How to replace your home theater pre-pro with a HTPC!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
It is done by creating particles. Currently you can auto-create particles for all the titles on a Blu-ray, but not for chapters. It has been requested several times to enable it based on chapters so hopefully they will add this. For now, you have to manually create a particle for each chapter/song. Once you have the particles creted, you can also extract/convert just the audio portion using the Convert Format tool so you could have them all as FLAC files. This is useful if you want to sync with a handheld or make it easier to stream.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles

Thanks, sounds like a ton of work for what should be an easy standard feature, but at least it can be done. I'll probably do my top 10 concert discs and wait for Jriver v20 to hopefully get it done automatically.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
It is done by creating particles. Currently you can auto-create particles for all the titles on a Blu-ray, but not for chapters. It has been requested several times to enable it based on chapters so hopefully they will add this. For now, you have to manually create a particle for each chapter/song. Once you have the particles creted, you can also extract/convert just the audio portion using the Convert Format tool so you could have them all as FLAC files. This is useful if you want to sync with a handheld or make it easier to stream.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles

Clunky but doable. Here is the bigger problem though. It appears it is impossible to navigate videos in JRemote using a hierarchy, so your video titles will just list alphabetically and your "particules are part of that sequence. This is of course completely unworkable. Are you aware of any solutions to navigate video content in Jremote.

Even in native Jriver, is seems like there is no way to move the particles one level deeper into the hierarchy - it is all just listed under the artist, next to the actual album. Almost unworkable....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ok. Go the library management sorted out with custome library views. Works like a chart. One remaining issue though. On Blu Ray you just get a long list of titles and creating particles that jump to a title/track is straightforward. However, on regular DVDs you have a list of titles and within each title there are chapters. The actual songs are within one of the titles. How do you create particles that jump to chapters within the correct title?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Two more quick JRiver questions.

After I physically moved my server yesterday I lost channel 1/2 on my lynx card. While I am sorting this out, I would like to map channel 1/2 to channel 7/8 so I can play 5.1 music. I tried copying the L/R channels to RL/RR in the DSP -> Parametric Equalizer. This does not give me output on channel 7/8. Any suggestions on how to do this?

I need to set up a 2 channel and MCH zone. In MCH zone I will use the Jriver volume control, in 2 channel I will play at 100% volume and attenuate with downstream preamp. I concerned, an accidental zone switch could blow up my speakers. One way to mitigate the risk is to set my 2 channel zone to variable volume control, an turn volume down before I switch to MCH zone. My question is this, will setting up a zone with variable volume and then playing at full volume be identical to setting up that zone with fixed volume, or would I sacrifice sound quality with variable volume control, even played at full volume?

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I was going to play with a concert DVD this weekend to check title and particle creation, but didn't have time.

Two more quick JRiver questions.

After I physically moved my server yesterday I lost channel 1/2 on my lynx card. While I am sorting this out, I would like to map channel 1/2 to channel 7/8 so I can play 5.1 music. I tried copying the L/R channels to RL/RR in the DSP -> Parametric Equalizer. This does not give me output on channel 7/8. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Set output format set to "5.1 channels (inside 7.1 container)". This will make RL/RR as channels 7 & 8. In normal 7.1, RL/RR are channels 5&6.

I need to set up a 2 channel and MCH zone. In MCH zone I will use the Jriver volume control, in 2 channel I will play at 100% volume and attenuate with downstream preamp. I concerned, an accidental zone switch could blow up my speakers. One way to mitigate the risk is to set my 2 channel zone to variable volume control, an turn volume down before I switch to MCH zone. My question is this, will setting up a zone with variable volume and then playing at full volume be identical to setting up that zone with fixed volume, or would I sacrifice sound quality with variable volume control, even played at full volume?
There will be no difference with using internal volume and then changing to full volume. You can turn on volume protection and this will reset each zone to 20% volume when JRiver opens and if the zone isn't used for 30 min. You can also set a maximum volume level for a zone for added protection if you have too much gain. Both of these are set in Tools > Options > Audio > Volume.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I was going to play with a concert DVD this weekend to check title and particle creation, but didn't have time.

Set output format set to "5.1 channels (inside 7.1 container)". This will make RL/RR as channels 7 & 8. In normal 7.1, RL/RR are channels 5&6.

There will be no difference with using internal volume and then changing to full volume. You can turn on volume protection and this will reset each zone to 20% volume when JRiver opens and if the zone isn't used for 30 min. You can also set a maximum volume level for a zone for added protection if you have too much gain. Both of these are set in Tools > Options > Audio > Volume.

Thanks. Very helpful as usual.

I have something for you as well. There is a little gem of a program called Aimersoft DVD ripper, which works brilliantly for ripping DVD chapters within titles, and save them as individual files. It works in batch - just select the tracks you need and presto. Try the trial version. Their BLu Ray ripper compresses the audio, so is less usefull.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Thanks. Very helpful as usual.

I have something for you as well. There is a little gem of a program called Aimersoft DVD ripper, which works brilliantly for ripping DVD chapters within titles, and save them as individual files. It works in batch - just select the tracks you need and presto. Try the trial version. Their BLu Ray ripper compresses the audio, so is less usefull.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Life saver. Spend another 2 hours trying to figure out where my channel 1/2 have gone on the lynx card and threw in the towel. I think it is some sort of conflict between my USB card driver (which I use for 2 channel) and the Lynx card. At least I have 5.1 sound back using the 5/6 channels for mains.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
# 1 candidate for worse customer service in consumer electronics - ASUS.

Issue: Video problem with motherboard

First action: Start online chat session - result; get kicked out after 20 minutes wait
Second action: Start another online chat session - result; spend 30 minutes online with advice to log a service request online
Third Action: Log online request - Result; submission does not get confirmed - in limbo - did it get through or not
Fourth Action: Log another online request - Result; submission does not get confirmed - in limbo - did it get through or not.
Fifth Action: Check email - two requests have gone through and confirmed via email
Sixth action: Per instructions in confirmation email, call ASUS to obtain RMA - Spend 30 minutes on hold. Speak to support, who advises to load new drivers first before obtaining RMA for new board
Seventh action: Try downloading driver from ASUS website - Result: No joy - site doe not respond.

Why hasn't the invisible hand strangled this pathetic outfit to a slow and agonizing commercial death? Don't know. Last time I spend a penny on ASUS - that's fore sure.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
My HTPC project hell continues, and I am still having problems with video. I really thought it was a MOBO issue, but just for kicks I tried to play a file that was having issues in JRiver in another program and it appeared to behave fine. Any Jriver video gurus here that can offer suggestions about changes in video setting? I am intermittently a shifted image in the middle of the screen, which looks like a line acorss. Anything in "general video setting' of display settings (I am having the same problem with two separate displays though) you can suggest?

O did I mention, Jriver is not playing native DSD to my MSB DAC anymore? Says "this output format may not be supported by our hardware". Always worked in the past. What a disaster.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
My HTPC project hell continues, and I am still having problems with video. I really thought it was a MOBO issue, but just for kicks I tried to play a file that was having issues in JRiver in another program and it appeared to behave fine. Any Jriver video gurus here that can offer suggestions about changes in video setting? I am intermittently a shifted image in the middle of the screen, which looks like a line acorss. Anything in "general video setting' of display settings (I am having the same problem with two separate displays though) you can suggest?
I'm sorry you are having problems. The two separate displays are still probably using the same video driver and the same settings in JRiver so using separate displays doesn't rule anything out.

I would recommend first making sure you have the most recent released build (19.0.118). Next, what settings are you using in Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings? You may have done something that exceeds your hardware's capabilities.
Finally, make sure your video card driver settings aren't adding any additional processing.

O did I mention, Jriver is not playing native DSD to my MSB DAC anymore? Says "this output format may not be supported by our hardware". Always worked in the past. What a disaster.
You said a few posts ago that you setup two zones. This will happen if you accidentally use a multi-channel zone for playback to a 2-channel audio device. I would check that first.

Another issue that happens when using ASIO drivers is that the hardware is already in use. For example, if you are using the Lynx AES16 for one zone (even if paused) and don't stop that zone, then if you start playback in another zone, even if it is using other output channels, then you will get the message. Most ASIO drivers are single client which means only one instance of software can access the entire device. The two devices I've used that have multi-client drivers are the Lynx Hilo and the Solid State Logic MadiXtreme. Both of these let you use different channels for different zones simultaneously.

Both of the above issues are resolved by using ZoneSwitch and setting rules that stop playback in other zones.

I have also found your error message to be caused by incorrect settings for the following:
number of channels
sample rate
bit depth

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm sorry you are having problems. The two separate displays are still probably using the same video driver and the same settings in JRiver so using separate displays doesn't rule anything out.

I would recommend first making sure you have the most recent released build (19.0.118). Next, what settings are you using in Tools > Options > Video > General Video Settings? You may have done something that exceeds your hardware's capabilities.
Finally, make sure your video card driver settings aren't adding any additional processing.

All video settings are defaults - did not touch anything. I am using MOBO HDMI, so there is no video card. Tough one ....

You said a few posts ago that you setup two zones. This will happen if you accidentally use a multi-channel zone for playback to a 2-channel audio device. I would check that first.

Another issue that happens when using ASIO drivers is that the hardware is already in use. For example, if you are using the Lynx AES16 for one zone (even if paused) and don't stop that zone, then if you start playback in another zone, even if it is using other output channels, then you will get the message. Most ASIO drivers are single client which means only one instance of software can access the entire device. The two devices I've used that have multi-client drivers are the Lynx Hilo and the Solid State Logic MadiXtreme. Both of these let you use different channels for different zones simultaneously.

Both of the above issues are resolved by using ZoneSwitch and setting rules that stop playback in other zones.

I have also found your error message to be caused by incorrect settings for the following:
number of channels
sample rate
bit depth

It looks like using two ASIO drivers (one for lynx card and one for USB on MBS DAC) is causing problems. This is probably why I loast channel 1/2 on the lynx card. However, It happens when I boot up from scratch. Don't see how you can have "zone conflict" in this scenario. How do you stop playback in a zone? Just stop the file that is playing? The issue appears to be some resources are not released switching between zones.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
It looks like using two ASIO drivers (one for lynx card and one for USB on MBS DAC) is causing problems. This is probably why I loast channel 1/2 on the lynx card. However, It happens when I boot up from scratch. Don't see how you can have "zone conflict" in this scenario. How do you stop playback in a zone? Just stop the file that is playing? The issue appears to be some resources are not released switching between zones.
Yes, you stop playback in a zone by stopping the file that is playing. You also have to have the correct zone selected under Playing Now.

I have four or five ASIO drivers for various devices (PCIe, USB, Firewire) all installed on my computer. I don't have any conflicts. This doesn't really help you if you are having conflicts :), but I thought I'd mention it. It does make me ask, "How do you know you are having conflicts?"

Do you have either device set as your default audio device? I recommend setting your motherboard output (analog or digital) as the default device. This prevents other software, including the OS, from using the hardware. When they use the hardware, like for internet audio, then that prevents the ASIO driver from accessing the hardware.

What happens when you try to playback to channels 1 & 2 on the Lynx card? Just no sound or do you also get an error message? Have you looked at the Lynx mixer to see if it shows playback on those channels or to make sure the channels didn't get muted or rerouted. I recommend check marking "lock mixer" in the mixer settings after you have verified the settings are correct and no channels are muted or rerouted.

Nothing has to be done in the Lynx Mixer to work properly with JRiver and it really should be left alone. I was "messing around" and inadvertently panned the right channel from far right to the middle. This moved my whole soundstage left and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I don't mean a few hours. More like several days of looking at every possible thing. After I finally found the problem and fixed it, the settings would revert every time I rebooted. I then had to use "lock mixer" to maintain the correct setting. A re-installation of the Lynx driver/software was actually needed to permanently fix it.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Yes, you stop playback in a zone by stopping the file that is playing. You also have to have the correct zone selected under Playing Now.

I have four or five ASIO drivers for various devices (PCIe, USB, Firewire) all installed on my computer. I don't have any conflicts. This doesn't really help you if you are having conflicts :), but I thought I'd mention it. It does make me ask, "How do you know you are having conflicts?"

Do you have either device set as your default audio device? I recommend setting your motherboard output (analog or digital) as the default device. This prevents other software, including the OS, from using the hardware. When they use the hardware, like for internet audio, then that prevents the ASIO driver from accessing the hardware.

What happens when you try to playback to channels 1 & 2 on the Lynx card? Just no sound or do you also get an error message? Have you looked at the Lynx mixer to see if it shows playback on those channels or to make sure the channels didn't get muted or rerouted. I recommend check marking "lock mixer" in the mixer settings after you have verified the settings are correct and no channels are muted or rerouted.

Nothing has to be done in the Lynx Mixer to work properly with JRiver and it really should be left alone. I was "messing around" and inadvertently panned the right channel from far right to the middle. This moved my whole soundstage left and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I don't mean a few hours. More like several days of looking at every possible thing. After I finally found the problem and fixed it, the settings would revert every time I rebooted. I then had to use "lock mixer" to maintain the correct setting. A re-installation of the Lynx driver/software was actually needed to permanently fix it.

I am getting signal in the lynx mixer on channel 1/2 but not sound. When I map 1/2 to channel 5/6 as you suggested it works fine. I switch default windows output device between MSB and Lynx in windows when I switch zones. Did not know I don't need to do this to get sound on either USB or Lynx depending on which zone I am in in Jriver. Will do as you suggested and set default output device to MOBO audio output. I thought I would not get audio out of my system (USB or Lynx) with this setting.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I am getting signal in the lynx mixer on channel 1/2 but not sound. When I map 1/2 to channel 5/6 as you suggested it works fine. I switch default windows output device between MSB and Lynx in windows when I switch zones. Did not know I don't need to do this to get sound on either USB or Lynx depending on which zone I am in in Jriver. Will do as you suggested and set default output device to MOBO audio output. I thought I would not get audio out of my system (USB or Lynx) with this setting.
Have you properly selected your devices/output mode in Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Devices in JRiver for each zone?

Once you change your default windows device set things up in each zone's audio settins, I would uncheck the PEQ in JRiver to unmap the channels and try channels 1&2 again. If the Lynx mixer is getting a signal and your cables are correctly connected you should be getting output. The mixer getting a signal indicates to me that the other driver isn't interfering.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Have you properly selected your devices/output mode in Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Devices in JRiver for each zone?

Once you change your default windows device set things up in each zone's audio settins, I would uncheck the PEQ in JRiver to unmap the channels and try channels 1&2 again. If the Lynx mixer is getting a signal and your cables are correctly connected you should be getting output. The mixer getting a signal indicates to me that the other driver isn't interfering.

Yes, JRiver is set up correctly for audio. I need to change the windows default device as you suggested and see what happens. I'm not with the machine now, but will try later. Thanks again.

Bigger concern is my video issue, which is a lot harder to troubleshoot. I'll make the counter-intuitive move of trying Red October HQ (which requires more processing). Problems are occurring in standard mode.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ok. I'm finally ready to declare victory. I have on MCH/Video server up and running (endpcnoise fanless monster with lynx card), and one 2 channel server (caps 3 with SotM USB and battery).

The MCH/video server has movie rips (e.g. a directory of "classics", "favourites" and "queue" to watch), concert DVD rips, family videos and all my MCH audio content (SACD and DVD-A rips). I can switch between "The Godfather, 2012 trip to Italy, Adele at Royal Albert Hall, and Beethoven 7th symphony in 5 seconds). You need a certain amount of with so much content at your fingertips - it is a little overwhelming. only thing left to do is tag an index my "preprossed" SACD rips. I organize by composer instead of by performer, so if need to move tracks between folders and rename track names. Bit of work, but very gratifying (as opposed to troubleshooting hardware).

I suspect the vinyl crowd will frown at the notion of having a 40 year video clip of your parents at the beach in south of france (transferred from super 8 to digital), 5 seconds removed from playing a Beethoven string quartet on the audiophile system, but I think it is super cool.

On the hardware side I am now playing with a PS Audio DirectStream, I ordered a Mytek and I will be comparing the option of 3 x Directstream for all channels, MSB for mains and 2 x Mytek (with synchonized masterclock) for other channels, and MSB for mains and 2 x NAD M51 for other channels.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What impact does the battery have on the SotM card? Small, marginal, or clearly audible?

I don't recall hearing any difference after inserting the battery into my system. Does not mean there is none, just that it is below the threshold of what I can clearly hear. Keep in mind that to switch from battery to the adapter you need to power the system down and there are going to be minutes between listening sessions. To me, this rules out detecting any subtle or marginal differences. Of course, this does not mean I would consider selling the battery, because if I did, I would be agonizing forever about potentially having compromised SQ. Audiophilia nervosa is strange mental condition.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing