Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T.H.E. Show Report- 2013

They are actually pretty nice looking, I am just a mean audiophile. You could also say they look like spinnakers in blossom.

They look to me to be an incredible bargain if even half of what I see and have heard is true.

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
    Actually, a single room can sound very different depending upon when you listen (settling times, ad hoc cable/gear changes by the exhibitor, etc.) Show reports that are based upon the sound are a moving target and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundproof View Post
    I'm always amused by show reports, they never agree and demonstrate clearly that preferences are all over the place, when it comes to "what's best."

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Breuninger View Post
    Actually, a single room can sound very different depending upon when you listen (settling times, ad hoc cable/gear changes by the exhibitor, etc.) Show reports that are based upon the sound are a moving target and should be taken with a grain of salt.
    That's not a minor point! If you want to hear things sound their best, need to usually go on Sunday. That's why when I go to shows, try and hit every room over several days. I've even had exhibitors see me in the hall and ask me to come back and listen because they found a cable, etc. not working properly. Happened not to long ago in Chicago in the Herron Audio room.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    The reality is that if you hear something sound really good at a show, you may just be hearing a fraction of the true performance potential compared to hearing the same gear in a really good room vice a hotel room. Conversely, if you hear something bad sounding at a show, it doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't sound great if set up in a good room. Unfortunately, we tend to make snapshot judgements of sound quality at shows-or at least I know I do. Some rooms/gear sound so bad I don't want to sit through a single song before I want to bolt.

I always try to remember that when you audition equipment at a show, each piece in the system is at least capable of reproducing the sound quality you experience. You should realize that any of the individual components may be capable of a much higher level of performance when used in a different system or room. Therefore I try to avoid forming any negative opinions after an audition in an unfamiliar system, since poor sonics may just be the result of a mismatch with other components or a limitation of the room's acoustics. (So I'm in complete agreement with mep's comments above.)

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Breuninger View Post
    Even more true if you consider one of the possible explanations for the expression a "grain of salt" . From Wikipedia An alternative account says that the Roman general Pompey believed he could make himself immune to poison by ingesting small amounts of various poisons, and he took this treatment with a grain of salt to help him swallow the poison. In this version, the salt is not the antidote. It was taken merely to assist in swallowing the poison.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised that no one other than Steve seems to have remarked that Magico and Constellation were making great sounds. At CES, their joint room was sublime. It stood out even among a sea of superb sounding rooms.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    I think others mentioned it Paul

It sounded very good when I was in the room
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I'm surprised that no one other than Steve seems to have remarked that Magico and Constellation were making great sounds. At CES, their joint room was sublime. It stood out even among a sea of superb sounding rooms.
    I mentioned it in another thread. I thought it was the best I've heard Magico speakers. The Q7... not so much....
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast