Surreal Sound Fifth Row with Tweeter upgrade

vinylsound

Feb 21, 2013
Virginia
Some will laugh at the price, some will cry, but that isn't the main focus of What's Best, is it?
I have owned these speakers now for 15 months in part as a guinea pig and in part as an owner. My listening room is something of a listening lab for Ralph Hellmer and the Surreal Sound Company.
http://www.surreal-sound.net/

These are passive dipole speakers, each channel has 6x 10" woofers, 1x 8" monitor and 1x Heil Tweeter, for a total of 16 drivers in your listening room. Because all these drivers are so very fast, integration is not a problem. Speakers come with two outboard 1000 watt amps to drive the sub-woofers.

Setup is both easy and difficult. Without much work you can get these speakers to reproduce thunderous bass and sweet melodies which will amaze your friends. The new tweeter upgrade, however, adds life-like presence to the sound stage, accuracy in hearing the recording venue in your room, sizzling cymbals and highs all without being fatiguing at all. I have said the slogan for these speakers ought to be "Let the Genie out...again and again" or "Reverse Disbelief." I have not heard every speaker nor will I, but these reproduce music better, more accurately, less colored than anything I have heard over multiple audio shows in the past few years. In fact, I think with proper setup these speakers ought to throw down the gauntlet to challenge any speaker out there.

But, proper setup is the key. The tweeter took some 200 hours to break in (it was beam-y at first) and the crossover had to settle in, I suppose. I don't know what crossovers do to get better, but after 200 or so hours, I could again listen.

I find these speakers (I also wired my entire system with the Surreal Sound Morph Cords, another topic) to deliver musical atmosphere when other high end systems I audition only present sound. The rest of my system isn't shoddy, but when my wife asked about what made the most difference in the system I could only say "It's hard not to say the Surreal Sound speakers."

For any in the Virginia area or those traveling to the Capital Audio Fest 2013, I would be happy to host an afternoon listening session. Bring your music (let me know the format ahead of time, please otherwise it's 100% vinyl). While we all have our listening priorities and these may hit all your buttons as they did mine, at the very least you owe it to yourself to give this startup company's speaker a listen and judge for yourself.

If you are looking for speakers, these must be on the short list.

Last edited:

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Disclosure: I am also a Surreal owner, no financial interest in the company.

My pair does not have the Heil tweeter, they have the 6 10" subs operating in a dipole arrangement, powered by outboard amp/crossovers, and an 8" Tang Band full range driver in a separate enclosure being driven by my KR Audio VA320 SET amp.

As above, the Surreal Sound bass drivers produce the fastest, deepest bass I have ever had in my room. While I have never been a fan of wide range high efficiency "Lowther like" drivers, the Tang Band does not exhibit the typical horn shout at all. They integrated into my room very well. The look, feel and build quality are fantastic. My pair is piano gloss black. The sub enclosure and the mid/tweeter enclosure fit together but can also be separated. That said, I can also confirm that the designer/owner, Ralph Hellmer, is an audiophile first, manufacturer second. He is also one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet

I am currently conducting and experiment in which I have removed the mid/high frequency driver cabinet, using the sub woofers only, driven by their outboard amp/crossover, running my Kharmas full range with the KR amp. I have set the crossover at about 50Hz,and keeping the sub amp gain pretty low. Because the Surreal bass is so fast and articulate, they integrate very well. The sub enclosures are about 1 ft behind and 1 ft to the outside of the Kharma 2.2s.

Surreal Sound is going to be at Capital Audio Fest, so if you are there and get a chance, stop in and see Ralph and listen to his product for yourself.

vinylsound

Feb 21, 2013
Virginia
Would love to hear the results of the Kharmas! The new tweeters once broken in present an otherworldly realism...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing