I'm impressed: the Bogdan Audio Creations Art Deco speaker

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I just received in for review the Bogdan Audio Creations Art Deco speaker.

They sell for $2600.

It uses a Seas coaxial driver, a very unique cabinet design finished solid cherry,
and exceptional craftsman ship.

It is rated at 8 Ohms, 88 Db sensitivity, and goes down to the mid 40s.

I did not know what to expect, but out of the box, I was extremely impressed.

I set them up casually in my bedroom system just until I make room in the main system, and they still
sounded great.

It actually reminded me of the Kef LS50 in a big way..surprise, since they both use
coaxial drivers.

Stay tuned......:cool:

P1020649.JPG

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just received in for review the Bogdan Audio Creations Art Deco speaker.

They sell for $2600.

It uses a Seas coaxial driver, a very unique cabinet design finished solid cherry,
and exceptional craftsman ship.

It is rated at 8 Ohms, 88 Db sensitivity, and goes down to the mid 40s.

I did not know what to expect, but out of the box, I was extremely impressed.

I set them up casually in my bedroom system just until I make room in the main system, and they still
sounded great.

It actually reminded me of the Kef LS50 in a big way..surprise, since they both use
coaxial drivers.

Stay tuned......:cool:

View attachment 10044

Andre-First, I can't resist telling you that 'craftsmanship' is one word, not two. With regards to this speaker, what caught my eye was that it only uses a single coaxial driver like the LS50. However, just due to its sheer size, I would suspect this speaker has to have way more cabinet sound than the LS50. I think part of the genius behind the LS50 design is the small cabinet and all of the many details/engineering that went into its shape and construction. The cabinet on the Bogdan looks like something out of the 1950s whereas the cabinet for the LS50 looks like it came from the future.

I will be interested to read your full review. Based on the cabinet size alone, I would expect the Bogdan to have deeper bass than the LS50, but somehow I doubt that it will be a cleaner sounding/measuring speaker because of the cabinet.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre-First, I can't resist telling you that 'craftsmanship' is one word, not two. With regards to this speaker, what caught my eye was that it only uses a single coaxial driver like the LS50. However, just due to its sheer size, I would suspect this speaker has to have way more cabinet sound than the LS50. I think part of the genius behind the LS50 design is the small cabinet and all of the many details/engineering that went into its shape and construction. The cabinet on the Bogdan looks like something out of the 1950s whereas the cabinet for the LS50 looks like it came from the future.

I will be interested to read your full review. Based on the cabinet size alone, I would expect the Bogdan to have deeper bass than the LS50, but somehow I doubt that it will be a cleaner sounding/measuring speaker because of the cabinet.

Good observations, and thanks for the correction on the word. I do struggle with those long ones!

First, the bass IS bigger than the LS50. Secondly, so far, with casual run in, I really hear ZERO cabinet sound. I mean ZILTCH. Note
that I mentioned the outer 3rd of the speaker is solid cherry, not a veneer. The thing weighs about 3 times the LS50 easy.

The coaxial driver is super clean and coherent sounding..I obviously have no way of doing measurements.

Just based on a few hours of listening, I can tell you they very much can be compared to the LS50s...same unexpected dynamics, similar resolution, excellent tonality, but definitely a "bigger" bass sound as I said, although not necessarily deeper. The designer is going to supply me with more information concerning the cabinet, driver etc.

As I said stay tuned. They will go into my main room in a few days.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I look forward to reading your review Andre.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I look forward to reading your review Andre.

Per Bogdan Audio Creations:

There is an inside cabinet made of 3/4 MDF then the solid Cherry is applied to it

The cabinet density varies through out with variations of up to 1.7".

No chip plastic tubing no ringing noise and no port vibrations!

You can turn the speaker up side down and look at the port.

Coaxial driver Information:

Bass and midrange frequencies are carried by a clear polypropylene type cone ideally matched to a special adaptive rubber surround. This results in a very smooth frequency response from the mid woofer.

The coaxially arranged pre coated fabric dome tweeter has a low resonance frequency, and integrates with the cone driver to a point source.

The cone of the woofer acts as a horn loading for the tweeter, and the chassis of the dome unit represents the throat of this horn. The tweeter is located where you would expect to see the dust cap on a traditional driver. The woofer cone moves independently around the tweeter.

Frequency response: 46 - 25,000 Hz
Impedance: 8 ohms
Sensitivity: 88 db

Retail price is $ 2600

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Based on the above description, the drivers used in the Bogdan are quite different than the drivers used in the LS50 so I would suspect they will sound different as well. The Bogdan uses polypropylene and the LS50 uses a mixture of magnesium and aluminum.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Based on the above description, the drivers used in the Bogdan are quite different than the drivers used in the LS50 so I would suspect they will sound different as well. The Bogdan uses polypropylene and the LS50 uses a mixture of magnesium and aluminum.

Interestingly, they don't sound tonally as far apart as you might think. There is also going to be a review appearing
in Dagogo soon, so it will be interesting to see what they have to say.

http://dagogo.com/forum/speakers/bogdan-audio-creations-art-deco-speaker

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
and even more...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have seen that guy at RMAF and I found his amps somewhat interesting. This video puts into perspective how small those speakers are. Of course they are still way bigger than the LS50s, but in the grand scheme of floorstanders, they are small.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing