Help me to understand Measurements, please!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Of all the members and mods on WBF, I am probably the most ignorant (don't really like that word, but it somehow fits) about measurements, specifications and product statistics. Other than glancing over some product details and reading reviews, I am totally at a loss when trying to understand what any and all of these things mean.

Mathematics and the sciences never captured my interest back in my youth (school), although I tried my best to understand and at least come up with passeble grades. Geography, history and languages (I speak 3) came easy for me, and, as such, I never tried to acquiant myself with the topic of this thread in later years. However, I find myself fascinated by some of the topics here on these matters and have been reading them diligently.

Is there a source that I could sink my teeth into, which would help me to understand (somewhat) some of the basics and more important aspects of measurements that one should not be without. I know that's a very broad question, but many of you are really-versed in this area and I would certainly appreciate some direction. Thank you!

John

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Of all the members and mods on WBF, I am probably the most ignorant (don't really like that word, but it somehow fits) about measurements, specifications and product statistics. Other than glancing over some product details and reading reviews, I am totally at a loss when trying to understand what any and all of these things mean.

Mathematics and the sciences never captured my interest back in my youth (school), although I tried my best to understand and at least come up with passeble grades. Geography, history and languages (I speak 3) came easy for me, and, as such, I never tried to acquiant myself with the topic of this thread in later years. However, I find myself fascinated by some of the topics here on these matters and have been reading them diligently.

Is there a source that I could sink my teeth into, which would help me to understand (somewhat) some of the basics and more important aspects of measurements that one should not be without. I know that's a very broad question, but many of you are really-versed in this area and I would certainly appreciate some direction. Thank you!

John

Hi John,

This will help you in very easy terms understand a basic set of speaker measurements: http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/test_loudspeakers.htm

Hope this helps,

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Mathematics and the sciences never captured my interest back in my youth

I'm not a math guy either, but you don't need that to understand audio and measurements. Really. Most things in the physical world have exact parallels. For example, electricity can be visualized as water flowing through a pipe. The thinner the wire (pipe), the less current (water) that can flow for a given voltage (pressure).

Is there a source that I could sink my teeth into, which would help me to understand (somewhat) some of the basics and more important aspects of measurements that one should not be without.

There's a fair amount of measuring and specs explanation in my AES Audio Myths video, and my Hardware Tutor article uses mechanical analogies to explain electricity and audio concepts.

--Ethan

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Jeff, Ethan...thank you both for those resources.:)

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing