Job 225

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
A job showed up on audiogon and I was about to pull the trigger, but then I realized the high input sensitivity may be an issue. Here is a technical question. I am planning to use the Job for my center channel. I use spectral for mains. If I have two identical DACs and two different downstream amps, one with "normal" input senstivity of say 1.5V and the other with "high" input sensitivity (the Job at 0.75V), wouldn't a 1dB volume change step on the DAC result in a different volume change on the two amps?

I would think the 1dB step on the DAC represents the same voltage change coming out of the DAC, but this would result in different gain change downstream, because of input sensitivity difference. As a result, if I match the channels at say 70dB, they would be out of whack when I play at 60dB and 80dB. Any thoughts? I could of course just buy the Job, whip out the SPL meter and try this empirically, but if the cogniscienti are telling me this will indeed be a problem, I just won't buy the Job, and get an amp with input sensitivity identical to the Spectral I am using for mains.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
A job showed up on audiogon and I was about to pull the trigger, but then I realized the high input sensitivity may be an issue. Here is a technical question. I am planning to use the Job for my center channel. I use spectral for mains. If I have two identical DACs and two different downstream amps, one with "normal" input senstivity of say 1.5V and the other with "high" input sensitivity (the Job at 0.75V), wouldn't a 1dB volume change step on the DAC result in a different volume change on the two amps?

I would think the 1dB step on the DAC represents the same voltage change coming out of the DAC, but this would result in different gain change downstream, because of input sensitivity difference. As a result, if I match the channels at say 70dB, they would be out of whack when I play at 60dB and 80dB. Any thoughts? I could of course just buy the Job, whip out the SPL meter and try this empirically, but if the cogniscienti are telling me this will indeed be a problem, I just won't buy the Job, and get an amp with input sensitivity identical to the Spectral I am using for mains.

The Job monoblocs should be ready soon. Price will probably be about $3,500 a pair..

Reactions: Benoit75

Disbeliever

Dec 5, 2014
Has anyone heard the new JOB 225 amplifier? It is sold only through Amazon for around $1,500.

http://www.amazon.com/JOB-225-2-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B008NQVA2A/

Reportedly, however, the unit not only uses the same circuit designs as Goldmund amplifiers but also is made by Goldmund. Srajan Ebaen praised the JOB 225 to the skies in a recent review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/job/1.html

Is there any chance that this amplifier compares with much more expensive high-speed, solid-state designs? Does the direct coupled design pose a concern for use with modest front-end equipment and preamplification?

I have purchased the JOB 225 direct and it has made my Aurousal TL speakers sound much better, so that I may not upgrade my speakers to the new improved model Phantom Source, I have tried the Devialet-Premier and I preferred my 18 year old Class AB amplifier. Finally I am allergic to Class D amplifiers.

Benoit75

May 7, 2019
I've just found your discussions and read them with attention; thank you for all of the reviews you shared with us!

The Job monoblocs should be ready soon. Price will probably be about $3,500 a pair..
Norman, I sent you a PM, could you read it? Many thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing