Balanced (XLR) "Y" Cable

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Hi

Having a pair of DMA 200's and only 1 balanced output, is there a cable that will split the single output into 2...and....if possible, will this be harmful or diminish the overall performance?

Any idea's ?

Thanks

Mike

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No problem with splitting it. Any half decent music shop should have the parts or you can buy them online: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/434617-REG/Kino_Flo_PWC_X42_Splitter_Cable_1.html

The output will drop some but should not be a cause for concern at "macro level."

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi msm_1 - what are you trying to do exactly?

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Hi

I have 3 Pre's at this time, a Rogue 99 ( has 2 rca outputs but no balanced ) a Rogue 66 ( same as 99 ) and a Classe DR-6 ( has 1 balanced output )

I want to hook up both my Spectral DMA200's using the balanced outputs ( Several people have said that the DMA200's sound best by using the balanced hookups ) and not the RCA's

Thanks

Mike

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So if I understand you correctly, you want to simultaneously plug in as many preamps as possible to the amps, and your way of doing it is with Y cables??? If that's the case, this is a major no-no with any amp... Or am I missing something?

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
No,

I want to use only one Pre and 2 amps. The Classe Pre, has only one balanced output so I'm trying to figure out if it's posible to split the one output without harming any of my equipment.

My other 2 Rogue Pre's are tubed, but have only RCA's for hookups and will not be in this system

Thanks

Mike

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's a safe configuration. Once you get it working, do a test. As one configuration is playing, disconnect the cable from the other amp and see if you hear an audible difference. If not, you are good to go.

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks, I am looking into whether the Rogue's can be modded with 2 balanced outputs, instead of the existing 2 RCA's outputs

Thanks again

Mike

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi msm_1,

I use the splitter that amirm posted to feed the signal from the preamp simultaneously to the main amplifer(s) and the subwoofers. The sound is just fine and dandy for me. I don't feel that the sonics have been diminished in any way.

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Hi

Sorry for bringing up this older post, but I have'nt had time to work on my system till now.

I have one quick question..... If I'm using all spectral or MIT cables, yet need a Y splitter to go between my SDR and my pair of DMA 200's. Doesn't this take away the use of the MIT cables as the Y splitter won't have the full bandwidth capabilites that the MIT's do?

So, to the point, the cables are not a real important factor as the performance and sound will only be as good as the quality of the splitter?

Just trying to figure out, as there are some big differences in pricing MIT cables

Thanks

MiKE

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi msm_1,

I use balanced splitter cobbled up using Gotham interconnects. I don't feel that there is any degradation as it is just a short run of less than 6 inches.

When I used the Y splitter before, I also did not feel any degradation. I look at the Y splitter as just an extended part of the RCA jack.

I have done this using different MIT interconnects such as 330E, shotgun, CVT, Oracles and it worked fine in every case. I suppose going through the Spectral RCA jacks and through splitters do not make much of a difference as Spectral's internal wiring and jacks are pretty standard.

If you wish to really experiment, you can bypass the SDR's RCA jacks and solder your interconnects directly to the SDR's board.

I have changed the internal wiring of one of my Spectral DMC 20 preamps from the input RCA jacks into the board and from the board to the output RCA jacks; at the same time, I changed the RCA jacks to Cardas brands and there was real improvement with these tweaks. Be warned though that this voids the warranty.

Sam

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mike,

Nice to see you over here. have you tried bi-amping with the single ended outputs first? I mean if the mids/treble amp and the bass amps don't match up, at least you'll know without spending a dime. Anyhow I've heard Mullard's Y-cable set up and I heard no degredation. Then again the application is a bit different. He's got one pair of xlrs going into amps for his monitors and the other into his Element powered subs that start work pretty low.

Anyhow, good luck!

Jack

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing