2. Upgraded all key capacitors in the signal path using Mundorf ZN's and Musicaps in coupling positions and Elna Silmics in cathode bypass positions (6 in total)
1. Power supply improved by installing a 15 Henry choke in place of a dropper resistor and by replacing the standard diodes with Schottkies.
2. Converted the power supply to a pseudo mono supply using separate chokes and filter caps for each channel - allows the separate channels to function in virtual independence with their separate choke filters and reservoir caps
3. Valve Sockets - The standard nickel ones replaced with gold plated ones
6. Key Resistors
Kiwame carbon film resistors. Replaced 10 resistors

Reactions: tubesonly

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Best headphone amp I've heard.... and I've heard a lot of headphone amps..... DNA Stellaris. Donald North Audio. This amp creates an amazing sense of space and layering which I haven't heard reproduced elsewhere, probably because it's not something headphones do terribly well relative to speakers. It also creates a very rare tactile palpability that only a couple other headamps I've heard can match. In other words, not only does it create a 3D macro image, but the individual components have a very palpable 3D quality as well. As opposed to 3D soundstage with flat images. I heard Masterbuilt Ultra cables do this in an uncanny way with my 2 channel rig, by the way. Run of the mill vintage RCA 2A3 tubes will do a fantastic job with the DNA Stellaris as well. No need for anything more exotic. My current runner up might be the Woo WA33. It has many of the same qualities as the DNA Stellaris, but to a slightly lesser degree. And incidentally, the "base" WA33 is superior to the "upgraded" version IMO as well. Most Woo products are too warmed over for my liking, but not the base WA33.

Personally, I'm using a First Watt F7 with a pair of modified Sennheiser HD800 cans. It's a good-enough combo for me on the rare occasions I use headphones.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing