Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T.H.E. Show Report- 2013

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Speaking of different preferences- I brought a new audiophile to the show (the most important thing about this weekend)- after a day, I could tell he likes a warmer sound than I do- and I told him congratulations. Don't let others be your guide; find your own path. Sometimes we listen too much to reviews and friends and not our own heads.

Cheers,
    Best advice ever.
    Venture CR-8 Signatures with Venture Reference Signature 3 woofers/Concert Fidelity CF-080LSX/modified Magnus Audio MA-300 with MA-500 power supply//PranaWire Cosmos/Acoustc Zen Absolute Silver pc's/Prana Wire Deva/Silnote Poseidon Signature2 digital/Sound Application Reference Linestage/Runco 50" plasma/Modwright Elyse DAC with modded Oppo 103 transport/ VPI Classic 1 with Graham 2.2/ Canary Audio MC10 phono/and a 1995 S/C 700hp BMW 4.9L 540i w/ ARC Audio Reference amps and Focal es 165kxs.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised that no one other than Steve seems to have remarked that Magico and Constellation were making great sounds. At CES, their joint room was sublime. It stood out even among a sea of superb sounding rooms.
    +1

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by taters View Post
    +1
    Guess I must have heard it on the wrong day at CES. I though it one of the worst and most mechanical, artificial sounding rooms. Lifeless and no microdynamic contrasts at all. All the images were paper thin YMMV....

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Guess I must have heard it on the wrong day at CES. I though it one of the worst and most mechanical, artificial sounding rooms. Lifeless and no microdynamic contrasts at all. All the images were paper thin YMMV....
    Seriously? That's a heck of a criticism. I don't think I've ever heard any other pro say anything like that about the sound the two firms make. Most talk about the great synergy of the brands.

Not that that makes you wrong, nor do I suggest that I've read every comment or review. But it's not my first rodeo either and I must tell you I visited the room half a dozen times because I thought it was so good. I'm not a fan of the industrial design or pricing of either brand, nor usually of all solid state systems, so the sublime sound caught me by surprise.

Maybe you were tense or rushed, or the music selection/source equipment was dicey - I know I can't listen to anything when something has put me in the wrong frame of mind.

Or maybe I'm just dead wrong - but if so, I'm not alone.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Andre Marc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Seriously? That's a heck of a criticism. I don't think I've ever heard any other pro say anything like that about the sound the two firms make. Most talk about the great synergy of the brands.

Not that that makes you wrong, nor do I suggest that I've read every comment or review. But it's not my first rodeo either and I must tell you I visited the room half a dozen times because I thought it was so good. I'm not a fan of the industrial design or pricing of either brand, nor usually of all solid state systems, so the sublime sound caught me by surprise.

Maybe you were tense or rushed, or the music selection/source equipment was dicey - I know I can't listen to anything when something has put me in the wrong frame of mind.

Or maybe I'm just dead wrong - but if so, I'm not alone.
    I am also not a huge fan of all solid state systems, the design, or pricing of both firms, but I agree with you the sound was very good together,
    at least at Newport.

I can see how Myles, based on his system preferences (CJ/ML) would find the presentation somewhat mechanical. However, I was
    particularly impressed with the bass definition and over all resolution.

Irv Gross was manning the room at Newport, and I get along with him great, he is a sweet guy, but sometimes he
    plays very unfamiliar, and well, boring music. I prompted him to play something that people would know aside from
    high resolution Bach concertos and he complied.

These products DO need a very long break in period, and it is possible at CES they were not ready. Also, the S1 has
    been tweaked since then.

I think Magico could be opening up a whole new market at $12,600. Would love to have a shoot out with the S1 and the Thiel CS3.7.
    Andre Marc
    Avrev
    tonepublications

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Don't know what was playing in that room, or the room itself, but I have a Q3 + Constellation Centaur/Virgo here, and it's anything BUT what Myles described.
    It's an incredibly lifelike sound, with lots of depth and layering.
    I know Myles likes panels, and I liked them too in my limited exposure, but this (Magico + proper amps) is something else altogether.

alexandre

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! lasercd's Avatar
    Alright Alex...TIME'S UP!

How are you liking the Constellation gear vs your Dartzeel?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by lasercd View Post
    Alright Alex...TIME'S UP!

How are you liking the Constellation gear vs your Dartzeel?
    If I had never heard a darTZeel, I'd keep those. It has the Krell heft (or the Boulder I heard at your place) with the lovely naturalness of the darTZeel. It's also priced somewhat right.

I have only switched the darTZeels back in briefly, to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I'm trying to play as many different kinds of music as possible, to get a good idea how these sound, instead of relying on the familiar test tunes.

So final verdict is still up, but this is the first electronics that made me even consider a change. Everything else was nice here and there, better in this or that aspect, but overall, the darTZeel was clearly better. With these (Constellation), it's not as clear cut, the gap is not as big, if it even exists.

alexandre

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! lasercd's Avatar
    Knowing how highly you regard the Dartzeel, you've said plenty. It must be impressive.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    If I had never heard a darTZeel, I'd keep those. It has the Krell heft (or the Boulder I heard at your place) with the lovely naturalness of the darTZeel. It's also priced somewhat right.

I have only switched the darTZeels back in briefly, to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I'm trying to play as many different kinds of music as possible, to get a good idea how these sound, instead of relying on the familiar test tunes.

So final verdict is still up, but this is the first electronics that made me even consider a change. Everything else was nice here and there, better in this or that aspect, but overall, the darTZeel was clearly better. With these (Constellation), it's not as clear cut, the gap is not as big, if it even exists.

alexandre
    Alexandre,

Are you listening to the Virgo or Virgo II?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast