Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T.H.E. Show Report- 2013

I'm always amused by show reports, they never agree and demonstrate clearly that preferences are all over the place, when it comes to "what's best."
    Searching wide and far around the globe for my own most preferred distortion.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Keith, I am a little surprised that you did not like the Wilson/ARC room on the 2nd floor. Steve and I both thought this was the best sound at the show. Debbie W and her crew nailed it, IMHO.
    BTW, i think you mean that Philip O'Hanlon's recordings couldn't save the MolaMola's, LOL.
    Yes, a freudian slip

I much preferred Sashas w/ Aesthetix. I'm just not an ARC guy I guess- last year I had similar thoughts as I was looking at the Ref 75 for my own living room.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Keith, I am a little surprised that you did not like the Wilson/ARC room on the 2nd floor. Steve and I both thought this was the best sound at the show. Debbie W and her crew nailed it, IMHO.
    BTW, i think you mean that Philip O'Hanlon's recordings couldn't save the MolaMola's, LOL.
    It seems that there are camps who love the Wilson's and those who don't like them
    I was hoping to hear some great sound from the Wilson's at THE Show, because the private systems I've heard (Watt Puppies) have never impressed me. Unfortunately, I didn't hear one room where I thought that the Wilsons were installed and sounded good.
    The person I went with owns all Audio Research and he was disappointed at ARC's room with the Vandersteins too. But with the Wilson's, he came away as a reaffirmed member of the camp of never hearing a Wilson set up that he liked.
    As a side note: For me the big disappointment was Evolution's room. Last year, paired with darTZeel, the Evolution MMMicroOne sounded very impressive. And Veloce, which had the same room now for three years in a row, was disappointing this year.
    I think that everyone was impressed with Pioneer's $159.00 speakers and under $800.00 system. Same with Magneplanar's room. Inexpensive gear that stood out. Esp. the Maggies.
    I thought that Magico's Q7's would have been better served by Constellation's amplification and better attention to room acoustics.
    If you're going to brag about your $750K system in the room (with Synergetic binding post jumpers costing $15K a pair... which I'm sure made the Q7's sound $15K better), you would think that you could throw down for some absorbers and bass traps, instead of relying on 4 little brass bowls surrounding the system to fix the resonance.
    Do you want to be better? Or do you want to be good?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! mauidan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitymj View Post
    It seems that there are camps who love the Wilson's and those who don't like them
    I was hoping to hear some great sound from the Wilson's at THE Show, because the private systems I've heard (Watt Puppies) have never impressed me. Unfortunately, I didn't hear one room where I thought that the Wilsons were installed and sounded good.
    The person I went with owns all Audio Research and he was disappointed at ARC's room with the Vandersteins too. But with the Wilson's, he came away as a reaffirmed member of the camp of never hearing a Wilson set up that he liked.
    As a side note: For me the big disappointment was Evolution's room. Last year, paired with darTZeel, the Evolution MMMicroOne sounded very impressive. And Veloce, which had the same room now for three years in a row, was disappointing this year.
    I think that everyone was impressed with Pioneer's $159.00 speakers and under $800.00 system. Same with Magneplanar's room. Inexpensive gear that stood out. Esp. the Maggies.
    I thought that Magico's Q7's would have been better served by Constellation's amplification and better attention to room acoustics.
    If you're going to brag about your $750K system in the room (with Synergetic binding post jumpers costing $15K a pair... which I'm sure made the Q7's sound $15K better), you would think that you could throw down for some absorbers and bass traps, instead of relying on 4 little brass bowls surrounding the system to fix the resonance.
    Velocitymj, you and your friend went into and heard the room on the 2nd floor with Debbie W and the new Alexia's?? If so, what room did you guys prefer to this one?
    BTW, I do agree with you that the Evolution room was nothing special this year.
    I have also been in the "not too impressed" camp by Wilson's in the past ( due to their insistant use of the Focal sourced Titanium dome), BUT I have to say, that the new silk dome is in a different league and now I believe that they are great speakers.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    it's interesting that Jason Serinus heard wiry violins and Jacob Heilbrunn heard an acerbic top end as well. Both on digital, I also noticed--- I heard the same stridency/sibilence as well on my cuts from the Bliss album.

those who heard tape probably heard a much different and better demo.

Anyone hear the Vapor speaker in the Empirical Audio?
    Name:  935494_496299403772511_729592972_n.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  89.3 KB

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Do those speakers have a valve stem on the back and a sign that says "Inflate to 75 psi"?

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Do those speakers have a valve stem on the back and a sign that says "Inflate to 75 psi"?
    Straining at stools comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I don't think so, here a cut away picture:
    Name:  Nimbus.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  52.1 KB

Sensitivity: ~92dB/2.83V
    Impedance: 8 Ohm
    Low frequency cut off -3dB: ~32Hz / 25Hz in-room
    Weight: ~250lbs
    Dimensions: 53" H (from floor to peak) x 17.5" W (at the woofer center) x 26" D (including rear wall curve)
    Price: $7,895

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast